Today's veggie run!

Ralphie

Should be aboot a 3-4 week supply. Could have been worse because I stifled myself from buying lemon grass. I realized I probably wouldn't have managed to cook with it. 

One disappointment so far - the poblanos have no heat atoll!  They taste like *(&*(&%$ green bell peppers!  So it is snot just jalapenos that are highly variable.  The poblanos I got at the nearby farmstand this summer were poifect - nice and hot!

Blackberrries are $1.25 and raspberries are $3 for the same small container!  No contest!

Have I mentioned I loved the cheap produce place?  It hurt me to pass up the 2 for $2 romaine though - too risky.  We'll get that at the grocery store where they have the sticker of origin on it.  I bought iceberg for its crunchiness for the first time in ages.  BTW, these peoces are per package, usually 1,2 or 3 pounds - the apples are 3 pounds, the carrots 5.

IMG_1109.JPG

• Confused 1

Just now, jsharr said:

What kind of bush does the Italian Hoagie grown on?  

That and the chips were to appease the Mrs,. for me filing the fridge with froot and veggies, although I gotta admit I enjoyed them also. :)  Also, it didn;t work. :D:(Plus, it is low cal because I had some mini carrots and peppers and a small apple with it. :DI can go apeshit like this in the late fall, winter, and early spring because I hang the excess stock right out side the door to the garage for cold storage and easy access.  The trick?  Don't fuggedaboutit!

I guess I shoulda coulda woulda cut off the pic before the chips and hoagie.  Live and learn!  :D

Just now, Razors Edge said:

How do you keep that stuff fresh for 3-4 weeks?

It is a little surprising.  But what I meant was some things will last that long, and the ones that won't will be eaten within a couple of weeks.  The broccoli raab and the green beans won't last that long, but the peppers and onions will, the potatoes more like 3 weeks max, and the carrots and celery will be eaten in more like two weeks.  The apples will keep, but barely - might start getting soft toward the end.  Oranges are probably 3 weeks max.  The Italian hoagie a couple days, and the chips won't make it. :D  The blackberries are only good for a week max - I will go heavy on them in the morning serial.  Green peppers keep much mo better than colored ones, but this batch of poblanos aren't of as high a quality and freshness so I'll hit them a little harder.  I am just in the middle of a batch of jalapenos I bought quite a while ago and that batch was a pretty good keeper.  Of course at a place like this the quality varies from day to day, I guess it depends on where you come in on the truckload, but my experience has been mostly positive for sure.  Very little spoilage in a normal time frame.

This is why I love peppers and apples and onions and potatoes.

6 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

It is a little surprising.  But what I meant was some things will last that long, and the ones that won't will be eaten within a couple of weeks.  The broccoli raab and the green beans won't last that long, but the peppers and onions will, the potatoes more like 3 weeks max, and the carrots and celery will be eaten in more like two weeks.  The apples will keep, but barely - might start getting soft toward the end.  Oranges are probably 3 weeks max.  The Italian hoagie a couple days, and the chips won't make it. :D  The blackberries are only good for a week max - I will go heavy on them in the morning serial.  Green peppers keep much mo better than colored ones, but this batch of poblanos aren't of as high a quality and freshness so I'll hit them a little harder.  I am just in the middle of a batch of jalapenos I bought quite a while ago and that batch was a pretty good kepper.  Of course at a place like this the quality varies from day to day, I guess it depends on where you come in on the truckload, but mey experience has been mostly positive for sure.  Very little spoilage in a normal time frame.

Sweet JEEBUS!  That was a nice long response!

• Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

It is a little surprising.  But what I meant was some things will last that long, and the ones that won't will be eaten within a couple of weeks.  The broccoli raab and the green beans won't last that long, but the peppers and onions will, the potatoes more like 3 weeks max, and the carrots and celery will be eaten in more like two weeks.  The apples will keep, but barely - might start getting soft toward the end.  Oranges are probably 3 weeks max.  The Italian hoagie a couple days, and the chips won't make it. :D  The blackberries are only good for a week max - I will go heavy on them in the morning serial.

I have to eat fresh stuff within a week or it goes bad.