As years go by, people forget you

AirwickWithCheese

I really do find the story of Bubbles the chimp sad. He spends his youth at Neverland and lives a pampered privileged life socializing with Elizabeth Taylor, Jerry Brown, and Charles Nelson Reilly. Now he will spend the rest of his life eating grapes and being gawked at in a Florida swamp zoo.

It just seems sad.

1 minute ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

I never liked the clown. He didn't have the panache of Roger Dodger or dandy Don Meredith. he was more like Billy Kilmer working at Woolworth's for ice cream and sodas in the winter.

My boyhood hero.  Whenever we played football in my neighbor's backyard, I always pretended I was Johnny U.  

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

My boyhood hero.  Whenever we played football in my neighbor's backyard, I always pretended I was Johnny U.  

I was always Golden Richards. The Dallas jet setting wide receiver fraternizing with the beautiful cheerleaders and catching the hail marys from Roger to beat Washington on Thanksgiving day.

Serious for a moment and back to Bubbles. I would LOVE to see @Airehead adopt Bubbles and take care of him in his final years. Bubbles could attend the dog pageants and help with the airedales around the farm. Bubbles deserves to be loved again and not live in a blooming cage like a pig.

41E978BE00000578-4654494-image-a-33_1498

Great ape personhood

On February 28, 2007, the parliament of the Balearic Islands, an autonomous community of Spain, passed the world's first legislation that would effectively grant legal personhood rights to all great apes.[3] The act sent ripples out of the region and across Spain, producing public support for the rights of great apes. On June 25, 2008 a parliamentary committee set forth resolutions urging Spain to grant the primates the rights to life and liberty. If approved "it will ban harmful experiments on apes and make keeping them for circuses, television commercials, or filming illegal under Spain's penal code

• Heart 1

Just now, Page Turner said:

Great ape personhood

On February 28, 2007, the parliament of the Balearic Islands, an autonomous community of Spain, passed the world's first legislation that would effectively grant legal personhood rights to all great apes.[3] The act sent ripples out of the region and across Spain, producing public support for the rights of great apes. On June 25, 2008 a parliamentary committee set forth resolutions urging Spain to grant the primates the rights to life and liberty. If approved "it will ban harmful experiments on apes and make keeping them for circuses, television commercials, or filming illegal under Spain's penal code

I don't care about apes in general. They are filthy animals and Spain is just an old Mexico. I am concerned about Bubbles.

Like Bubbles, I attended private school and lived the good life. A few mistakes in life and you wake up one morning eating grapes in a cage or working as a civil servant.   :( 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

The man with the golden arm.

Image result for johnny unitas

The Greatest Game.  Unitas to Barry for a dozen receptions as Baltimore won.  I was 12 and I watched that game on television.  In fact it was an amazing season during which Unitas missed a few games and the Colts used a half back in the QB position.

I guess I haven't forgotten him.  I was still a football fan back then.

• Awesome 1

My riches can't buy everything
I want to hear the children sing
All I ever hear is the sound of rain falling on the ground
I sit and watch as tears go by

It is the evening of the day
I sit and watch the children play
Doin' things I used to do, they think they are new
I sit and watch as tears go by

6083536493_762585f758_b.jpg

...I wonder if Bubbles, granted personhood by moving to the Balearic islands as a refugee claiming asylum, could then hire an attorney and file suit for a share of all  the money they made off using his image for commercial sales and other profitable purposes.  My guess is he never signed a contract, so one could at this point argue that all the Michael Jackson monies earned while he was alive had been as a result of defrauding this collaborator in his artistic endeavors.  Or maybe palimony ?

• Awesome 1

She didn't remember me!

A while back when I was in my 40's, at a political club to which I belonged, I met the mother of the first girl I ever dated - we were in the 8th grade, went to different schools, met her through a friend who soon after moved away from our block, and I took her to a small community-association carnival.  The girl and I had the exact same birthday but she was born at 6 pm and I at 9 pm so I joked with her that I didn't mind dating an older woman.

Later I dumped her because she was so negative about everything. Over the next couple years, friends of mine who went to her school told me she had filled out just fine and I was an idiot.  Then, the last two years of high school we went to the same school.  She and I were in a lot of classes together.  She was so gorgeous from head to toe.  She was still a bitch, though!  But she did remember we had the same birthday and I was her first date.

So, a few weeks after meeting the mother, I ran into her again.  She said she mentioned my name to her daughter, but she didn't remember me!  I rationalized she's got to have an awful memory!