Duck fat

Parsnip Totin Jack

I'm getting all uppity gourmet and ordered a jar of duck fat through the interwebs. It's Canadian. I don't know if that means it's made in Canada or the ducks are Canadian.  Don't care. I made popcorn with the duck fat last night. Wife said she couldn't tell a difference, I thought it had a better taste. I plan on roasting potatoes, and other veggies in the stuff.  My idea for Brussel sprouts is to roast them in duck fat, add toasted pecans and coat with a brown sugar-bourbon glaze. I also found a recipe for salted caramel made with duck fat. I will probably try that.

• Heart 2

24 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

jar of duck fat

How does the price compare to butter or veggie oil?  Some recipes certainly can call for duck fat, but with the popcorn, that might be a waste if you either can't tell the difference or it is only marginally better. Folks like duck fat fries, but, again, who doesn't like fries in almost any format?

22 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

How does the price compare to butter or veggie oil?  Some recipes certainly can call for duck fat, but with the popcorn, that might be a waste if you either can't tell the difference or it is only marginally better. Folks like duck fat fries, but, again, who doesn't like fries in almost any format?

More expensive than butter, much more than veggie oil. $11 for a 16oz jar. It's not a waste if I can tell the difference; my wife doesn't count because she once told me that pasta I made from scratch tasted just like boxed pasta.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Old#7 said:

I'm getting all uppity gourmet and ordered a jar of duck fat through the interwebs. It's Canadian. I don't know if that means it's made in Canada or the ducks are Canadian.  Don't care. I made popcorn with the duck fat last night. Wife said she couldn't tell a difference, I thought it had a better taste. I plan on roasting potatoes, and other veggies in the stuff.  My idea for Brussel sprouts is to roast them in duck fat, add toasted pecans and coat with a brown sugar-bourbon glaze. I also found a recipe for salted caramel made with duck fat. I will probably try that.

Hey @Wilbur HURRY, SOMEONE ELSE IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET!

• Heart 1