I'm An Asshole & Almost Got My Ass Kicked!

ChrisL

1 minute ago, petitepedal said:

:whistle: I haul 2 or 3 different sets of weights across the gym to workout with...and if someone asks..yeah we can work it out between sets no biggie..but just grab the weight that I hauled across the gym...I'm gonna say "hey...I'm using that"..even if it comes in the next set :whistle:

So I should have left the machine open so the girl 30' away can use it when she's done doing squats?

• Heart 1

No...even when I worked out at the body builder gym..we would alternate sets (if necessary)..drives me crazy when someone does a set and then sits on the damn machine for 5 minutes "resting" before the next set...they could easily rest while I do my little set...and I can even be considerate and set it back to the weight you were using...

I would have done the same.....  The girl might have wanted to kick my azz...but I think the guy would only glare at me

• Heart 2

Good for you on not getting your ass kicked.

Question:  Should you have stood there when punched was feigned?  Seems to me that a feigned punch is as good as assault, might you have been better off counter attacking at that point rather than taking a chance on getting a beating whilst just standing there trying to look unphased?

Also, is it the kind of gym were you could get these asswipes banned outright?  Seems like that would be a lot of fun if you were ready for another parking lot encounter.  Are there right answers, or only shades of wrong answers here?

Most of all, good for standing ground on the machine usage, nobody gets to reserve equipment. 

• Heart 1

51 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

So I should have left the machine open so the girl 30' away can use it when she's done doing squats? 

How do you not know the gym rules by now????  Clearly, that woman was using the machine and it wasn't open.  Why else would her bag be nearby?  Man, you were just itching for a fight, eh?

BTW, who "feigns a punch"?  That's about as dopey as getting all torqued up over a gym machine.  Tell me these two weren't "regulars" and are likely just January burnouts.

• Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Good for you on not getting your ass kicked.

Question:  Should you have stood there when punched was feigned?  Seems to me that a feigned punch is as good as assault, might you have been better off counter attacking at that point rather than taking a chance on getting a beating whilst just standing there trying to look unphased?

Also, is it the kind of gym were you could get these asswipes banned outright?  Seems like that would be a lot of fun if you were ready for another parking lot encounter.  Are there right answers, or only shades of wrong answers here?

Most of all, good for standing ground on the machine usage, nobody gets to reserve equipment. 

Legally speaking he technically committed a crime by communicating a threat and the feigned punch is an assault. But... I have a pretty good read on people & his body language/posture didn't indicate to me he wanted to fight. I didn't flinch because I'm a bad ass, I knew he couldn't do anything from that distance.   Had he got up in my face and said I'm gonna kick your ass my response would have been different.

Dude didn't want to fight and neither did I.  His girl was just pissed and trying to start shit through her boyfriend.

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

How do you not know the gym rules by now????  Clearly, that woman was using the machine and it wasn't open.  Why else would her bag be nearby?  Man, you were just itching for a fight, eh?

BTW, who "feigns a punch"?  That's about as dopey as getting all torqued up over a gym machine.  Tell me these two weren't "regulars" and are likely just January burnouts.

Great point, I've been going to that gym regularly for 2 years and never saw them before...

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, ChrisL said:

AKA gym drama...

So I get to the gym and it's busy. I see the only open leg extension machine and get on it. I then see a gym bag next to it.  Dude on the next machine says she's using that machine & points to a girl doing squats.  No she's not, she's doing squats and I adjust the weight.

Squats girl walks up and says I'm using that machine.  No your not, your doing squats.  Well I'm going to use it now!  How you gonna do that with me on it?  Squats girl calls me an asshole and grabs her bag & moves on.

So after work out, Squats girl and next machine dude are waiting for me in the parking lot!!  Next machine dude says I'm gonna kick your ass!  Uh OK do what you gotta do... Your a fucking asshole!  I know, your girl already told me. So you gonna kick my ass now or later???  Dude feigns a punch, I don't flinch (he was 4' away)  and next machine dude and squats girl walks away.

Now the asshole that I am, I start egging him on.  So when should I expect my ass kicking then!?!? Hello? I'll be here tomorrow, should I expect it then!?!? 

Kids these days...

7 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Legally speaking he technically committed a crime by communicating a threat and the feigned punch is an assault. But... I have a pretty good read on people & his body language/posture didn't indicate to me he wanted to fight. I didn't flinch because I'm a bad ass, I knew he couldn't do anything from that distance.   Had he got up in my face and said I'm gonna kick your ass my response would have been different.

Dude didn't want to fight and neither did I.  His girl was just pissed and trying to start shit through her boyfriend.

