Teaching my gal math

Dottleshead

13 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I come from a family of women, several who did their university degrees in applied sciences:  medicine, engineering and life sciences (biology).  I'm sure some could help. 

Some of the brightest students in my upper division math classes were women. Math or software it seems doesn't have a preference for a penis or vagina. 

• Heart 1

Make sure to teach her:

Let a=1 and b=1

Then:    a^2 = a^2

and       ab = b^2

Subtracting:  a^2 - ab = a^2 - b^2

Factoring out "a" on the left: a (a - b) = a^2 - b^2

Factoring the difference of two squares on the right: a (a -b) = (a + b)(a - b)

Canceling out (a - b) on each side: a = a + b

Substituting values: 1 = 2

Hint: If you don't see the mistake, I used to stump my calculus-taking gifted and talented physics students with this to teach them why you can't divide by zero.

Here is me tutoring my wife in history as she's a lot smarter in math than me. True story...

The Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor not the Americans.  What, no, the Americans bombed Pearl Harbor.  It's an American base, why would we bomb our own base? Are you sure? Positive.   I don't believe you. OK but I'm still right.  They used the atomic bomb on it, yeah we bombed Pearl Harbor...? She bombed the test but did pass the class.  

Years later we took the kids to Hawaii and went to Pear Harbor.  I teased her about us bombing  it which didn't go over too well.

So we got through the associated property of addition and multiplication.  That was pretty easy for her to get her mind around as I could easily apply it to real world examples -- showing her that it doesn't matter how the operands are ordered or grouped -- as long as the operands are all using addition.  However, the distributive property for multiplication and division started pushing her.  She had enough and reached her limit.  It was good though because I think I know where she is at in this process.  So tonight we start back with the very, very basics. We start way back and she has devoted herself to doing the work.  Math is a do it yourself exercise that you learn through repetition.  There's no better way.  

She's going to go back and rehash her division, fractions, and percentages. I told her it's good she knows the basics cold and she agrees. She actually wants to do it.  Awesome.

• Heart 1

On 1/12/2019 at 7:37 PM, Dottles said:

............................snip....................................

After some terrific sex, we actually went to bed talking math and discussed a Saturday bike ride.  I feel I'm the luckiest man alive.

I'm really jealous of you being able to talk maths.....seriously.