That Gillette ad is pretty dumb

Randomguy

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

What is fucked up is that men in a majority who think of women should be treated as objects and weaker men should be cast out or worse.  The ad identifies this and asks for changes.  Is that a bad thing? 

Women have only been able to vote for a few decades. Spanking was promoted in advertising just a few decades ago.  This stuff is still ingrained into our society. Things are changing and people are getting their feathers ruffled. You can even see it in this thread. 

Hetero men are wonderful. I love them.  Masculinity is beautiful.  It can be used in a bullying and threatening manner, inappropriately.  This is what the ad is identifying. This is what the me too movement is trying to say.  Stop threatening, bullying and intimidating us.   

+1

I also think that there is a bit of a knee jerk reaction going on here.  The folks bitching about the ad don't seem to have actually seen or listened to the ad.  If they have, and are still making a fuss about it insulting men, then maybe they are "un-virtue signaling" :D because it surely does not condemn, rebuke, attack, or insult "men" - just the douchebag men who do some ugly stuff.  Maybe folks see themselves in that light and feel attacked? Maybe folks would rather just arguing for arguing sake? Maybe they hear one thing but translate it to mean something else?  Regardless, the ad ruffles their feathers. :( 

• Heart 2

36 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

+1

I also think that there is a bit of a knee jerk reaction going on here.  The folks bitching about the ad don't seem to have actually seen or listened to the ad.  If they have, and are still making a fuss about it insulting men, then maybe they are "un-virtue signaling" :D because it surely does not condemn, rebuke, attack, or insult "men" - just the douchebag men who do some ugly stuff.  Maybe folks see themselves in that light and feel attacked? Maybe folks would rather just arguing for arguing sake? Maybe they hear one thing but translate it to mean something else?  Regardless, the ad ruffles their feathers. :( 

I haven't seen the add, assuming the add posted isn't it.   Honestly some of the comments ruffled my feathers as I consider myself pretty enlightened and don't like being lumped in with those who are not.  But I didn't post on the matter as I hadn't seen the video.

I grew up with 6 sisters and we had an old school dad who felt women's place was in the kitchen.  They rebelled against him and by default my brothers and I.  He was a sexist pig and so are you... (any wonder most of them have been married 3-4 times as their attitude towards men is bad).  

We had to deal with reversed sexism and got labeled a pig our whole life as backlash for our dad and it sucked.  I say this as I get the sentiment from some of the folks who spoke out about being lumped in with the sexist pigs. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

+1

Fukin project much?   

Of course, if Gillette wanted to really tackle the problem of Toxic Masculinity, they would have started with the real problem source, that ideology that enslaves child brides and women, encourages beating of women, honour killings, gang rapes and genital mutilation.  But let's give the obvious a pass.  Oh, I forgot, most of them don't shave. 

23 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Of course, if Gillette wanted to really tackle the problem of Toxic Masculinity, they would have started with the real problem source, that ideology that enslaves child brides and women, encourages beating of women, honour killings, gang rapes and genital mutilation.  But let's give the obvious a pass.  Oh, I forgot, most of them don't shave. 

Vikings? 

Couch 

It's the damn boot licking PC approach to the whole thing. Pointing fingers at a gender as a whole....jeez....just to sell their crappy product. As if they really care.

Unfortunantly, assholes will always be among us....no amount of finger pointing or tongue waving is going to stop the 10 per cent or better of the assholes out there. Throw in corporate proselytizing and it just makes a real issue second rate.

Anyway, Schick makes a better razor.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Pokey said:

It's the damn boot licking PC approach to the whole thing. Pointing fingers at a gender as a whole....jeez....just to sell their crappy product. As if they really care.

Unfortunantly, assholes will always be among us....no amount of finger pointing or tongue waving is going to stop the 10 per cent or better of the assholes out there. Throw in corporate proselytizing and it just makes a real issue second rate.

Anyway, Schick makes a better razor.

This is really it.  There are a certain percentage of jerks in the world.  Their actions leave a negative impact on those around them.

Like the Irish tourists some of us have been reading about.

Actually, the Gillette ad is very smart. Women are a large percentage of the population, and we are shaving much more of our body than men are.  We also do much of the shopping for the family, and will get the choice of which razor to buy.  It was brilliant for their marketing.  Even if some boys got their feelings hurt.

49 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

This is really it.  There are a certain percentage of jerks in the world.  Their actions leave a negative impact on those around them.

I interpret the ad as saying 1) don't be that jerk and 2) don't be the person who lets that jerk "get away with it".  Sort of like, I didn't & wouldn't say "grab em by the pussy", and that someone saying "grab em by the pussy" is a pretty simple litmus test for a person's character.

49 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

we are shaving much more of our body than men are. 

I buy the razors in my house (Gillettes at Costco), but my wife certainly uses far more of them than me.  I generally just use an electric trimmer. I'm more driven by price & quality than ads, but a bad ad or company will certainly affect my buying decision.