Things sure have changed. I used to use split Campbell's soup cans, furnace cement & hose clamps.

2Far

9 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I remember my Dodge Daytona had one, because of the turbo I think.  Of course the car died before the exhaust could corrode!

Seriously don’t all the modern cars have stainless exhaust? I know all of our cars have had it. The last Honda I had without it was a 1995 and as soon as the exhaust rotted out I replaced it with all stainless. That was the last exhaust I ever had to replace. My element had an exhaust flange rust out and and the local weld shop eliminated the flange with a stainless coupling welded in place.

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Seriously don’t all the modern cars have stainless exhaust? I know all of our cars have had it. The last Honda I had without it was a 1995 and as soon as the exhaust rotted out I replaced it with all stainless. That was the last exhaust I ever had to replace. My element had an exhaust flange rust out and and the local weld shop eliminated the flange with a stainless coupling welded in place.

:dontknow:  Hmm - I don;t remember ever having to replace any part of the exhaust in the Oddity, so maybe so.  The del Sol is a 95 and the exhaust system is a mess.  The Catalytic converter heat shields have fallen off of both the del Sol and the 89 Integra, but I also don;t remember ever having exhaust work done on the 89 Integra over its 15 year life.  The 88 Accord's muffler did go around 15 years or so though.

CARS.COM — A few decades ago, most car owners could count on having to replace at least part of their exhaust system every five years or sooner. Muffler shops seemed to be doing brisk business on every busy street. Today, though, most modern vehicles have stainless-steel or aluminized-steel exhaust systems that seem to last a lifetime. 

• Awesome 1

My first job out of high school was at an auto parts store. Replacement exhaust parts were at least a third of our sales and only guaranteed to last a year. Aluminized exhaust parts was a short lived thing in the 80s. :dontknow:

Other than putting performance exhaust systems on my truck and Miata since, I haven't "needed" to replace an exhaust system since the 80s.

Miata exhaust, replaced for obvious reasons... :rolleyes:

20180704_062511.jpg

Lost part of my exhaust system on My 1973 Pontiac LeMans..somewhere in the middle of the night between Chicago and MPLS...stopped at an all night garage...and I said to the guy...I am not worried about the noise...this is just to get us home...can't we use a pop can and some clamps :D  I was probably 21 years old and pretty damn proud that I thought of that...I think he wanted me to hang around til morning and get a exhaust system installed :whistle:

• Awesome 1

I once had car muffler pipes similarly jerry-rigged!

I love the pictures I've seen of how the Cubans kept 1950's American cars running into the 2000's with various clever replacements when they weren't allowed to order OEM or OEM-copy replacements.

My 1997 Ford Taurus, around 2011, had a copper pipe carry gasoline near the carburetor where years of rubbing against something else wore a small hole in it.  The Ford dealer wanted a ridiculous amount for the replacement.  My former-car-mechanic brother-in-law simply sawed the copper pipe into two pieces at the point where the hole was and hose clamped a high-temp-capable, gas-handling, Tygon-like plastic hose between the two pieces.  For the first couple of months I was worried about about the plastic failing, but it was apparently far enough from serious heat and it did fine until I got a new car in 2013.

6 hours ago, team scooter said:

Back in the 70s all of our exhaust problems were solved with a couple of clamps and a Cherry Bomb muffler. :loveshower:

cherry.jpg

Those were not legal in Pennsylvania back in the day. I found a brand new one that had fallen off someone’s car at the end of my driveway. Of course I put it on my car. A week later I got a ticket for having an illegal exhaust modifuckation.

Walker made a single-baffle muffler back in the day. Quieter than Cherry Bombs and stock looking so officers didn't look at them. But still a nice little rumble to them. 

My 1999 Dakota had a rotting muffler. Probably 15 years ago.  Took it in to the dealer so I could get the right size. It was free! They said exhaust systems had a required lifetime emissions warranty. Don't know if that is true, but it's the last time I ever needed exhaust work done.