Cooking plans!

petitepedal

That poor sleep on Thursday, messed up my plan to get the ingredients for Chicken Cacciatore with Polenta...a slow cooker recipe out of Eating Well (my plan was to bring the magazine with me to get all the ingredients on my way home :dontknow:  I didn't get enough chicken..I need chicken broth.. a can of tomatoes and some red wine..oh and another 2 pounds of chicken thighs :wacko:....It serves 8...but I think it will freeze okay!

This Jan/Feb Eating Well (which apparently absorbed "Cooking Light" magazine...(at least it now features "the best of cooking light"...Anyway they have some good sounding chicken dishes this time..some  stove top..some crockpot...some made with shredded chicken ...some with Chicken Sausage....I see at least 3 I would like to try....starting with this one!

Interesting how slow cooker results seem to vary.  A whole chicken usually comes oot fabulously IIRC, but beef roasts always seem to be dry, and seem to do much better in the oven.  My ham and beans and greens came oot marvelously in it though.  It has been quite a while since I have cooked much. 

I thought maybe longjohn had gotten his cooking plan together already!  But I forgot - men are usually not rash. :D

• Haha 1

I would not be this far along in my plans if I had not come across all these yummy chicken recipes..  My go to salad the last 2 weeks...mixed greens, a clementine (cutie) orange..dried cranberries and a lemon/garlic homemade dressing...oh with a bit of diced chicken breast... I will probably continue with that similar salad as well...

I have not had tomato in awhile ....night shade...and it will activate my psoriasis but hey once and awhile...:dontknow:

18 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Interesting how slow cooker results seem to vary.  A whole chicken usually comes out fabulously IIRC, but beef roasts always seem to be dry, and seem to do much better in the oven.  My ham and beans and greens came out marvelously in it though.  It has been quite a while since I have cooked much. 

I thought maybe longjohn had gotten his cooking plan together already!  But I forgot - men are usually not rash. :D

The temp gets too high on a lot of crockpots. Mine was made in the 1970s. There are a few still made properly.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I would not be this far along in my plans if I had not come across all these yummy chicken recipes..  My go to salad the last 2 weeks...mixed greens, a clementine (cutie) orange..dried cranberries and a lemon/garlic homemade dressing...oh with a bit of diced chicken breast... I will probably continue with that similar salad as well...

I have not had tomato in awhile ....night shade...and it will activate my psoriasis but hey once and awhile...:dontknow:

Eazy peazey recipes:

dump a thing of tsziki sauce on..

mince some dried apricots, stir in an equal amount of bbq sauce, add any spice you like

get a bottle of Indian slow cooker sauce, stir in a tblsp of tandoori paste, add a little ghee or coconut oil

add a couple tblsps of Korean miso to a bbq sauce

cook it any way you want

• Heart 1

On 1/12/2019 at 8:50 AM, petitepedal said:

That poor sleep on Thursday, messed up my plan to get the ingredients for Chicken Cacciatore with Polenta...a slow cooker recipe out of Eating Well (my plan was to bring the magazine with me to get all the ingredients on my way home :dontknow:  I didn't get enough chicken..I need chicken broth.. a can of tomatoes and some red wine..oh and another 2 pounds of chicken thighs :wacko:....It serves 8...but I think it will freeze okay!

This Jan/Feb Eating Well (which apparently absorbed "Cooking Light" magazine...(at least it now features "the best of cooking light"...Anyway they have some good sounding chicken dishes this time..some  stove top..some crockpot...some made with shredded chicken ...some with Chicken Sausage....I see at least 3 I would like to try....starting with this one!

Make it without the chicken!

The dish looks good, Petite!

It sure has lots of ingredients (recipe below).  Since I don't use it often, instead of chicken broth when I cook, I use a jar of "Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Base," when chicken or beef broth is called for. It has a shelf-life of many years unopened and a refrigerated shelf life of two years after opening.  It's a paste that dissolves easily into liquids. It comes in beef, chicken, ham, and oyster varieties, many of them in low sodium or organc versions.

I'm not a big fan of polenta (cornmeal mush) but I like the cornmeal enough that it might work real well here. The recipe itself notes: " Not a fan of polenta? Try this healthy chicken dinner over pasta instead."  I think wide egg noodles or fettucine would work well, too.

