For those of us battling the bulge...

petitepedal

I saw this on NBC's web page yesterday... thought she had some good advice...  https://www.nbcnews.com/better/lifestyle/daily-practice-helped-woman-lose-50-pounds-keep-it-ncna959831

I am still working it one day at a time....trying to make healthy snacks of 100 to 150 calories... like a piece of rye crisp, avocado and a slice of deli turkey....just to take the edge off between meals...or to have a healthy choice at break when they bring out the cookies and crap :whistle:

More and more people are promoting  healthy lifestyle changes....and not a  diet for weight loss...Kinda like the term "forever home" for rescue pets...it is a "forever change".....

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

I do the daily weighing thing and I think it helps, sort of like taking the derivative of a function to keep track of the current trajectory up or down fast or slow, or steady - I am mostly steady and slow up), realizing that day to day noise affects it a lot and should be discounted.  I also think of the best and worst thing I have done that day.  Last night was very bad, a fambly dinner with pizza, wings, cheesesteaks, birthday cake, and beer.  Tonight is likely more of the same, and Sunday is also dinner at someones house so basically all that is in my control is portion size, so that's where I need to concentrate to get through this challenging weekend. 

Winter is also beri beri bad for me because I don't really have time or more importantly motivation to exercise during the week.  Of course now that I reflect on that it is bullshit.  I have very little time but I could make wiser use of it by exercising, whether in a gym or at home. 

She has some good points - it really matters what foods you bring into your home or workplace, and also just THINKING instead of allowing yourself to eat mindlessly is important.

• Heart 2

10 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Winter is also beri beri bad for me because I don't really have time or more importantly motivation to exercise during the week.  Of course now that I reflect on that it is bullshit.  I have very little time but I could make wiser use of it by exercising, whether in a gym or at home. 

That is where the Atomic Habits book fits in...about making it easy..If I didn't drive by the gym on my way home...I probably wouldn't go..especially in the winter...cold and dark is incentive to sit on the couch :whistle:  The other thing (which I am gonna give a shot at) is making time for it... Wanna run a marathon..start by lacing up the shoes and putting them on...and work your way up...Wanna write a book...start with writing a sentence daily, then a paragraph, then a short story...His gym suggestion was to start with 10 minutes....other things he said 2 minutes...just START...

15 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

That is where the Atomic Habits book fits in...about making it easy..If I didn't drive by the gym on my way home...I probably wouldn't go..especially in the winter...cold and dark is incentive to sit on the couch :whistle:  The other thing (which I am gonna give a shot at) is making time for it... Wanna run a marathon..start by lacing up the shoes and putting them on...and work your way up...Wanna write a book...start with writing a sentence daily, then a paragraph, then a short story...His gym suggestion was to start with 10 minutes....other things he said 2 minutes...just START...

My problem is I looove hibernating!  Of course I guess all couch potatoes say that!  Being a couch potato is a lot like procrastination - the payoff is immediate, vs long term and delayed for exercising or being responsible.  Of course maybe the thing to focus on is the near term benefits of exercise and responsibility - they both release some potent body chemicals that are even more satisfying than the couch potato chemicals. :D

I think I need to ramp up the exercise at home.  There is a close-by gym, but it is spensive.  The company does pay a certain amount though, so I should check oot HOW expensive.

33 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Being a couch potato is a lot like procrastination - the payoff is immediate, vs long term and delayed for exercising or being responsible.  Of course maybe the thing to focus on is the near term benefits of exercise and responsibility - they both release some potent body chemicals that are even more satisfying than the couch potato chemicals. :D

Which is why planks were invented. They involve a lot of laying around. You'll have to shave your head, though. It's a rule.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Which is why planks were invented. They involve a lot of laying around. You'll have to shave your head, though. It's a rule.

If you have a large belly you may have to start out in the push-up position to keep your belly from resting on the floor while you plank.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

If you have a large belly you may have to start out in the push-up position to keep your belly from resting on the floor while you plank.

