That Gillette ad is pretty dumb

Randomguy

Get woke, go broke! 

The commercial was great!   They even had an Armenian Genocide denier in the video too!  Man alive, this id really going to pump up the company's stock!  

With that said, I'm sure the people running the company took this type of reaction into consideration.   They won't go anywhere.  I doubt this will affect the buttom line. Nothing will happen. 

Couch 

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Is no one going to explain what the ad is about???? Or just that it is dumb?  How will the women here know what the ad is about without RG explaining it for them???

None of you will be able to Mansplain. This ad has convinced all of you to become women.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Toxic masculinity is a thing.

Sure, it is.  However, the commercial was still dumb and basically said all men are problems and propped up silliness in the ad, which is for chicks.  It is wrong in all kinds of preachy ways, and ignores all sort of underlying innateness of being that may be manly.  I am insulted by Gillette, and will manscape with other products which are cheaper. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Randomguy said:

Sure, it is.  However, the commercial was still dumb and basically said all men are problems and propped up silliness in the ad, which is for chicks.  It is wrong in all kinds of preachy ways, and ignores all sort of underlying innateness of being that may be manly.  I am insulted by Gillette, and will manscape with other products which are cheaper. 

Maybe you can post the ad? I don't think I recognize the one you are referencing.

gillettead-780x405.png

On January 13th, Gillette released an ad that tackled the very real problem of toxic masculinity. NPC Daily has interviewed hundreds of people who shared their solutions to such a detrimental affliction – many of which involving things from mandatory hormone treatment of young boys to mandatory gender transformation surgery and procedures.

Though these are all fantastic ideas, none of them have taken the reigns of the fight against toxic masculinity quite like Gillette did two days ago. With their “We Believe: The Best Men Can Be | Gillette (Short Film)” release, Gillette urged men to look out for signs of toxic masculinity in ways that have put a complete halt on the epidemic.

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:
gillettead-780x405.png

On January 13th, Gillette released an ad that tackled the very real problem of toxic masculinity. NPC Daily has interviewed hundreds of people who shared their solutions to such a detrimental affliction – many of which involving things from mandatory hormone treatment of young boys to mandatory gender transformation surgery and procedures.

Though these are all fantastic ideas, none of them have taken the reigns of the fight against toxic masculinity quite like Gillette did two days ago. With their “We Believe: The Best Men Can Be | Gillette (Short Film)” release, Gillette urged men to look out for signs of toxic masculinity in ways that have put a complete halt on the epidemic.

So, wait! We should encourage bullying? Or sexism? Or, MANSPLAINING?

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Yeah, that is the crap ad that says we should be wimpy beings that small children knock over with dirty looks.  Geez.

At the end of the day, does this sell razors?  I feel that they might have spent their money in a much more useful way that didn't alienate the people that buy their stuff.

• Awesome 1

I think they achieved what the set out to do. It got people talking. And people are talking about it ''a lot''.

Myself I use the cheap bag-o disposable razors. When I think of Gillette, I think of my father using them when I was young. When I see a Gillette commercial today, I'm often surprised when reminded that they're still around. Lately I've been reminded about it ''a lot''. I might even check them out the next time I'm in the drugstore.

1 minute ago, team scooter said:

When I think of Gillette, I think of my father using them when I was young. When I see a Gillette commercial today, I'm often surprised when reminded that they're still around.

I think they own about half the market.  The Fusion stuff is really good, but really expensive.  Stupidly expensive, actually.  Replacement blades are about $40 at Costco for 12 of them, or thereabouts.  It is a lot, but like I said, good stuff.

I tried the dollar shave club, but their stuff wasn't as good.  The customer service there is great, though, and the price is good.  I just wish I liked their blades better.  The Bics are a bit rough, but the price was right.

• Heart 1

F This.. I'm a manly man.. I don't use razors.. I shave my head with a finally shapened K-Bar knife I so did on a grinding stone. When I am done I use it for killing my dinner by hand after pouncing on it from a tree I climbed. This was all done in the during the wee hours of the morning as all the nancy boys were all tucked into their PJ dreaming of thier first morning coffee.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1
  • Envious 1

4 hours ago, Randomguy said:

How much will it affect them?

I hope they're still in business in the mid-2020's - that's when I should need them next.