Are you really ChrisL? I think you got hacked by Beanz.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

We have a girl at the gym that leaves the treadmill running when she wants to save it. She runs really fast and if she wants to get a drink or go say high to someone she jumps off the treadmill with it running and walks away. I guess that's her way of saving it.  I don't think anyone has called her on it, cute girls get away with a lot.

• Awesome 1

Many people don't know this but there is a special technique for impressing your girlfriend with your willingness to engage in combat but not actually performing in violence. First of all, square off against the guy, ball your fists, and make threatening noises. Ensure your gf is behind you and well protected from the impending violence. With your right fist, make a big jab. Lean into it like it is a death blow. Simultaneously, thump your chest with your left fist and make a grunt like "mmm". This simulates contact with your opponent and since your gf is in a protected position behind you, she can't actually see what has happened. She thinks you made contact with your enemy and that you are a manly man. Done!

hm6.jpg?w=300&h=219

• Haha 2

Circa November 2013, I nearly got run over by a jerk in a BMW (redundant) who blew thru a stop sign and crosswalk while talking on hjs phone. He was close enough that I could kick his car, so I did.

He took exception, stopped & got out, & wanted to fight, I could tell in about the first 3 seconds he was not a fighter. I trash talked him a bit & he finally got back in the beemer & screeched out. Whatta douche.

• Haha 1

Many a time I've been in conf

1 hour ago, 2Far said:

Circa November 2013, I nearly got run over by a jerk in a BMW (redundant) who blew thru a stop sign and crosswalk while talking on hjs phone. He was close enough that I could kick his car, so I did.

He took exception, stopped & got out, & wanted to fight, I could tell in about the first 3 seconds he was not a fighter. I trash talked him a bit & he finally got back in the beemer & screeched out. Whatta douche.

Many a time I've been in confrontation very like yours and without exception they backed down....oh yes. This was partly due to my air of controlled menace...... but mainly because they were scared they would kill me.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

Many a time I've been in conf

Many a time I've been in confrontation very like yours and without exception they backed down....oh yes. This was partly due to my air of controlled menace...... but mainly because they were scared they would kill me.

Does the term "crazy old codger" mean the same to your people as it does to mine?

6 hours ago, onbike1939 said:

I'm sorry but I have to say that you handled this all wrong........you should have taken the initiative and punched the girl......dear me yes...less risk that way.

I'm not afraid to admit the worse ass whooping I ever got was by the hands of a woman, a 250 lb drunk Samoan monster of a woman but a woman nonetheless.  The scariest fight I ever gotten into was with a naked 120 lb prostitute high on PCP.  And the worst punch I ever threw connected and layer out a old woman.  (Long story but basically I tried to hit someone else & she was in the wrong place at the wrong time...)

Oddly some of my worst scrapes in my younger years were with women???

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Oddly some of my worst scrapes in my younger years were with women???

Most violence-prone women will play the woman card and rely on the dude not to hit them back, even after punching several or more times.  I am sorry, this is not cool and not smart, because people in general will reach a point where they have to stop the attack by vigorous defense.  Then they will get all offended that they got punched back, and all other women will me too the shit out of anyone who has to defend themselves against a violent chick, regardless of being ignorant of what came before they arrived.  

This has never happened to me, but I have been a witness to it several times when I was much younger.  I know you try and exit the scene, but psycho bitches will often follow and punch at the same time, and women seem to feel that this is a-ok until they get popped back.  I don't know the answer of what to do in that situation, because all there are are bad options.

I see the wisdom of coaches telling athletes that nothing good happens after midnight, because that is when drunk and crazy intersect.  Yeah, you meet people and have fun until some idiot starts up, and the more people you have in your group and the more people they meet, the odds start to favor stupidity finding you.

People suck sometimes.

9 minutes ago, 12string said:

What about the guy code?  Dude tried to stand up for his girl and you made him run away with his tail between his legs.  Dude ain't gettin' any for at least a month now!

Right? Never thought of that angle.  Chick was pissed too and giving him hell as first he and than her walked away.  I actually feel bad for the dude now!

12 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Most violence-prone women will play the woman card and rely on the dude not to hit them back, even after punching several or more times.  I am sorry, this is not cool and not smart, because people in general will reach a point where they have to stop the attack by vigorous defense.  Then they will get all offended that they got punched back, and all other women will me too the shit out of anyone who has to defend themselves against a violent chick, regardless of being ignorant of what came before they arrived.  

This has never happened to me, but I have been a witness to it several times when I was much younger.  I know you try and exit the scene, but psycho bitches will often follow and punch at the same time, and women seem to feel that this is a-ok until they get popped back.  I don't know the answer of what to do in that situation, because all there are are bad options.

