Do men take a vacation day from work to clean house/garage?

shootingstar

Over the years, I heard some women in the workplace will explicitly take a day off to clean part/all of their house.  And no, it wasn't a special house event/major visit from someone.

I'm certain some men also use a vacation day to do a major cleaning....of house, garage, car(s)?

I mean taking up a valuable vacation day ...to clean.

I'm not like that. I haven't worked for decades for 1 employer where I've stacked up a pile of vacation days.  I value each single vacation day and do take a vacation day to enjoy time that's not housework related..even if it's local.  But hey, I know for some people, cleaning and having a clean home is a form of enjoyment. 

You'll find me on the bike or cafe as a chunk of enjoyable time during my vacation day.  (And I'm not talking about a legal holiday day like Christmas Day where many people get it off anyway.)  The practical thing I sometimes do on a vacation day ..if forced..is a certain medical appointment I couldn't reschedule no other convenient time.

I am off tomorrow for a doctor's appointment.  I have a boatload of vacation to use, so I do this often, and also because most of my doctors, dentist, eye doctor etc. are 100 miles away from work, so there is no quick dashing oot to appointments like when I worked locally.  I usually also try to get in bike rides, dog walks, and maybe a chore here or there. 

I enjoy "light" puttering;. :D

16 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I am off tomorrow for a doctor's appointment.  I have a boatload of vacation to use, so I do this often, and also because most of my doctors, dentist, eye doctor etc. are 100 miles away from work, so there is no quick dashing oot to appointments like when I worked locally.  I usually also try to get in bike rides, dog walks, and maybe a chore here or there. 

Yea, chores for me, would be ones that are part of daily living on a vacation day. But for sure, I would not/never have devoted half a day to cleaning home.  To me, it's not enjoyable use of vacation as a commodity...as a day of "rest"/"enjoyment".  After all, I earned that vacation....from working on the job.

But then again, I don't have children.  However I have heard of child-free woman, taking off a vacation day to spend hrs. cleaning xxxx.  Maybe I'm just negligent about certain things. :loveshower:

13 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Sick days and vacation days are the same thing for me.

I have used vacation days to do lawn and garden projects, like mulching.

Same here 

No sick days where I work in fact we have the points system. You miss a day of work you get a point. 8 points you're fired. 

We do have 2 personal days that we can use as sick days. 

56 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Over the years, I heard some women in the workplace will explicitly take a day off to clean part/all of their house.  And no, it wasn't a special house event/major visit from someone.

I'm certain some men also use a vacation day to do a major cleaning....of house, garage, car(s)?

I mean taking up a valuable vacation day ...to clean.

I'm not like that. I haven't worked for decades for 1 employer where I've stacked up a pile of vacation days.  I value each single vacation day and do take a vacation day to enjoy time that's not housework related..even if it's local.  But hey, I know for some people, cleaning and having a clean home is a form of enjoyment. 

You'll find me on the bike or cafe as a chunk of enjoyable time during my vacation day.  (And I'm not talking about a legal holiday day like Christmas Day where many people get it off anyway.)  The practical thing I sometimes do on a vacation day ..if forced..is a certain medical appointment I couldn't reschedule no other convenient time.

I'm betting you work with a person I would define as a "martyr".  Or, they have one of those neuroses that needs some treatment. Or both? 

Seriously, if a person is taking a day off to do a major cleaning, just to do a major cleaning, then they must not do much "minor" cleaning and thus set themselves up for needing to take a vacation/sick day INSTEAD of a weekend (there are 104 weekends in a year!!!! That is getting close to 1/3 of the year to do cleaning when you add in holidays!) 

Anyway, I would definitely not phrase your original topic as a man/woman difference as much as a "WTF do some people not have their shit together enough to take care of cleaning on weekends like normal people?"

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm betting you work with a person I would define as a "martyr".  Or, they have one of those neuroses that needs some treatment. Or both? 

Seriously, if a person is taking a day off to do a major cleaning, just to do a major cleaning, then they must not do much "minor" cleaning and thus set themselves up for needing to take a vacation/sick day INSTEAD of a weekend (there are 104 weekends in a year!!!! That is getting close to 1/3 of the year to do cleaning when you add in holidays!) 

Anyway, I would definitely not phrase your original topic as a man/woman difference as much as a "WTF do some people not have their shit together enough to take care of cleaning on weekends like normal people?"

This reeks of buggie10, a classic from the Love Forum days,  She hated to take days off because all there was to do was clean. :wacko::(

She hated riding because she lived in SW country where the roads are a hazard and she might get a flat.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

Yeah I've taken days off to do house work. Usually prior to my in laws visits.  