A couple years ago, I bought a twelve-pack of Gillette Triple Track razors with two bonus razors at Costco.  As I'm lazy about shaving they lasted a couple years.

I was down to the last two and recently looked in Costco for more.  They had, for $20-something, a 36 pack of "Gillette Custom Plus 3" razors which the box says has: triple blades, pivoting heads, self-adjusting spring mounted blades, easy-rinse open blades, soft microfins, and ergonomic non-slip handles.  I didn't know what microfins are, but Gillette says "microfins are soft, flexible, horizontal fins that gently stretch loose, gel-like facial skin, smoothing its surface and helping prevent razor burn."

I don't know how much "loose, gel-like facial skin" I have, but with all that b.s. for less than a buck apiece, I bought them and can't wait to start using them!

I guess I'm good until the mid-2020's!  By then they should have a phone app - like the one for my Oral B Genius electric toothbrush which comes with a bathroom mirror suction-cup holder for your cell phone that monitors your toothbrushes motor settings and watches how much you brush on each of the lower three thirds of teeth and upper three thirds of teeth and shows you in real time where you didn't do enough brushing. Like Sheldon said on The Big Bang Theory, "Everything's better with Bluetooth." I'm sure the Gillette app will tell you what you missed or if your mustache is crooked or sideburns uneven!

1498932332_GilletteCustomPlus3razors-29for36atCostcoin2018-2.jpg.1a2a5128d5de0ad8b96a4328091f8c36.jpg125504415_GilletteCustomPlus3razors-29for36atCostcoin2018.thumb.jpg.40b3b62e583100971de2e88d7651dcb5.jpg

A different razor, but an explanation of the microfins:

2110065225_GilletteCustomPlus3microfins.jpg.d9032199f9eed3a72c57d9db36a59ce6.jpg

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Toxic masculinity is a thing.  The ad was thoughtful and excellent.  Bullying, mansplaining and toxic masculinity is a trend that needs to stop. 

?

This. Like the Kaperneck ad, it was well done. 

3 hours ago, smudge said:

None of you will be able to Mansplain. This ad has convinced all of you to become women.

Sorry, this is just not true.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Some of us have stopped apologizing for being heterosexual white males.  You should give it a try.  

What a crummy thing to say. Seriously. Expecting respectable behavior out of men is not a bad thing. Bullying and sexual harassment need to end. That is not apologizing for who I am. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

7 minutes ago, dennis said:

What a crummy thing to say. Seriously. Expecting respectable behavior out of men is not a bad thing. Bullying and sexual harassment need to end. That is not apologizing for who I am. 

I am not a fan of the feminist movement in its current iteration.  I am less a fan of the current male feminists that support it.  If the ad in question was directed at the bully's and harassers, I would have no problem with it.  It isn't.  It is directed at all men and that is a very nasty little bit of identity politics.  "All" men aren't the problem, the problem men are.  Proctor and Gamble are using the current feminist ideology to sell a product and are painting all men with the same "me too" brush.  That is disgraceful in my books.  

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I am not a fan of the feminist movement in its current iteration.  I am less a fan of the current male feminists that support it.  If the ad in question was directed at the bully's and harassers, I would have no problem with it.  It isn't.  It is directed at all men and that is a very nasty little bit of identity politics.  "All" men aren't the problem, the problem men are.  Proctor and Gamble are using the current feminist ideology to sell a product and are painting all men with the same "me too" brush.  That is disgraceful in my books.  

I don't care what you like or don't like. You can have your own beliefs. Insulting me for mine is uncool.

6 hours ago, Wilbur said:

A thousand likes is not enough!

Substitute any minority identifier for the word 'men' in that ad and you would have the SJW (the other term Couch taught me) wolves at the door decrying the complete and utter insensitivity of the cretins proffering it, but it is A-ok to paint all men with the broadest of strokes instead ("Yeah, men are the problem, the TOXIC problem").   You chicks should know better.   I am also tired of this kind of treatment from fruitcakey revisionist hippie male feminist wannabe Stockholm syndrome sufferers who can't see how fucked up that is.  

Yes, blame all for some, how everyone else hates that when their group is painted that way, but men are just supposed to take it.  You know what?  Pull your collective heads out of your asses.  Don't apologize for being a male who isn't some total namby-pamby nancy-boy flag waver, and don't expect others to, either, just to fit a narrative that is fucked up from the beginning.

