The greatest movie ever made?

Road Runner

What say you?

I lean toward "The Wizard of Oz."

A great film in so many ways.  Music, comedy, action, drama, witches, wizards, flying monkeys...  Seriously, a great story with lots of life lessons, symbolism and metaphorical crap constantly going on.  A fantastic cast.  All in all, the best movie ever made, IMO.  

12 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

What say you?

A great film in so many ways.  Music, comedy, action, drama, witches, wizards, flying monkeys...  Seriously, a great story with lots of life lessons, symbolism and metaphorical crap constantly going on.  A fantastic cast.  All in all, the best movie ever made, IMO.  

It is hard to pick a favorite, although I do love that movie!  I don't think I ever really paid attention to it, but then saw it with some young kids when I was 18 or so, and realized how good it is.  I am sure I have seen it at least 20 times since, and is one of the movies I downloaded to watch with RO for viewing this weekend.

• Heart 1

Best movie for whom??

What's best for a 5 year old may not be best for you.

I don't have a single best. But there are a ton of really good movies. A lot of them are overlooked classics from downers like the Seventh Seal to comedies like Inspector General. Lion in Winter.

One of my faves that doesn't get wide acclaim is Contact.

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I don't think it is my favorite movie by any stretch, but I think John Carpenters's "The Thing"  is greatly underappreciated.  I have been thinking about science fiction a bit, you see.  I rate that as one of the best sci-fi movies, certainly.

When I watched it for the first time I thought it was very scary.

16 hours ago, Road Runner said:

What say you?

I remember my mom telling me she saw that movie as a young child in the movie theater. She would have been 9 YO when it was released.  She said that was the first color movie she ever saw and the transition from B&W to color was just an amazement to her. 

This is a point many of us miss in that in 1939 many folks had never seen a color movie prior to this.  That transition from B&W to color was a marvel to them.

I love Science Fiction movies.  And it's really hard for me to pick just one.

Is between Alien and Predator. 

Aliens was also great.  I have watched it so many times, probably more than Alien. Back in the 90s, I watched it once while stoned on Pot and some opiates (I can't remember which pill).  It got deep on an animalistic level and activated a fear and dread deep in my brain.  It was very intense and I remember the experience vividly today. 

So, I guess my favorite movie is Aliens. 

Couch 

50 minutes ago, Couch_Incident said:

Is between Alien and Predator.

Aliens and Predator are almost in a separate category for me because they are so good, but I don't look at them as being pure sci-fi so much as creature/sci-fi hybrids.  Intense action movies are better with creatures usually.  Predator was the best movie Arnie was involved in.

I will teach RO Bishop's knife trick this weekend.

...I think probably the movie with which I am most enamored is "Black Orpheus." I have probably seen that move 40 or fifty times on the big screen at the Circle Theater in D.C.  But the movie I've modeled my life after is Disney's "Pinocchio."

Both these movies made a big impression on my senses at that time.

I give a nod to @Goat Geddah for dodgeball. Great movie. 

Another nod to @RalphWaldoMooseworth Because of Airplane. 

My final nod goes to @Square Wheels for finding Nemo. 

All of these are great and should certainly be in the conversation for best film ever. 

Let me add add one more to consider....  Roadhouse. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1