Another damn robot stealing American jobs

jsharr

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I'm not sure robots are a threat.  For example look at Pbot and the parodies generated.  All crap.

Pbot R  U  N    N   O  F  T.

I think that Robutt may be Pbot.  He was fat and lazy and sweaty, which is a rare combination as far as robots go.

• Heart 1

I wonder if eventually, to keep the populace and their butts happy, we'll go to a 3-day/4-day week with "full" pay where two people do the same job over all 7 days?  Otherwise half the working-age population will be unemployed.

Eventually, there's going to be much less need for human labor.

41 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I wonder if eventually, to keep the populace and their butts happy, we'll go to a 3-day/4-day week with "full" pay where two people do the same job over all 7 days?  Otherwise half the working-age population will be unemployed.

Eventually, there's going to be much less need for human labor.

That sounds like the crap about how computers were to make our lives easier.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

Indeed.  Life went from annoying to constant 2 minute drills trying to meet WTF endless, shallow deadlines. Computers didn't adapt to us -- we adapted to them.... just the way the ruling class likes it.

And they started oot as more of a counterculture thing, at least personal ones did. But the man took the personal oot of it pretty quick. :D

Just now, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

And they started oot as more of a counterculture thing, at least personal ones did. But the man took the personal oot of it pretty quick. :D

Once they started connecting them all up (you know, as if you had a mainframe terminal), the personal left the building.  Now I just use them for my home use to post jibberish and semi-meaningful thoughts to strangers out in the world that I /* probably */ will never meet. But I have met 4 people on this site... so I guess anything is possible.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

Once they started connecting them all up (you know, as if you had a mainframe terminal), the personal left the building.  Now I just use them for my home use to post jibberish and semi-meaningful thoughts to strangers out in the world that I /* probably */ will never meet. But I have met 4 people on this site... so I guess anything is possible.

If you ever come to You Nork City RG has to facilitate a meetup. :D  Dems da rules. :D

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

22 hours ago, Dottles said:

That sounds like the crap about how computers were to make our lives easier.

Yes, but now it is getting "easier" in terms of not needing human labor. "Easier" meant computers were going to do work for us -but that has included things like making machine parts instead of a human on a lathe and, in another decade, we won't need many long-distance truck drivers.

1 minute ago, MickinMD said:

Yes, but now it is getting "easier" in terms of not needing human labor. "Easier" meant computers were going to do work for us -but that has included things like making machine parts instead of a human on a lathe and, in another decade, we won't need many long-distance truck drivers.

Yes, just so you know I was being an opportunist to propel my thoughts and was not trying to downplay your point.  I know what you meant.  It was just a great springboard.

On 1/11/2019 at 10:44 AM, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Maybe if you move to WI you can have br46's mattress testing job. 

I'm still looking for that department. I'm thinking that it's in the basement.

On 1/11/2019 at 12:47 PM, maddmaxx said:

I'm not sure robots are a threat

20 years ago we had over 200 employees now we have half that. All replaced with automatic assembly machines. 

But we will always need people to fix the robots and automatic assembly machines when they fail. 

11 minutes ago, BR46 said:
On 1/11/2019 at 1:47 PM, maddmaxx said:

20 years ago we had over 200 employees now we have half that. All replaced with automatic assembly machines. 

But we will always need people to fix the robots and automatic assembly machines when they fail.

1 or 2 skilled workers replace dozens of unskilled workers.

• Heart 1

ik7bqrlpzbhkupjtufbg.jpg

TULSA, OK—Dreading the day new technologies would emerge to render his craft obsolete, Vince Callahan, an autoworker crouched inside a robotic welding arm, told reporters Tuesday that he was terrified a robot would eventually take his job. “This is all I know how to do. If they ever make a robot that can do this job, I’m finished,” said Callahan, adding that, with 20 years of experience in the ultra-specific field and only a trade school degree, he would be unlikely to find another job in the event of being replaced by an automated machine. “Huddled here in the control center of a welding arm all day and performing the same identical task 2,000 times in a row isn’t exactly the easiest job in the world, but I’ve got a family to feed. I hope the powers that be understand that this job takes the type of heart and passion only a human can provide.” Callahan also expressed fears that robots would one day replace his wife’s job handing out soft drinks from inside a vending machine.