Please tell me about your luggage

Kirby

I think it's almost time for a new carry on suitcase.  I currently have an Eagle Creek bag in a bright blue that I like, but I think it's beginning to look a bit worn.  But it seems to hold a lot for its size, isn't too heavy and h?as a lot of useful pockets.  So tell me about your luggage - hard shell or soft sided?  4 wheels or 2?  Brand ?

I like the look of those light weight hard shell bags that seem pretty durable, but I like having at least one outside pocket for books or other things I want to keep handy.  But let me know what you like or don't like about your luggage, please.

For checked bags we have a Timbuk2 26" roller bag. 2 wheels, soft side, clam shell open. Nice enough bag for a long trip. For carry on 2 wheel Costco style. WoScrapr like 4 wheel. Nothing special really. Although WoScrapr has been buying a few lately. I guess we are going on a trip. We always pack a couple of day packs for walking around town. Usually these have a water bottle pocket on the outside. I think one daypack has a top access which is handy. It is small so doesn't go into the main pack. I think there is a separate zipper on top to get into the main storage. My daypack is large enough to fit my chromebook

• Heart 1

Just now, Scrapr said:

I just took my neighbor to the airport. 3:45 am!!! She had a rolling duffle. I don't think I would like that. Pretty heavy. And I think it was > carry on size. Then everything is all jumbled up. I guess packing cubes would help

I use a rolling duffle bag.  It's not for suits and dress shirts and packing takes some planning.

• Heart 1

I have a Samsonite hard case with 4 wheels that rotate.  It's just big enough to fit in the overhead.  It doesn't have any outside pockets but I usually travel with a briefcase/backpack.

Ive had it around 5 years and have used it a lot for personal and business travel.  it's got a few knicks but is holding up really well.

• Heart 1

When I went on vacation in 2017 I wanted luggage that was hard shell but light and could be locked in US Airports/Airlines.

I got the silver luggage below with a flexible, hard-to-dent, hard shell at my local Costco for around May or June, 2017 for $159.99.  It was $238 on Amazon at the time.

I really like them - they have the standard divider with pockets stretching across the middle inside - except I wish they made the carryon so you could easily hook it on the big one's walking handle to make it easier walking through airports, etc.  I can just barely get the carryon's soft plastic handle (the handle showing on the right side of the first picture below) around the bigger one's walking handle and slide it down to the bottom of the handle and easily walk with them joined together that way, but it is a real tight fit. Next time I use it in an airport I'll take something like a tight bungee cord to join them together.

The big piece weighs 12.6 lbs empty and when I stuff it full it weighs about 45 lbs (I have a hand-held luggage scale), less than Southwest Airlines max. of 50 k lbs and it just within Southwest's (standard Airline) max of length + width + height of 62 inches.  The second zipper, visible on the lock picture at the bottom, allows the locked big piece to expand in height by a couple inches if you unzip it.

The carryon meets standard carry on dimensions: "Carryon items are limited to one bag plus one smaller, personal-type item. Southwest Airlines limits carryon bag dimensions to 10x16x24 inches."

Both pieces have a special TSA keyslot (see closeup at bottom) so you can lock it the combination (of your choice) lock going through the airport and on the plane - the TSA has a key that will unlock them.  Note that: "In the United States the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requires access to luggage without the passenger being present," so you have to have leave luggage unlocked unless you have a TSA lock - which can also be be done with small extra add-on TSA-openable locks that are cheap.

The bigger one's dimensions are listed under the top pic

734572323_160atCostco-IboughtatCostcostore.thumb.JPG.6582f3272df51f2602df2fcee66aee03.JPG

1082808940_28inx19inx13indimensions.JPG.8364bfc78eea7c70298a919e2528e09d.JPG

The zippers have a tongue that inserts into the lock panel.  The TSA keyslot on the left allows you to lock your luggage in USA Airports:

Lock.JPG.a8132b97a4a7a1c234ac988566e3c18b.JPG

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I use a rolling duffle bag.  It's not for suits and dress shirts and packing takes some planning.

...I have one of those that I use for local trips around here of three to five days (like up to lake Tahoe).  Mine is way too big to use as a carry on, but meets the limitations for checked baggage, and I usually use a small rucksack for a carry on that has compartments and pockets on the outside.

I honestly think that @AirwickWithCheese ought to pick out @Kirby 's new luggage, because he is certain to consider all the possibilities, in terms of practical use and tasteful design.  This is something he will be really, really good at.  I know this for certain. :) 

Rectangular-Gucci-Leather-Tag-Authentic-

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

We have an inexpensive set. The wheels are clunky, the pull out handles are flimsy/hard to operate and most of the plastic inside corner reinforcements have cracked off. After every trip we tell ourselves we'll buy new luggage but....

When I do look for the next set, it will be a quality brand with heavy duty wheels, the ability to stack and roll with a unique or ugly color that will be easy to spot on the turntable 200 feet away.

10 minutes ago, team scooter said:

We have an inexpensive set. The wheels are clunky, the pull out handles are flimsy/hard to operate and most of the plastic inside corner reinforcements have cracked off. After every trip we tell ourselves we'll buy new luggage but....