Maybe just take the gender off the question as it appears sexist to me.  Is it odd?  Maybe but does it really matter to anyone other than the person using their time off for whatever reason they choose?

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah I've taken days off to do house work. Usually prior to my in laws visits.  

Maybe just take the gender off the question as it appears sexist to me.  Is it odd?  Maybe but does it really matter to anyone other than the person using their time off for whatever reason they choose?

She did write: " And no, it wasn't a special house event/major visit from someone ." Sure, if some big event is coming up, it should be all hands on deck. Usually that can be accomplished on a weekend or evening, but SS seemed to be implying "no real reason other than a major cleaning was deemed necessary".  

So, yeah, I am sticking by my "that person is a martyr, a little off, and/or a procrastinator/slob".

31 minutes ago, BR46 said:

Same here 

No sick days where I work in fact we have the points system. You miss a day of work you get a point. 8 points you're fired. 

We do have 2 personal days that we can use as sick days. 

That sounds more punitive than mine. We just get a certain amount of paid time off, “PTO”. You can use it however you like. I guess if you needed more time it would then be unpaid leave or disability. I usually carry a few days over into the next year.

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

She did write: " And no, it wasn't a special house event/major visit from someone ." Sure, if some big event is coming up, it should be all hands on deck. Usually that can be accomplished on a weekend or evening, but SS seemed to be implying "no real reason other than a major cleaning was deemed necessary".  

So, yeah, I am sticking by my "that person is a martyr, a little off, and/or a procrastinator/slob".

Yeah I guess.  I get hung up on why question if a man would take time off.  Why, only a woman would do this?

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Canadiens apologize to themselves if they bump into something, Shirley they would apologize for pot stirring, even if the stew were burning.

I think it is marvelous that by far the nicest guy at my workplace is Kanadian. North Jersey, so not even close. :D  I might be second, from South Jersey by way of western PA. :D

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

We're not really allowed to take sick days unless we are near death.

Wow, reading all this and some of you work in private sector.  And public accuses public servants of gaming the system by using up their quota of sick days before calendar end.

Actually for many employees in my organization (am in govn't), we get 5% pay less per sick day.  Or something like that.  So yea, people in my organization, do work when they have a semi-bad cold.

19 minutes ago, groupw said:

My garage needs a major clearing out! I have a project car I now acknowledge I will never be able to finish. If I can get it done without a vacation day, I will. But it’s something I need to do even if a vacation day is required. 

Maybe the strongest motivator, would be if you ever had to sell your house.  ?

59 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

:)  I will concede that some people with several young children and who are parents with each full-time jobs, may find a serious challenge to do a major clean-up over several weekends.  

One woman who has no children like me and is single, actually said:  "Who wants to spend hours bike riding?  Why do some people spend hrs. riding all over the place? I have a house to clean."  I found it rather interesting what was more important to her for quality life.  Differing values.

• Heart 2

45 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Canadiens apologize to themselves if they bump into something, Shirley they would apologize for pot stirring, even if the stew were burning.

??  I live in the prairies here, it's more boring, especially in the middle of winter. One can't always spend money going out to the mountains...so it's aiming for free/low cost fun activities locally. 

9 hours ago, groupw said:

My garage needs a major clearing out! I have a project car I now acknowledge I will never be able to finish. If I can get it done without a vacation day, I will. But it’s something I need to do even if a vacation day is required. 

Ooooh!  Oooooh!  What is it?  An old Miata?

1 hour ago, petitepedal said:

In all my years of working with seniors...I have NEVER heard someone say..."I wish I spent more time cleaning".... My house is comfortable...with an occasional deep clean...but more often a dust bunny...I like bunnies...:dontknow:

Thank goodness my wife has loosened up a little! I spose my daughters and I have worn her down!  Her mother is still a clean freak but I think my wife has beaten it. :D  We slobbovians are happy people, although I will admit order is nice when restored. Wanda Sykes has an absolutely killer stand up routine about this. I will try to find it later on u-tube! It is worth sharing. :)

• Heart 2

55 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Ooooh!  Oooooh!  What is it?  An old Miata?

1973 Ford Capri. The German ones. I've had it since high school. Dated WoW in it. Brought home our first child in it. Fun car. Lots of memories. I was going to do a full restomod on it, but when I had my career change 15 years ago, it got put on the back burner. Between cycling and other lifestyle changes over the years since, I just don't have the physical desire to do everything needed even if the money was readily available. 

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

My husband has never done that.  I have.  My vacation days are many. Yay, me. ?

Having a clean house can be wonderful.  It's like catching up. Our work day is so busy with working, working out, and daily chores. Weekends are full of fun.  You get to the point where you can't deal with the mess anymore, or you have an event happening at the home, etc.  

Meh