What's wrong with a little rest?  Good way to start!  :D

This planking is interesting.  I guess I have heard the word before but never really looked into what it was.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

What's wrong with a little rest?  Good way to start!  :D

This planking is interesting.  I guess I have heard the word before but never really looked into what it was.

There are a variety of planks and basic leg lifts. It is a low dynamic exercise set but burns calories and builds core strength. Plus you can watch your favorite episodes of Star Trek at the same time.

TOS2x24d.png

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, donkpow said:

There are a variety of planks and basic leg lifts. It is a low dynamic exercise set but burns calories and builds core strength. Plus you can watch your favorite episodes of Star Trek at the same time.

TOS2x24d.png

Then why hasn;t it taken the world by storm?  Or has it, and I've just been oblivious? :(  Was it on Star Trek?

Then why hasn;t it taken the world by storm?  Or has it, and I've just been oblivious? :( Was it on Star Trek?

The "Fit Chick" brought them to my attention a decade or so ago. Sit ups are not necessarily good for you so leg lifts are a good alternative. Push ups tend to add upper body bulk, so for chicks that's not necessarily a desired outcome.

f1e00639e525c1ea84d108be9f3375be.jpg

5 minutes ago, donkpow said:

The "Fit Chick" brought them to my attention a decade or so ago. Sit ups are not necessarily good for you so leg lifts are a good alternative. Push ups tend to add upper body bulk, so for chicks that's not necessarily a desired outcome.

f1e00639e525c1ea84d108be9f3375be.jpg

Man, that is an intense exercise!  Really hits the abs!  I was only good for 30 seconds or so before it got too uncomfortable.  I'll try a few more while looking at the timer on the eyephone.

• Awesome 1

Just now, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Man, that is an intense exercise!  Really hits the abs!  I was only good for 30 seconds or so before it got too uncomfortable.  I'll try a few more while looking at the timer on the eyephone.

It gets easier while giving you positive results. You know, with the first set, the body mind goes, "WTF??!!!!"

• Awesome 1

Just now, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Yup!  It seems weird that the muscles have to work so hard to maintain what seems like should be a somewhat neutral position.

I haven't been able to get at these exercises for a couple of years, now. My bike doesn't fit, I stiff arm my bars, I get tingling, ... I'm not a performance rider but I definitely can see the degradation. I hope you can realize improvements.

2 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

or just ride lots :)  that's my secret

It's the truth.  Or, "move lots" is fine.  In other words, burn more than you consume, and eventually burn what you consume.

I'm at the point in my life where I can identify many many people I know who are always on a diet.  I can also identify the folks in my life who have always been active.  The folks always on a diet are always struggling with their weight. The folks always being active are not.

I'm firmly in the "eat healthy" not "eat to a calorie count" camp, and find if you simply pay attention to what you eat - and if necessary RECORD it - then you will significantly reduce your consumption over time. If you have increased your activity, you will be doubly blessed.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

^ very true @Razors Edge Activity is important. Long as I maintain a certain level of cycling, I eat whatever I want, and drink beer (all w/in reason of course). But it really is that simple.

Your level of cycling is exceptional, so for more "normal" folks, I'd suggest increasing activity levels wherever possible.  Morning walks, lunchtime walks, and/or evening walks are all easily achievable goals.  Generally, except in the worst weather, what else do folks have to do on the lunch break? Eat and then walk.  Park nowhere near to an entrance. Walk the one mile to the store.  Walk your dog.  Start "wasting" steps instead of trying to do as much as possible with as little effort as possible.  If you have to, do what Petite is doing and embrace the dreadmill or even Square's basement trainer :(

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Your level of cycling is exceptional, so for more "normal" folks, I'd suggest increasing activity levels wherever possible.  Morning walks, lunchtime walks, and/or evening walks are all easily achievable goals.  Generally, except in the worst weather, what else do folks have to do on the lunch break? Eat and then walk.  Park nowhere near to an entrance. Walk the one mile to the store.  Walk your dog.  Start "wasting" steps instead of trying to do as much as possible with as little effort as possible.  If you have to, do what Petite is doing and embrace the dreadmill or even Square's basement trainer :(

Or walk to the ice cream store?