When I do look for the next set, it will be a quality brand with heavy duty wheels, the ability to stack and roll and a unique or ugly color that will be easy to spot on the turntable 200 feet away.

You can always tie some crime scene tape to the handle.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

We have our dog's brightly colored bandanas tied to the handles. But unless the handle is pointed in the right direction at just the right moment.... If they were hard sided, bright colored duct tape used creatively would work too.

10 hours ago, Kirby said:

I think it's almost time for a new carry on suitcase.  I currently have an Eagle Creek bag in a bright blue that I like, but I think it's beginning to look a bit worn.  But it seems to hold a lot for its size, isn't too heavy and h?as a lot of useful pockets.  So tell me about your luggage - hard shell or soft sided?  4 wheels or 2?  Brand ?

I like the look of those light weight hard shell bags that seem pretty durable, but I like having at least one outside pocket for books or other things I want to keep handy.  But let me know what you like or don't like about your luggage, please.

How much do you want to spend and how much will you use it?

We've had great success with traditional inexpensive two-wheeled semi-soft sided carry-on bags from Costco and Target.  We check them normally, but they do occasionally get carried-on. 

If your current bag still works, get a "fun" luggage strap for it and call it a day :)

55 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I actually do that on my rolling duffel I take on supported bike tours. I was looking for a regular duffel just before my first supported tour. Couldn’t find one so I bought the rolling duffel at stuff mart. There had to be 100 exactly like it on the tour. The next year I put long strands of police tape on it so I could find it among piles of duffels.

40 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

That is overweight sitting empty on the tarmac. Some bagge handler has a bad back looking at that

LOL, I'll purposely get a seat so I can watch out the window as the loader person throws the luggage onto the conveyor up into the plane. On a 737, one spot is usually directly in front of the engines. It seems the heavier it is, the worse the luggage gets treated, dragging it off the cart dropping it onto the wet pavement, etc. They also seem to load the fancy matching luggage sets haphazardly out of order so it gets mixed up and takes the passenger longer to gather it at their destination. <_<

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

I'm like the good shepherd and recommend Briggs and Riley. They are pricey but they are built to last and have a lifetime warranty. I used to travel a lot as an auditor and in the first five years went thru a lot of luggage. I bought a Briggs and Riley carry-on suitcase with two-wheels. I've had that bag for about 20 years, had the zipper replaced twice, gratis. I'm still using it on every trip.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

17 hours ago, Old#7 said:

I'm like the good shepherd and recommend Briggs and Riley. They are pricey but they are built to last and have a lifetime warranty. I used to travel a lot as an auditor and in the first five years went thru a lot of luggage. I bought a Briggs and Riley carry-on suitcase with two-wheels. I've had that bag for about 20 years, had the zipper replaced twice, gratis. I'm still using it on every trip.

Briggs and Riley makes excellent luggage.  I use their small backpack as a brief case and it stands up very well.  I have used other pieces over the years and found them to be excellent. 

My Travelpro is more than 20 years old and I recently had the wheels replaced.  The old ones still worked but had lost an inch in diameter to wear.  I see a lot of people with the newer series crew bags and they don't stand up at all.  

If you are using it to visit AWWC, his dandyness will only be happy if you show up with Globe Trotter luggage though.. You have been warned.

20_-Trolley-Case-Sienna_Navy_Red-RRP%C2%

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

I have a carry-on kakhi green Eagle Creek I use several times annually for past 15 yrs.  the wheels are probably abit worn...since it seems loud.  Yes, I like the pockets.  The case is soft-sided but hard and roll-away.  I can't carry duffle bags nor very heavy backpacks.....not good for a small person.  the latest models don't look as high quality as this older that I have.

The case itself can't be too heavy because I must be able to heft it overhead..

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

I do this for folks almost every time I ride in the back.  It is a good ice breaker with the ladies and expedites the loading.  IT is also a nice way to help the fellow travellers meet the cute chicks.

FIFY  Such a gentleman.

I think carry-ons are going away soon, they airlines seem to want to charge more for those than checked bags.  If that is the case, why not just bring more for less?

I have two big suitcases, both soft.  One from REI with may be a bit too much, and one from Eagle Creek.  One wheel on the Eagle Creek bag broke, now it isn't as much fun anymore.  I have an REI duffel kind of bag that can pass for carry on, it has no wheels but has backpackish straps for horking it around effectively.  It is ok.

I don't know what to recommend, except get brightly colored things if you check them in so you can spot them easily.  Also get hard shell things if you plan to hork around breakable items.

Some of the bags that people carry on are ridiculous. I felt obliged to help a lady put a huge bag in her overhead but I couldnt get the door to close. Having strained my back lifting it in, I figured I did my good deed and left it. The flight attendant walked by and tried to close it herself, then flashed everyone within view a dirty look.  It took her several tries but she slammed it closed. Probably pushed out the aluminum skin on the plane in the process though. :o

I don't know if they got it to open again. I made sure I got in line before her when we exited the plane. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, team scooter said:

Some of the bags that people carry on are ridiculous. I felt obliged to help a lady put a huge bag in her overhead but I couldnt get the door to close. Having strained my back lifting it in, I figured I did my good deed and left it. The flight attendant walked by and tried to close it herself, then flashed everyone

I like the preview version better. :D

• Heart 1