Brits DESTROY the English Language

Razors Edge

We've been watching the Great British Baking Show, and I realized those folks have no idea how to pronounce the most simple words.  For example, "cayenne" and "chipotle" are absolutely destroyed. When they rattle off the list of ingredients - while also displaying a graphic with some of those ingredients spelled out - I can only laugh as my mind connects what they say versus what is written.  Amazing.

54 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

We've been watching the Great British Baking Show, and I realized those folks have no idea how to pronounce the most simple words.  For example, "cayenne" and "chipotle" are absolutely destroyed. When they rattle off the list of ingredients - while also displaying a graphic with some of those ingredients spelled out - I can only laugh as my mind connects what they say versus what is written.  Amazing.

The English, are a lot better at English, than we are.

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Written or spoken?

Both.

If you google british eloquence and scroll down to an article by the Financial Times, that will explain. The website wouldn't let me cut and paste, or even link to the page, sorry.

9 minutes ago, late said:

Both.

If you google british eloquence and scroll down to an article by the Financial Times, that will explain. The website wouldn't let me cut and paste, or even link to the page, sorry. 

Do you ever actually listen to Brits speak?

14 minutes ago, late said:

Of course.

Did you read the FT article?

I still am too shocked to believe that 1) you have indeed heard Brits speak English, and 2) think that is a better way to speak it than the American way.

Once the shock subsides, I may try to track down your article for you ?

Just now, Razors Edge said:

I still am too shocked to believe that 1) you have indeed heard Brits speak English, and 2) think that is a better way to speak it than the American way.

Once the shock subsides, I may try to track down your article for you ?

I've been an Anglophile since the 70s.

But it doesn't have to be just the classy stuff. I loved the original Top Gear.

4 minutes ago, late said:

I've been an Anglophile since the 70s.

But it doesn't have to be just the classy stuff. I loved the original Top Gear. 

I like British TV, music, movies, whatnot, but I still can't pretend they aren't speaking an odd version of English.

55 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I like British TV, music, movies, whatnot, but I still can't pretend they aren't speaking an odd version of English.

They feel the same, of course, but being English they feel somewhat proprietary about English..

The truth is, no one owns a language. It changes constantly, and varies from place to place and time to time.

One of things I like about how they do it is the way they see language as a playground.

18 minutes ago, late said:

They feel the same, of course, but being English they feel somewhat proprietary about English..

The truth is, no one owns a language. It changes constantly, and varies from place to place and time to time.

One of things I like about how they do it is the way they see language as a playground.

Have you ever visited the UK?

If so, ask yourself if you were ever not understood.  Then ask yourself if you ever couldn't understand what they were saying.  Compare that to when you go to other English speaking countries.  In CAnada, there should be very little misunderstanding - in either direction.  In Australia or New Zealand? Some chance for a misunderstanding of what they are saying, but unlikely that they misunderstand you, and, like the US, more so the more rural you go. 

I think that standard American is now the universal English language - especially when spoken. Spelling and definitions may trail that reality, but they will eventually catch up.

19 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

If so, ask yourself if you were ever not understood.  Then ask yourself if you ever couldn't understand what they were saying.  Compare that to when you go to other English speaking countries.  In CAnada, there should be very little misunderstanding - in either direction.  In Australia or New Zealand? Some chance for a misunderstanding of what they are saying, but unlikely that they misunderstand you, and, like the US, more so the more rural you go. 

I think that standard American is now the universal English language - especially when spoken. Spelling and definitions may trail that reality, but they will eventually catch up.

US broadcasters still use Canadians because they are perceived as having neutral accents.  I have never had trouble understanding English anywhere but small towns in the deep southern US.  Everywhere else is easy.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

US broadcasters still use Canadians because they are perceived as having neutral accents.  I have never had trouble understanding English anywhere but small towns in the deep southern US.  Everywhere else is easy.

I used to think this until I went to the Isle of Skye. A guy told me 3 times a joke and to this day I have no idea what he said.

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

They do have a lot of dialects, don't they.

We're talking past each other, which is fine.

" Humour is the cornerstone of the British society. It is used in numerous ways: to establish a positive atmosphere, to create a sense of togetherness, to bridge differences, to introduce risky ideas, to criticise, to show appreciation or contempt of a person. British people joke about everything including the queen, politicians, religion, themselves and you! You'd better get used to that. Humour is often combined with understatement. Depending on the tone "Not bad" can actually mean "very good" and "not bad at all" might be the highest praise you ever get from a Brit...

In contrast to for instance Americans, Germans and Dutch, British people have a quite indirect communication style... . Like the Japanese and the Chinese culture, the British culture is a high context culture. Words are not enough, you have to know the background and context to understand the message and interpret tone, expression and non-verbal behaviour."

https://harzing.com/resources/living-and-working-abroad/british-culture

There is a danger in speaking of a "British accent" in that there is no such thing. Accents here vary according to location and may be wildly diverse. It has been said that the American spelling and usage of words are more similar to the original that was in use at the time of the first settlers.

I just want you to know that over here in Scotland I actively campaign for American tourists to be treated more gently by the locals.......much in the fashion of those unfortunate people with learning difficulties.........

• Haha 1