Alternate tea thread

Randomguy

I am drinking nice tea right now, iced.   This made me think of Late, who is probably a criminal of some sort, and likes to talk about and buy tea, as do a handful of other reprobates here as well.

Anyway, Late, here are some tea suggestions that are very inexpensive and I think excellent examples of what they are.  The merchant is McNulty's, which despite the name, is owned by some of the nicest Chinese people you can meet.

Related image

Image result for mcnulty tea

Related image

The shop is a throwback to about 150 years ago, a time-space continuum thing happens as you enter.  It smells wonderful in there.  It is old-timey.  In fact, when I walk people around the West Village, I usually will take them in there because no matter where you think you are, you aren't anymore when you step inside.

Anyway, the tea I think you should order if you like this sort of thing follows:

• Black Mango - I love this tea.  After never having anything other than middling mango-flavored teas, this one smells and tastes like...possibility.  I only have this one iced.
  • Green Peach - Again, the only peach flavored tea I like
  • Loose Pu Erh - The liquor-like feel of this tea is nice, and is now the go-to more often than not on cold and gloomy days, it is kind of bracing.  I am almost out now, so I will have to revert back to the East Frisian from Harney for a bit, I have a good supply of that still.
  • Lung Ching Dragonwell green -  A nice all-purpose green, not too grassy (I am not into grassy).  Tastes like wholesome people smiling in stock advertising photos.

I have had others, but these are the ones I like best there.  As a bonus, they aren't expensive at all, so yay!  You can also buy things to create your own blends, too, so if you want cranberry rosehip jasmine oolong (not sure why you would want to, but different strokes...), you can buy all that reasonably, too.

You are welcome.

• Awesome 1

On 1/4/2019 at 11:51 AM, Randomguy said:

I am drinking nice tea right now, iced.   This made me think of Late, who is probably a criminal of some sort, and likes to talk about and buy tea, as do a handful of other reprobates here as well.

Anyway, Late, here are some tea suggestions that are very inexpensive and I think excellent examples of what they are.  The merchant is McNulty's, which despite the name, is owned by some of the nicest Chinese people you can meet.

Related image

Image result for mcnulty tea

Related image

The shop is a throwback to about 150 years ago, a time-space continuum thing happens as you enter.  It smells wonderful in there.  It is old-timey.  In fact, when I walk people around the West Village, I usually will take them in there because no matter where you think you are, you aren't anymore when you step inside.

Anyway, the tea I think you should order if you like this sort of thing follows:

• Black Mango - I love this tea.  After never having anything other than middling mango-flavored teas, this one smells and tastes like...possibility.  I only have this one iced.
  • Green Peach - Again, the only peach flavored tea I like
  • Loose Pu Erh - The liquor-like feel of this tea is nice, and is now the go-to more often than not on cold and gloomy days, it is kind of bracing.  I am almost out now, so I will have to revert back to the East Frisian from Harney for a bit, I have a good supply of that still.
  • Lung Ching Dragonwell green -  A nice all-purpose green, not too grassy (I am not into grassy).  Tastes like wholesome people smiling in stock advertising photos.

I have had others, but these are the ones I like best there.  As a bonus, they aren't expensive at all, so yay!  You can also buy things to create your own blends, too, so if you want cranberry rosehip jasmine oolong (not sure why you would want to, but different strokes...), you can buy all that reasonably, too.

You are welcome.

Excellent post, and I am not even a tea person!

giphy.gif

• Heart 1

One of these years, I have to go to NYC. I have a nephew there, and my wife likes the city. (She even went on the Sex and the City tour).

I wouldn't mind meeting over coffee, or sushi or whatever.

I will say this about that, I don't make a good first impression, a bit of an intellectual bull in a china shop some days.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, late said:

One of these years, I have to go to NYC. I have a nephew there, and my wife likes the city. (She even went on the Sex and the City tour).

I wouldn't mind meeting over coffee, or sushi or whatever.

I will say this about that, I don't make a good first impression, a bit of an intellectual bull in a china shop some days.

I know just where to take you. 

Wow!  A very useful post for me. Thank's a lot, Randomguy!

I drink mostly decaf tea in the evenings - with honey and sometimes rum, mostly during the cold months so this works for me.  I ordered Decaf Mango Black, Decaf Apricot, as well as regular Peach Green.  If they work well, I try the others you recommend.

I have not had loose-leaf tea since my Taiwanese college dorm roommate at IIT used to brew it in the 70's: Shau Kwan In (we all called him "Ski" for his last-name-first initials. I came up with the name Kevin Shaw that he used after college as a chemical engineer in the USA).  He had some strainers that worked like teabags and I found the ones below cheap - and with excellent reviews - on Amazon.  There are many of them on Amazon, some cheaper, but read reviews before ordering: some had non-stainless parts that corroded, some had lids that were impossible to snap-on or off, etc.  These are basically pot sized: I make tea in my 20 oz, Mr Coffee Drip Machine, simply letting the hot water work it's was to the glass pot where the tea leaves are waiting.

1911609248_!!Ibought-TeaInfuserset7_96.thumb.jpg.20d0a4c79db5fb8ed9b10da3ae6a888b.jpg

• Heart 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

So when is everyone coming for a visit?

Hopefully in the Spring.

I got a bag of Bewleys Irish Breakfast. It's an assam, and is the base for what is going to be my new tea blend. I have a bag of ceylon coming, there will be just a tiny amount in there, for brightness. I am not sure what the third tea will be, perhaps a darjeeling 2nd flush. Or first, not really sure, just certain I've tried enough blends put together by other people.

Your Barbi Benton avatar reminded me of the 1960s.