• Awesome 2
  • Haha 1

We have one the perfect distance away but it is basically unwalkable - too dangerous because most of the way is just road with no sidewalk or open area.

Still waiting for the brewpub, but that would be even more dangerous! 

Time to SELL your house, and find a place that supports your health and well being :D

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I step on the scale daily. I try to guess what my weight will be based on what I ate yesterday vs activities.  Most days, I am pretty close. 

I take the stairs to most of my clients. I will park in the first available spot I see rather than circle the lot for the closest I can find. 

Portion control is hardest this time of year. Not only the holiday parties, but cold weather makes me crave comfort foods. Soups and stews that are dense with calories. If there is only a little left at the bottom of the pot, might as well finish it since it's not enough to save.... I pay for that every time. 

I pack my gym bag every morning I plan to go to the gym and put it in the car. The gym is on the way home so I have no excuses. I can even beat the evening crowding if I go straight there. 

I have been taking a Zumba class. I was given some free classes in exchange for some promotional photos of the owners. I still feel a little weird being the only guy sometimes, but I have found the lateral movements help use muscles cycling and running don't. I'm also getting a little more flexibility in my lower back! I will keep going even when I have to pay for the classes. 

• Awesome 2

31 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Time to SELL your house, and find a place that supports your health and well being :D

Razor, a lot of people here don't want to hear/do that.  However most people who are/have been cyclists here, could be more receptive to this idea.

Cycling and walking probably has saved me after all these decades of my life.  Last night, I was walking home in the snow from LRT station, just thanking myself to have chosen a home only a 15 min. walk.  Then I walked 3 min. to a cafe to have a big bowl of my favourite soup. I wanted to treat myself after yet another job interview. I was asked if I had a driver's license.  I said no because I gave up license in my 20's.  I was asked if I was willing to undertake training to get it.  I paused (for them) and said, "No".  I didn't apologize.  But I was thinking to myself:  That's not a good thing to ask of someone in my age bracket.  But it was a stock question to any candidate.

I was not shattered because....I've come so far in life, had great jobs and experiences that I know some of my colleagues would love to have, a career that was not sideswiped due to lack of car license.  Besides I wondered seriously about the supervisor of this job....  (another diversion from this healthy lifestyle topic.)

I live downtown where it is snow cleared regularily -- sidewalks, roads, major MUPs in parks system and cycle track.  :)   It's lousy snow clearing out in our suburbs when it's heavy snow.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, petitepedal said:

My trainer has me doing side planks...now with swapping sides mid-air..not putting my azz on the mat..and on one of the workouts it is the 1 arm plank and flipping the ropes :wacko: It is getting so 3 regular plans of 45seconds to a minute each is easy...compared to the others.... 

Side planks are definitely tougher than regular planks - to me at least.  But clearly your body is adapting to each exercise and position enough to progress along to the harder stuff.  It is like the cycling saying - it never gets easier, you just get faster, but in this case it is just getting stronger and moving to the next level up. That is definite progress!

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

5 hours ago, groupw said:

. I still feel a little weird being the only guy sometimes, but I have found the lateral movements help use muscles cycling and running don't. I'm also getting a little more flexibility in my lower back! I will keep going even when I have to pay for the classes. 

I actually like the classes where I’m the only guy and they like having me there. I stopped going to the one aerobic dance class because the women all knew the moves and I had trouble keeping up. They said everyone has trouble at first. The drumming class is really cool, my leg muscles get really sore after that class.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

We have one the perfect distance away but it is basically unwalkable - too dangerous because most of the way is just road with no sidewalk or open area.

Still waiting for the brewpub, but that would be even more dangerous!

A brewpub is opening this spring .7 miles from me. There’s even a little trail through the woods to get there. It’s connected to a candy and ice cream shop. Guess I’ll be getting my steps in. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3