Reading lately?

Ralphie

Just finished You May Also Like, and overall it was a disappointment.  Didn;t really take much away from it, and it just read like blah, blah, blah, blah.

However, that is snot going to stop me from reading one of his others, Traffic.  I am halfway through the iBooks sample because my liberry doesn;t carry it, but I can request an interlibrary loan for it, so it looks like a trip to the liberry is in order today.

Anyone of us who drives could have written this Traffic book!  I am checking oot his blog on the subject now.  I have always loved driving and am now stuck with a long commute so I have always been interested in the subject.

http://howwedrive.com/

http://tomvanderbilt.com/books/you-may-also-like/

ymal-jacket.png

traffic-pb-lg.jpg

And this is why most of my bike routes are clockwise!

The Brain-Sucking Tendency of Left Turns

From the Edmonton Journal:

“The study, which included collaborators from Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre and Baycrest in Toronto, involved 16 healthy volunteers; men and women aged 20 to 30, with seven years of driving experience, on average. The team looked at the brain areas activated when driving straight, versus making simple right turns, or left turns with or without oncoming traffic.

They found that making a left-hand turn in traffic lights up a “huge” network in the brain “that was well over and above anything we saw with straight driving or even turning right,” Schweizer said. Specifically, they saw dramatically increased activity in brain regions involved in visual processing, spatial navigation and motor co-ordination.

“Think about it,” Schweiz-er says. “You’re in a busy intersection. You have to look at your own traffic light, to make sure you don’t turn on a red, and you have to look at the oncoming traffic to time your manoeuvre so you don’t get T-boned.” Drivers also have to watch for pedestrians crossing in front of them, from the left and the right.

A right-hand turn is not nearly so demanding. “You have that oncoming traffic on the left, but you don’t have to co-ordinate as much,” Schweizer said.”

Just now, Myself said:

Still working on the Technical Manual, it's rather long, and pretty intense.  If I read it too fast, I won't retain as much.  Plus listening to blood bank podcasts.  Also some fun reading.

I almost picked up a book in the library's new book section aboot blood.  Part of the jacket blurb said the US is the OPEC of plasma - sounded interesting but too icky for me!  I picked one on driverless car development instead.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I almost picked up a book in the library's new book section aboot blood.  Part of the jacket blurb said the US is the OPEC of plasma - sounded interesting but too icky for me!  I picked one on driverless car development instead.

Well, driverless cars are related to blood.