Is it okay to tip the guy who does your state inspection?

Road Runner

My guy is always really easy on me.  Of course, my vehicles are extremely low mileage and look like new when I take them in.  We have the same discussions about how my vehicles are in such great shape each year.  This year, I gave him a 20 and told him to keep the change.  He seemed happy.   :)

• Awesome 1

I don't tip. They refuse to do most of the inspection for my motorcycle.. they make me test the brakes, work the lights, and show them proof of insurance.. basically they only say it's ok and sign the paper... Damn slackers don't deserve a tip

14 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Our inspection is $50.00, total scam.

I always hated PA’s. Mainly because I had to fix the darn rust holes, dang it!  I was always jealous of Ohio where you could drive a junker with pride. :D  

And NJ’s was bad but at least free. Now with emissions only it is snot bad atoll.

But the van was catalytic converter code challenged, but I am guessing it will expire before it is due in August, but we’ll see.  

21 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I always hated PA’s. Mainly because I had to fix the darn rust holes, dang it!

I just had to replace the bumper on the Pilot because it had a small hole in it. I didn't even know it had a bumper, it's buried under a ton of wrap around plastic crap that I had to take off to get to it. 

• Confused 1

On 1/8/2019 at 7:33 PM, Razors Edge said:

State safety inspection? Total bullshit! State emissions? Sometimes relevant.

Virginia does a great vehicle inspection.  At least they did when I lived there and you could see the results every time you went for a drive.  Headlights in VA point where they are supposed to.  People with bad brakes have the car pulled till repaired.

They also had a system to check the inspection stations which were regular automotive shops back then.  They had a fleet of bad cars that needed to fail and they and more good cars that checked for scam artists.  My boss at the race car shop had an inspection license and there was no fooling around.  Loss of that license would cost you good money in real repairs if you screwed up.  The car went through inspection every 6 months.  

People there had good wipers, good brakes, no exhaust leaks, proper headlight aiming.

• Heart 1

22 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The car went through inspection every 6 months.  

People there had good wipers, good brakes, no exhaust leaks, proper headlight aiming.

Inspections are still rigorous for the most part.  But we laxed up and require it once a year now instead of every 6 months.

• Confused 1

In Maryland we only have emissions tests every 2 years and they take a very short time.  You drive up to a line in the testing garage, turn the car off with the key left in the car, and take a seat in an enclosed area. The worker gets in, drives your car forward about 20 feet, hooks a electrical cable under your dash and checks your car's computer record. On older cars they put a sensor in your exhaust pipe and measure emissions.  Then an automated station lets you pay by credit card, prints out your result, you get back in your car, and drive away.  Not enough action for a tip even if the worker wasn't already motioning the next car forward.

23 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Virginia does a great vehicle inspection.  At least they did when I lived there and you could see the results every time you went for a drive.  Headlights in VA point where they are supposed to.  People with bad brakes have the car pulled till repaired.

They also had a system to check the inspection stations which were regular automotive shops back then.  They had a fleet of bad cars that needed to fail and they and more good cars that checked for scam artists.  My boss at the race car shop had an inspection license and there was no fooling around.  Loss of that license would cost you good money in real repairs if you screwed up.  The car went through inspection every 6 months.  

That sounds expensive!  Ok for the new car, but not the "classic" one! 

5 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

That sounds expensive!  Ok for the new car, but not the "classic" one! 

I believe it was $10 back in the early 70's.  The repairs however, if correctly diagnosed, would be needed on any car regardless of age.  Headlight aiming, for example, impacts others even more than you the owner/driver.  There are cars on the street in my town that should not be allowed on the road.  In theory the inspection system takes them off until they are repaired.