'Blockbuster' storm heads east, could drop 40 inches of snow. Arctic blast will freeze 200 million.

Page Turner

Yup, we're in line to get hammered with 3 inches of snow out of this.  That would be the biggest storm of the year.  Seems like this year all the snow has stayed just to the south of the Mich/Indiana line.  No complaints from me.  We are supposed to be a bit cold -1 Sunday night.

It's difficult to know what the truth is when the weather guessers speak on TV about the end of the world.  I used to get really great weather back a couple of decades ago when my local radio station contracted with the company that did weather forecasting for all those transatlantic and round the world balloon flights.  They were professionals and had a voice person who could tell you what was likely to happen and then explain why.  I happen to live in an area that tends to be right on a line between goodness and disaster and it sometimes varies with a storm course change of as little as 25 miles.  For me this might be a warmer rainy Sunday if the storm goes 50 miles north or it could indeed be the many inches if it goes 50 miles south.  Either way I think northern New England is going to get a bunch of snew.  But then snew and skiing is what they do more power to them.

It appears from the current predictions that I am squarely in the middle of the "ice" belt portion of this storm.  They are unable to determine at this time if I will see less than or more than 1/2" of ice on Sunday.  The 1/2" mark is the over under on massive vs limited power outages.  With a predicted temperature of 1 deg F on Monday morning that difference can be a lot.  No power = no heat.  In years past we have not had the sorts of power outages that have happened more recently.  CT has had some prolonged power outages in the last couple of years.  It may be time to finally invest in a generator........but it's too late for this winter.

43 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

It appears from the current predictions that I am squarely in the middle of the "ice" belt portion of this storm.  They are unable to determine at this time if I will see less than or more than 1/2" of ice on Sunday.  The 1/2" mark is the over under on massive vs limited power outages.  With a predicted temperature of 1 deg F on Monday morning that difference can be a lot.  No power = no heat.  In years past we have not had the sorts of power outages that have happened more recently.  CT has had some prolonged power outages in the last couple of years.  It may be time to finally invest in a generator........but it's too late for this winter.

...when you're on a well, losing electricity for any long period of time blows. :angry: