Single Use Grocery Bags

Kirby

On 1/6/2019 at 6:56 PM, Wilbur said:

We have fabric covered, semi rigid boxes with handles.  Easy to load, easy to carry and they don't spill in the car.  Well, they do in the Bentley because of the spare tire but not the Rolls. :) 

How did you evem learn of this spillage issue?  Did your wife's maid speak to your chauffeur and kitchen staff and then tell your wife, who in turn told you, or does your wife have to go through your girl Friday or you butler like everyone else?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tizeye said:

Grocery store bags won't fit anything anything larger than wastebasket. Buy 13 gal "kitchen" bags. Front is for garbage, rear for recycling however the bag in the rear simply acts as a liner and replaced every 5th or so load when cans stick to it rather than dumping into the canister rolled to the street. Grocery store bags are NOT recyclable - at least through the home program - as they are a prohibited item which jams the processing machine. Shredded paper is also prohibited for the same reason but regular paper and junkmail is allowed to recycle.  The grocery store has a recycle can for grocery bags which is why the are bundled up to take back - if I remember next trip to grocery store. And that is the issue and also the reason I don't use my one bag as  I forgot them at home and remembered when at the store. I will use the grocery bags for the two wastebaskets and food waste, like chicken - that would stink in a day. They are too small for my shredder, so purchased special bags for it.

Realistically, if they are going to start charging you $0.15 per bag, it may be cheaper to bring own, and purchase small 'sandwich' bags for dog and other waste, and possible a size larger for wastebaskets. And train self to keep re-useable in car. That $0.15 could add up quick. 

IMG_1921.JPG

The fee here will be $.20/bag.

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I have said this all along. My guess is sorted recycling has a better chance of actually being recycled.

This is true. Single stream recycling is full of contaminated items and often ends up in the landfill. Sorted recycling is cleaner and can be sold for recycling.

We have to sort here and they have not had a bail rejected for recycling. The county still makes money recycling. Many communities are paying to have their recycling taken off their hands.

I went to the pizza place that is next to the grocery store this evening, and I saw a number of shoppers carrying their purchases out in their arms.  Either they were so motivated by the good intentions of the ban that they wouldn't even use the reusable plastic bags, or they were too cheap to pay the 15 cents.   In any event, they looked like they were fleeing some natural disaster with their life possessions,  trying to juggle everything they were carrying.   It looked sad.

• Awesome 1
  • Sad 1