The Office

Square Wheels

16 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I just started this.  I know it's old, but it's really bad.  Does it get better?

Let's say your 10 year old nephew tells you a joke.  You'll chuckle to be polite.  But then he tells you another, and another, and another...

That's how this show feels.  Pretty lame, not funny.

You will not like this.  If you want to really not like something, try watching the British version.

What do you like, television-wise?

4 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I really liked Friends.  Cheers in it's day was good.  As you know, Seinfeld was not for me.

We know about you and Seinfeld.  You like classic laughtracky sitcoms  The office is kind of newfangled, and Seinfeld is a show about nothing.  I don't know what to tell you.

Just now, Randomguy said:

We know about you and Seinfeld.  You like classic laughtracky sitcoms  The office is kind of newfangled, and Seinfeld is a show about nothing.  I don't know what to tell you.

Bring back Happy Days, or All in the Family (like that would ever air today), or the Jefferesons, Welcome Back Kotter...  I don't watch TV.  Only Netflix.  I'll find something else.

She is a cutie though, aged well too.

Related image

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I really liked Friends.  Cheers in it's day was good.  As you know, Seinfeld was not for me.

What that indicates to me is that you don't like The Office because you lack a sense of humor.  Perhaps you hit your head as a child?

I like the Big Bang Theory which the series is ending soon. :(  It's more contemporary to me...and in a weird way, more real to my world. Not as geeky, but diverse reality of friendships in a big city. I enjoyed Frasier a lot too.  I had a blend of geeky guy, girl friends and also attractive female friends who were bright (but didn't speak in squeaky voices.).  2 of the actresses from Big Bang.,,,,,yay!

Mayim-with-Rati-750x563.jpg

13 hours ago, Further said:

2 & 1/2 men

Funnier than hell. You feel slightly soiled, and a little guilty for enjoying it. But it is funny. 

Very funny.  I still watch it in reruns almost every day.  When you can watch episodes you have seen before and still laugh, the show passes the test.

But just watch the Charlie Sheen ones (first 8 seasons).  The Ashton Kutcher version (seasons 9-12) is dull in comparison.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

The Office had some great parts, but I think it sort of jumped the shark at some point and became a little boring and repetitive, especially in the Jim and Pam area.  Steve Carrell and the writing were very good, but the ensemble cast was snice too.

The characters are great.  I really enjoy the dark character traits of Creed.  Dude is connected.  HAHA

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

The characters are great.  I really enjoy the dark character traits of Creed.  Dude is connected.  HAHA

The characters are all too insane and unbelievable for it to be humorous to me.  I like shows where the characters and the premise are somewhat believable.  The best comedy is based on reality and on our everyday experiences and not on complete absurdity.    

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Road Runner said:

The characters are all too insane and unbelievable for it to be humorous to me.  I like shows where the characters and the premise are somewhat believable.  The best comedy is based on reality and on our everyday experiences and not on complete absurdity.    

People are interesting.  I think that we all meet wacky characters that are unbelievable.  I met one in Cali recently. He could easily be a Creed type.  He is a day trader, so there is no job he goes to, but if he did.  LOL

9 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Another example is "2 Broke Girls".  Ridiculous characters, ridiculous premise, and everything they say is a joke with a constant laugh track.  To each his own, but crazy and insane just isn't funny to me. 

29 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I love absurdity.  Green Acres and Airplane and Dumb and Dumber and Dracula Dead and Loving It all the way! ;D

But it can be taken a little 2Far.  It's Always Sunny always seemed too contrived to me, like it was trying to be absurd just for the sake of absurdity itself.  I am mildly amused by it, but can;t take too much of it. 

18 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Another example is "2 Broke Girls".  Ridiculous characters, ridiculous premise, and everything they say is a joke with a constant laugh track.  To each his own, but crazy and insane just isn't funny to me. 

That was very bad.  I think its sole purpose was for men to ogle the wimmin.

Now the blonde is in that comedy aboot a white fambly moving into a black neighborhood next to Cedric the Entertainer.  She is still a bad actor!

2 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

That was very bad.  I think its sole purpose was for men to ogle the wimmin.

Now the blonde is in that comedy aboot a white fambly moving into a black neighborhood next to Cedric the Entertainer.  She is still a bad actor!

I really like The Neighborhood, but I have to agree I don't think she's a good actor.

• Awesome 1

Just now, TrentonMakes said:

Like most things, "funny" is subjective.

I think those first couple seasons of The Office are hysterical.  And its lack of a laugh track is indeed a good thing. 

I'm glad Pam realized she deserved a lot better than Roy. 

I came to the US version from the Brit version and was horrified by the first episode. Absolutely angry and gutted that they ruined a great show. Then the US version started coming into its own, and while the cast was always too large, it was a collection of nuts and fun to watch. Eventually, it got a bit stale as Michael ended his run, but it still had plenty of moments of funny stuff. Dwight & Michael were always the core of the insanity, but the "straight men" (Pam & Jim) and supporting crew kept things humming along as well.