Slow-Cooker Chicken Cacciatore with Polenta (http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/269819/slow-cooker-chicken-cacciatore-with-polenta/)

363826823_Slow-CookerChickenCacciatorewithPolentaEatingWell.thumb.jpg.fca5d7b42bd292e49a1153926ac397ea.jpg

• Prep
    25 m
  • Ready In
    8 h 25 m

Recipe By: Meredith Butcher “This rustic stew cooks all day in the slow cooker so you can come home to a comforting, hot dinner. Not a fan of polenta? Try this healthy chicken dinner over pasta instead.”

Ingredients

• 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    • 2 cups chopped red bell peppers
    • 2 cups chopped yellow onion
    • 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, halved
    • ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
    • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
    • 3 tablespoons minced garlic
    • ¼ cup chopped fresh oregano
    • ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
    • ½ cup red wine
    • 4 pounds bone-in, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
    • 1 (28 ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
    • 1 cup unsalted chicken broth
    • ¼ cup drained capers
    • ¼ cup pitted Kalamata olives
    • 3 cups water
    • 1⅓ cups uncooked instant polenta
    • ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
    • ¼ cup torn fresh basil

Directions

• 1 Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, onion, mushrooms and ¼ teaspoon salt; cook, stirring often, until beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Add flour, tomato paste, garlic, oregano and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in wine; cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits, for 30 seconds.
  • 2 Transfer the mixture to a 6-quart slow cooker. Stir in chicken, tomatoes, broth and capers. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours.
  • 3 Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board; let cool for 5 minutes. Remove bones and return the meat to the slow cooker. Stir in olives and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Cover to keep warm.
  • 4 Meanwhile, bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in polenta; cook, stirring often, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan. Serve the chicken and sauce over the polenta, topped with basil.
  • Equipment: 6-qt. slow cooker

On 1/12/2019 at 9:05 AM, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Interesting how slow cooker results seem to vary.  A whole chicken usually comes oot fabulously IIRC, but beef roasts always seem to be dry, and seem to do much better in the oven.  My ham and beans and greens came oot marvelously in it though.  It has been quite a while since I have cooked much. 

I agree about beef - I like to use a pressure cooker for pot roasts and I love the recipe with mushroom gravy here:

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/pressure-cooker-pot-roast-with-mushroom-gravy-easy-380069?photo=cGhvdG8tMzU2NTk4

710600219_PressureCookerPotRoastwithMushroomGravy.png.529cb7498bc0b884d800d4524f234d67.png

I bought one of those veggie cages to sit on top of the meat and fill it with potatoes and carrots.

But I do like slow-cooker chicken or ham soup and other recipes in a crock pot.

I finally got to eat it this afternoon (church, gym, trader joes and a meet up with a board member that took about 1.5 hours)...  Anyway..yummy I brought Margaret a serving...and a container for my friend Nanette...

I finished off the weekend making a cheesy cauliflower soup...I had not made it before (I have not had much luck with soups...but this was pretty good)   So with these two meals and salad....I got the week covered!!

• Heart 2

While I use my slow cookers on occasion I've now bought a gadget which I find brilliant. As I cook for one I now have little use for my oven and with this small fan oven (for that's really what it is) I find that now I can cook at a lower temp and for a shorter time.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/182832242026?chn=ps

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, onbike1939 said:

While I use my slow cookers on occasion I've now bought a gadget which I find brilliant. As I cook for one I now have little use for my oven and with this small fan oven (for that's really what it is) I find that now I can cook at a lower temp and for a shorter time.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/182832242026?chn=ps

Love the name. 

PureMate 4L Air Fryer Cooker Oven Low Fat Oil Free Healthy Air Fryer 1500W White

That's a f'ing mouthful.

I've never owned a crockpot or slow cooker. I just use my range. It seems to work fine.

12 hours ago, dennis said:

Love the name. 

PureMate 4L Air Fryer Cooker Oven Low Fat Oil Free Healthy Air Fryer 1500W White

That's a f'ing mouthful.

I've never owned a crockpot or slow cooker. I just use my range. It seems to work fine.

Think of these as something to aim for........it's good to have ambition.