• Heart 3

What is fucked up is that men in a majority who think of women should be treated as objects and weaker men should be cast out or worse.  The ad identifies this and asks for changes.  Is that a bad thing? 

Women have only been able to vote for a few decades. Spanking was promoted in advertising just a few decades ago.  This stuff is still ingrained into our society. Things are changing and people are getting their feathers ruffled. You can even see it in this thread. 

Hetero men are wonderful. I love them.  Masculinity is beautiful.  It can be used in a bullying and threatening manner, inappropriately.  This is what the ad is identifying. This is what the me too movement is trying to say.  Stop threatening, bullying and intimidating us.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

12 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

What is fucked up is that men in a majority who think of women should be treated as objects and weaker men should be cast out or worse.  The ad identifies this and asks for changes.  Is that a bad thing? 

Women have only been able to vote for a few decades. Spanking was promoted in advertising just a few decades ago.  This stuff is still ingrained into our society. Things are changing and people are getting their feathers ruffled. You can even see it in this thread. 

Hetero men are wonderful. I love them.  Masculinity is beautiful.  It can be used in a bullying and threatening manner, inappropriately.  This is what the ad is identifying. This is what the me too movement is trying to say.  Stop threatening, bullying and intimidating us.  

I am a lot more sceptical when it comes to corporate virtue signalling.  If P&G was really after a cultural change in this regard, they sure wouldn't allow promotions like the photo Chris supplied.  That is pure sexism and it counters the ad in the op.  It is all about appealing to current culture and movements like Me Too. 

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I am a lot more sceptical when it comes to corporate virtue signalling.  If P&G was really after a cultural change in this regard, they sure wouldn't allow promotions like the photo Chris supplied.  That is pure sexism and it counters the ad in the op.  It is all about appealing to current culture and movements like Me Too. 

Reverse sexism to make a point, I guess.  I agree with the point that companies just want you to buy their stuff.  They don't really care about the movement.  It's politics.

21 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

WRONG!  Geez...

I don't think feathers are really ruffled, and what you are seeing in this thread is people perceiving things from their own angles.  What is clear is that the ad AND some here seem to want to paint all men as perpetrators and think blaming and shaming for the actions of a few is peachy behavior, that preachiness and talking down is all cool and men should just cowtow to whoever and not stand up for themselves when others are flinging feces on everything.

You chicks have been voting in the USandA since 1920, federally, and in some states well before that.  That is old stuff and not relevant at this point.  I don't get the spanking thing, but some chicks still ask for it by name.  Anyway, advertisers don't do that anymore, but advertisers are whores and will do what gets eyeballs (like Gillette has done).

Seriously what if the ad highlighted women telling other women not to cry at work, or showing women shaming others for being catty, bitchy, and cruel to each other, or asking other women to not be so damn moody when Aunt Flo is around, and doing this by implying that it is ALL women doing the bad behaviors except for the sainted and knowledgeable few who can now stoop to your level and show you how it is done?  Or black people taking others aside and shaming them into not killing other black people, what brave commentary!

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

WRONG!  Geez...

I don't think feathers are really ruffled, and what you are seeing in this thread is people perceiving things from their own angles.  What is clear is that the ad AND some here seem to want to paint all men as perpetrators and think blaming and shaming for the actions of a few is peachy behavior, that preachiness and talking down is all cool and men should just cowtow to whoever and not stand up for themselves when others are flinging feces on everything.

You chicks have been voting in the USandA since 1920, federally, and in some states well before that.  That is old stuff and not relevant at this point.  I don't get the spanking thing, but some chicks still ask for it by name.  Anyway, advertisers don't do that anymore, but advertisers are whores and will do what gets eyeballs (like Gillette has done).

Seriously what if the ad highlighted women telling other women not to cry at work, or showing women shaming others for being catty, bitchy, and cruel to each other, or asking other women to not be so damn moody when Aunt Flo is around, and doing this by implying that it is ALL women doing the bad behaviors except for the sainted and knowledgeable few who can now stoop to your level and show you how it is done?  Or black people taking others aside and shaming them into not killing other black people, what brave commentary!

I forgot.  Only supreme court justices are allowed to cry at work. 

• Heart 1