I see the wisdom of coaches telling athletes that nothing good happens after midnight, because that is when drunk and crazy intersect.  Yeah, you meet people and have fun until some idiot starts up, and the more people you have in your group and the more people they meet, the odds start to favor stupidity finding you.

People suck sometimes.

My scrapes with women were all under color of authority but yeah your right and I've seen it too.  I had to physically separate a buddy from his GF as she was about to murder his ass but he wasn't about to hit her. Bad scene...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Right? Never thought of that angle.  Chick was pissed too and giving him hell as first he and than her walked away.  I actually feel bad for the dude now!

My scrapes with women were all under color of authority but yeah your right and I've seen it too.  I had to physically separate a buddy from his GF as she was about to murder his ass but he wasn't about to hit her. Bad scene...

I've actually been able to restrain people that have tried to put a whuppin on me. I think that only works when you are physically stronger than the person trying to beat you up.

Interesting problem. I can't see how the girl could consider any machine hers when she's doing something else unless that something else was specifically in preparation for it.

When certified high school coaches were out of our seasons and not coaching - like me in Winter, we took turns supervising the weight room for male and female athletes who were not on current teams but wanted to maintain their workout routines.  The girls on the Spring fast-pitch Softball Team I coached were often coming up to my classroom after school and telling me that I had to come down to the weight room so they wouldn't get pushed off machines unfairly.  In some cases, I'd keep people off a piece of equipment someone was going to use but ONLY if he/she who was in line to use it was currently stretching in preparation to use it.  Squats do not qualify as such a preparation!  I didn't show any favoritism to the girls and the baseball, lacrosse, etc. boys knew I was looking out for them as well and never argued with me when I told them it was their turn to wait.

11 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Interesting problem. I can't see how the girl could consider any machine hers when she's doing something else unless that something else was specifically in preparation for it.

When certified high school coaches were out of our seasons and not coaching - like me in Winter, we took turns supervising the weight room for male and female athletes who were not on current teams but wanted to maintain their workout routines.  The girls on the Spring fast-pitch Softball Team I coached were often coming up to my classroom after school and telling me that I had to come down to the weight room so they wouldn't get pushed off machines unfairly.  In some cases, I'd keep people off a piece of equipment someone was going to use but ONLY if he/she who was in line to use it was currently stretching in preparation to use it.  Squats do not qualify as such a preparation!  I didn't show any favoritism to the girls and the baseball, lacrosse, etc. boys knew I was looking out for them as well and never argued with me when I told them it was their turn to wait.

It's pretty common actually for people to hold, or try to hold equipment they are not using.  She was alternating between squats and leg extensions, I get that.

There are plenty of machines at my gym, 3-4 of each machine so I generally just use another if I see someone is alternating and has a routine going. But at 5:30 PM the gym was packed and all of the other leg extension machines were in use so I jumped on "hers".   

• Haha 1

I've seen people leave their junk (bag, phone, towel, jacket) on a machine to try to "save" it. That doesn't work because people wanting to use the machine just set it on the floor.  It doesn't happen often because our facility was over built for the number of members we have but this time of year there are some nubes that invade the place. 

29 minutes ago, Ltdskilz said:

It doesn't sound like you were in a Judgment Free Zone.

Nope, 24 Hour Fitness.  I actually like the gym and the regulars are cool.  I get friendly nods and the occasional fist bump from the regulars.  As LJ alluded to there are a lot of new people in there right now.

20 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I've seen people leave their junk (bag, phone, towel, jacket) on a machine to try to "save" it. That doesn't work because people wanting to use the machine just set it on the floor.  It doesn't happen often because our facility was over built for the number of members we have but this time of year there are some nubes that invade the place. 

The frustrating thing for me is those who camp out on a machine between sets.  Some will tie up a machine 10-15 minutes.  

Like I mentioned there is generally enough machines where I can go to another but I've done my whole weight routine including 6-8 machines and the same person is sitting on the same machine on their phone the entire time.

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

The frustrating thing for me is those who camp out on a machine between sets.  Some will tie up a machine 10-15 minutes.  

Like I mentioned there is generally enough machines where I can go to another but I've done my whole weight routine including 6-8 machines and the same person is sitting on the same machine on their phone the entire time.

If they are just sitting on what I want to use I just tell them it's time to move it. About the only thing I've had to do that on is a piece of equipment for shoulder therapy. They only have the one, anyone can use it but if you don't have a shoulder injury there really isn't any reason to.

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

I'm just glad that all assholes don't get their asses kicked every time someone figures out they are an asshole.  If they did, I would be getting my ass kicked at least once or twice a day.  :(  

My best friend in high school was always making smart ass comments and and as a result always almost getting his ass kicked.  I'm actually quite surprised he managed to avoid it as much as he did!