Violent movies / shows

Square Wheels

Even though there is something dreadfully wrong with you, I feel there is still hope.

The walking dead had its moments, but it is all rehash now.  Still, I will watch it because of the survivalist instinct in us.  It has nice scenery, I like the idea of humanity getting knocked back a couple of pegs, too.  The production value is quite high, you know, sometimes that is just enough, plus the familiarity and all that.  You can easily multitask with it on in the background, too.

You would think that they would have knocked off most of the the walkers by now.

Speaking of Game of Thrones, I have seen Tryion in Brooklyn a couple of times.  He has a massively dark amish beard, very dense.  So dense, that I don't think light can escape it.

42 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Do you like them?  Over the years, I realized I do not.

I watched far too many seasons of The walking Dead.  It got really bad, I stopped.

I only watched a little of Game of Thrones.

Unless it is a HUGE requirement of the plot, it is not something I watch.  Deadwood was violent, but it was sort of the point. GoT is violent, but they could slim that down a bit and still make the point and move the plot forward.

Graphic violence is usual unnecessary since most folks can see the start, see the finish, and fill in the middle without a need to actually see gratuitous gore.

Ok, I have thought about this more, and here it goes.  You are wrong.

Wrong about what, though?  You aren't wrong because you don't like the violence.  But you are wrong because you are focusing on the violence, rather than focusing on the violence as a means to advance a story.  In the walking dead, it is the backdrop of the real story.  Sure, the kids first focus on the violent parts, then get more involved in the story as time goes by (presumably), and learn to appreciate the finer points of storytelling.  You can't have a post-apocalyptic story without having a bit of a devolution first, then you find a way to rise above your circumstance and baseness.  These types of stories are redemptive in a way, each challenge met with determination to overcome, hidden resourcefulness to find.

Same thing with GoT, Lord of the Rings, Home Alone, Harry Potter, Tom and Jerry, Bad Santa, you name it.  At their core, visual entertainment is about escape, about situations where you are most likely never going to end up in.  Weirdness allow you to imagine yourself in different scenarios, to exercise your mind, let you think about what you or someone should do in similar situations.  

Anyway, back to the violence.  I fast forward through long violent scenes a lot if it seems there is nothing new in it or it seems gratuitous.  I am liking old movies a bit more because the violence is not so stylized, and is often presented as something that happened rather than a main element.  I wouldn't skip something violent, though, you might watch GoT and decide you want to check out the parts of Ireland they film in, or you might learn that sexy redheads are your thing, so you buy Speed Demon a red wig before you ravage her next.  Easier said than done, but focus on looking for something that you do find enjoyable when you have to sit through a violent thing or other.

I don’t seek out violent movies, but there are occasional action movies where the violence gets more graphic than expected. There are times the shock values can be purposely uncomfortable to help drive a point. If the violence becomes mind numbing in its excess, I move on. 

It would help to understand "violence" as defined by the audiance.  People mention some TV shows like Walking Dead and identify them as violent.  Is this the same sort of violence as viewed in a movie such as Saving Private Ryan, or Lawrence of Arabia.  Those movies cannot be done without some sort of violence but it's not exactly the same violence.

36 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

It would help to understand "violence" as defined by the audience.  People mention some TV shows like Walking Dead and identify them as violent.  Is this the same sort of violence as viewed in a movie such as Saving Private Ryan, or Lawrence of Arabia.  Those movies cannot be done without some sort of violence but it's not exactly the same violence.

Cop takes out his notepad, and starts writing. "It never is, bud, it never is."

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

I watch them.  Dexter, You, Walking Dead, etc.  Sometimes, I close my eyes when the gore is too extreme. 

Scary stuff is fun.  You guys are weird.

This was it for me.  I only searched for this scene, I suspect it's the one that did me in.  It really turned me off of ever watching a violent series again.

If you don't like violence, don't watch it (again, if it the one I think it is).  What was the purpose of showing this?  It was beyond awful.

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

If you don't like violence, don't watch it (again, if it the one I think it is).  What was the purpose of showing this?  It was beyond awful. 

My point, again with graphic (gratuitous) violence is that it really is unnecessary. Our minds can easily fill in the gaps between the start and the end (think Psycho shower scene).  If folks can't do that (use their imagination) or actually WANT to see the graphic violence, then there is something more frightening happening in our culture than what is on the screen :(

• Heart 1