NFL Conference Championship Round (now Official thread)

Kzoo

Look, I dislike the Saints as much as the next guy and I feel that Sean Payton and anyone else even remotely involved in their pay to injure other players scheme should be out of football for life, but the refs blew some big calls in that game.

I don't think the Rams stand a chance against the Patriots, but I will still be cheering for them.

If the Saints would have won, I would have become a one day Patriots fan and taken my seat next to Wheels on the band wagon.

Image may contain: 3 people, outdoor

Image may contain: text

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I heard a sports commentator on the radio this morning say that Commissioner Goodell has the power to direct the teams (Saints/Rams) to replay the end of the game at the point of the missed call.  That would be interesting, wouldn't it?   :)

They should do that with both games just for the hell of it.  It's not like any of the four teams are teams any normal person would root for.  At this point, I'm just waiting for August. 

56 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Look, I dislike the Saints as much as the next guy and I feel that Sean Payton and anyone else even remotely involved in their pay to injure other players scheme should be out of football for life, but the refs blew some big calls in that game.

I don't think the Rams stand a chance against the Patriots, but I will still be cheering for them.

If the Saints would have won, I would have become a one day Patriots fan and taken my seat next to Wheels on the band wagon.

Image may contain: 3 people, outdoor

Image may contain: text

The frustrating part of this dialogue is there were numerous no calls that could have changed the game both ways, the PI call just being the most decisive.

Nobody is really talking about how poorly Bree's played. They had a receiver open in the end zone and the passs was short  and he missed Michael Thomas mid field which should have been a game changing play.  Bree's could have blown the game open earlier and didnt.

8 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

The frustrating part of this dialogue is there were numerous no calls that could have changed the game both ways, the PI call just being the most decisive.

Nobody is really talking about how poorly Bree's played. They had a receiver open in the end zone and the passs was short  and he missed Michael Thomas mid field which should have been a game changing play.  Bree's could have blown the game open earlier and didnt.

Agreed.  You blow a 13 point lead and get yourself into a play catch up situation and begin to force plays and bad things happen.

No game comes down to one play.  It took all game to get to that point, but lot of missed or made opportunities come into play every single game.

• Heart 1

There are always countless plays that could have changed the game had they gone the other way.  Like when the Chicago kicker was blamed for the "double doink" against the Eagles - there were lots of other ways the Bears could have made up those points elsewhere in the game.  But this was different because it wasn't the players, but the refs, and given the situation (less than 2 minutes left in a tie game) the Saints would have gotten a first down in good field position and an excellent chance for the game winner.

Surely there were questionable calls in the AFC game too, like the "phantom" roughing the passer or the Edelman non-touch.  When Brady was picked shortly afterward (after which one of these I don't remember), I felt that at least the silver lining was people couldn't really complain about the call because the pick ended the drive anyway.  Even-Steven.

I wonder what it's like to go through an NFL postseason and not wonder how much different things could have been if the refs made the right calls.  I fully expect that interference will be reviewable next year, possibly other penalties too.  The problem is they keep uncovering new issues, and making the rules more complicated as a result - which continues to make the refs' jobs harder.  Some of those reviews, receiver bobbling the ball, it hits the ground, is it a catch or not?  I can't tell anymore - though late in the game, with the explanations offered, the NE catch that was, and the KC catch that wasn't, both made sense to me.

Yeah, it seems like generally New England cheers for the Pats and everyone else cheers for their opponent.  My guess is the Pats will also benefit from New Orleans' full support this year.

in a close game like these, 1 play is very often the difference.  Opportunities at other parts of the game?  Unless a team is just blowing plays, those opportunities didn't get cashed in because it was a close game that one play can decide.

That miss was so unbelievable blatant, and directly changed the out come of the playoffs.  Even for the next game - Saints would have a MUCH better chance to beat the Pats.

This isn't about review, that was inexcuseable.

And I despise the saints

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Ltdskilz said:

I thought Jimmy Buffet would do a better National Anthem. :mellow:

I didn't hear it, but I heard about it.  

Jimmy Buffet?  Did they pick him because of his unmatched vocal prowess, or because nothing says New Orleans like Jimmy Buffet?  I get it, where were they going to find a musician in New Orleans, but Buffet?

6 hours ago, 12string said:

I didn't hear it, but I heard about it.  

Jimmy Buffet?  Did they pick him because of his unmatched vocal prowess, or because nothing says New Orleans like Jimmy Buffet?  I get it, where were they going to find a musician in New Orleans, but Buffet?

Buffet pretty much got his career started doing live gigs in NOLA. Then he went to Miss. to start his recording career. We need Parr8 to chime in here.