Snow Sat-Sun

MickinMD

We're going to get the first snowfall of the year and even though just about everyone in Central Maryland has seen over 30" snowfalls here, the 2" to 4" expected Sat. afternoon to Sun. afternoon will be treated like one of the Biblical Plagues of Egypt with great hoarding.  I'm going shopping today, 1 pm Friday, my normal shopping day and I hope the stores aren't sold out of bread, milk, eggs, etc.  I have all the salt, shovels, etc. I need sitting next to my door and my car brush/squeegee is in the car. The highs for Mon-Thurs are forecast for the high 30F's to mid-40F's, so the roads should be in decent shape Mon. AM though with black ice in spots but totally clear by Tues - my next usual shopping day.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

We're going to get the first snowfall of the year and even though just about everyone in Central Maryland has seen over 30" snowfalls here, the 2" to 4" expected Sat. afternoon to Sun. afternoon will be treated like one of the Biblical Plagues of Egypt with great hoarding.  I'm going shopping today, 1 pm Friday, my normal shopping day and I hope the stores aren't sold out of bread, milk, eggs, etc.  I have all the salt, shovels, etc. I need sitting next to my door and my car brush/squeegee is in the car. The highs for Mon-Thurs are forecast for the high 30F's to mid-40F's, so the roads should be in decent shape Mon. AM though with black ice in spots but totally clear by Tues - my next usual shopping day.

Does 2-4" really cause people to panic? We got that yesterday and and it was business as usual. We have a dry period ahead, then it looks like snow 1/16-1/25. The resort just hit 199" for the season. 

Two years ago we had a storm close almost all roads into the valley. The pass closed for a week. The canyon closed for three days and the highway from the north was consider impassable. Nobody panicked. It just meant better skiing and fatbiking. 

1 minute ago, dennis said:

Does 2-4" really cause people to panic? We got that yesterday and and it was business as usual. We have a dry period ahead, then it looks like snow 1/16-1/25. The resort just hit 199" for the season. 

Two years ago we had a storm close almost all roads into the valley. The pass closed for a week. The canyon closed for three days and the highway from the north was consider impassable. Nobody panicked. It just meant better skiing and fatbiking. 

I think most of the panic is having to drive with all the other idiots on the roads.  I am lucky that I can usually take a day off, but it is bad when it happens while I am at work.  Of course the ice cream sandwich and thank you note industries HAVE to be paying off the tv stations to make a big whoop-ti-do aboot snow!

Just now, dennis said:

Yeah I think so.  When I lived in DC a snow storm with 6" of snow caused major issues as they don't get a lot of snow there.  Where as you guys get so much it's nothing. Kinda like rain in SoCal, jacks up our freeways but good.

My MIL in VA is in full blown panic mode... Had to hear about it last night.

Just now, ChrisL said:

Kinda like rain in SoCal, jacks up our freeways but good.

I'll bet you really get that "slippery when first wet" syndrome that driver's ed always drones on and on aboot.  With all that traffic and so little rain it has to take quite a while to wash the earl and ball bearings off the roadways when it starts to rain.

Just now, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I'll bet you really get that "slippery when first wet" syndrome that driver's ed always drones on and on aboot.  With all that traffic and so little rain it has to take quite a while to wash the earl and ball bearings off the roadways when it starts to rain.

Oh man it's smash em up derby when we get a good rain.  Yeah people forget you can't brake at the last minute, especially during the first rain in a long time. Yeah it's noticeable

2 hours ago, dennis said:

Yes, they panic but only leading up to the storm. Afterwards, the attitude is mostly "meh". The stores will be crowded today and they mostly stock up on bread, milk, and toilet paper. And alcoholic beverages. People at work keep asking me how much snow we're going to get like I'm some sort of DeathJim. I like to vary the forecasts as I go along. 

2 hours ago, dennis said:

In Baltimore, DC or Northern Virginia... absolutely. It once took me 6 hours to get home from downtown DC to Baltimore, a drive that should have been under two hours, because of less than an inch of snow. People were abandoning their cars at the roadside. 

22 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

Yes, they panic but only leading up to the storm. Afterwards, the attitude is mostly "meh". The stores will be crowded today and they mostly stock up on bread, milk, and toilet paper. And alcoholic beverages. People at work keep asking me how much snow we're going to get like I'm some sort of DeathJim. I like to vary the forecasts as I go along. 

Do people think the stores will never get food again or there will be a shortage? If it snows today, it'll be gone tomorrow. It's not like you'll have to wait weeks to get more food. 

Running out of beer is one thing, but who cares if you run out of bread?

I went shopping from 1-2:30 pm, after checking to make sure I still had a 40 lb unopened bag of salt - I haven't needed it the past two winters!

This was a mostly junk food run, but I want to enjoy football this weekend while I'm "snowed in."  The roads/stores around 1 pm were mostly crowded but I seemed to catch all the green lights and checkout at stores at just the right time!

When I got to Aldi, where I usually park 4-5 parking spaces from the store around 1 pm, I had to park about 15 spaces from the store. Inside, I saw one bored looking husband pushing and pulling two shopping carts behind his wife - who was pushing another one!  There was only one breakfast bowl on a freezer shelf (I eat them most mornings) but a worker arrived just in time to stock more - I buy 4 on Fridays since Tuesday is my next usual shopping day. I also bought Aldi's store brand Scoops corn chips and Aldi's makes-name-brands-look-like-purees Casa Mamita Chunky Salsa and an often-hard-to-find-elsewhere wax-carton quart of half-and-half for my coffee that has an expiration date of March 4 - the plastic bottles usually expire just one week ahead.

When I got to the checkout line there was only one cashier and a long line with mostly full shopping carts.  Just then another cashier arrived, looked at me carrying all my groceries in a reusable insulated bag, and motioned me to the register she opened!

I then drove to the Food Lion near my sister's home and it was NOT crowded - though some store shelves looked picked-clean, particularly frozen foods. I got two 13 oz. Boston Market meals: Meatballs and Noodles - sort of a Stroganoff dish and a chicken, broccoli and fettuccine meal.  They will do fine if I get tired of shoveling/brushing snow over the two snow days or clearing off the car and am hungry but too tired to cook.

I bought some unique things, hard-to-find locally outside of Food Lion, to get me through the NFL weekend while I'm "snowed in:"  Wise BBQ Chips (the excellent stuff in the red bags - not the Honey BBQ crap), Rold Gold Cheddar Mini Pretzels,  Snack Pack Sugar-Free Chocolate Pudding, Carolina Nut's very excellent Sriracha Ranch Peanuts and Planters Spanish Redskin Peanuts!  So I have my choice this weekend to go with either "brat"-style hotdogs or ground beef patties or salmon burgers sitting in my freezer.