I've Seens A Couple Of These Bikes

Razors Edge

I'm a huge fan of aluminum frames and think it's an under represented material.  Everyone wants carbon and will get 105 or even Tiagra and leaden wheels to hit a price point with a carbon frame.  I'd rather have bling wheels & Ultegra with aluminum for the same price point.

This is what I did with my Anthem.  High end wheels, components and suspension on aluminum frame and got a sweet ride for $1,500 less than the comperably spec'd carbon model. My bike is about 1 lb heavier than the carbon model with same spec.  

The carbon model at the same price point as mine has lower end components, suspension and wheels and is about 2.5 lbs heavier than mine.  

I could upgrade the frame for about $1,800 and lose that pound or swap out the crank and cassette for about $900 and drop a pound. 

Too bad Giant discontinued my model and dumbed it down so at the same price point the only option is carbon.   My frame is now only on  an entry level DS bike.

5 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I have one allyouminnyum bike and one steel. I ride the steel one and leave the allyewminnyum bike on the trainer. It gives a really smooth ride on the trainer.

I can't speak for that bike but Specialized and Cannondale have had sweet aluminum bikes that do ride nice.  Yeah I had a mid 90's AL bike and it rode like a jackhammer too but my current cross bike actually has a nice ride on the road.

VB1 always preached it's the build not the material and he's 100% right.

...you can look at the diameter of the down tube, seat tube, and chainstays on that Specialized Sagan bike and assume it was not designed with a cushy ride quality in mind.  It is amazing to me how much advancement in the hydroforming of aluminum alloy bicycle tubing has been achieved by the Asians.  It looks like they can pretty much replicate any form that is done in CF plastic, which is quite an achievement given the difference in materials and process.

• Heart 1