Star Trek was a little ahead of its time in other than the obvious way

Ralphie

The whole human vs logic thing.  I am afeared that robots are going to kick our ass in many ways because they relentlessly use logic and never forget and probably learn from the past, some things that siriusly challenge us humans, especially us older humans!

So I guess we need to concentrate on our more messy advantages, mainly that we are devious and sneaky as hell. :D  And maybe our "gut" and intuition also and ability to make connections, although the robots have their own advantages in the connection area. 

I am thinking of the coming co-existence of robot cars and human drivers.  It will undoubtedly be veeeery interesting, as Artie Shaw <see that, I forget! - courtesy of the google robot, Arte Johnson>  would say!  The cars will be forced to obey the rules - the number one area for conflict or at least a big difference is the de facto vs legal speed limits.  It has bothered me that there is again such a marked difference, much like there was in the day of the double nickel speed limit.  So we are all basically a nation of crinimals again unless we plod along in the right lane at 65.  The gray area or judgement call and ethical debate is 65-69  - still technically illegal, but practically you will be pretty darn safe from the long arm of the law, but you will loose the moral high ground. 

• Heart 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Robots need absolute boundaries. Fuzzy logic will always be flawed, as we have found in humans. 

You don;t hear as much aboot fuzzy logic these days - the buzzword seems to have shifted away from it and artificial intelligence and neural networks to machine intelligence. 

• Heart 1

Instead of Hollywood always producing so many futuristic shows about people in space, I think it would be more interesting to see what the earth is like in the year 3000 or 4000.

How did we solve the big problems facing us?  Such as overpopulation, destruction of the environment and our natural resources, overpopulation, diseases, war, overpopulation, etc. ?

• Whatever 1
  • Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Instead of Hollywood always producing so many futuristic shows about people in space, I think it would be more interesting to see what the earth is like in the year 3000 or 4000.

How did we solve the big problems facing us?  Such as overpopulation, destruction of the environment and our natural resources, overpopulation, diseases, war, overpopulation, etc. ?

Allow me to introduce myself............Hope you know my name.

10 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Predicting is hard, especially of the future.

Something very cool aboot a statement by a genius physicist, Neils Bohr, that is often attributed to and sounds eggzactly like a statement that could be by  Yogi Berra.  I and millyuns of others love Yogi's absurdity. :)

• Heart 2
  • Whatever 1

10 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

We will be around to see the smaller things, like progress in solar power, electric cars, etc., but it would indeed be cool to know how things look 100 years from now.

• Whatever 1

I also find futuristic shows where the races are still so defined to be ludicrous.  I'm pretty sure that if we don't kill ourselves off as a species, we will surely be just an amalgamation of the races by the year 3000.  To see people with strictly caucasian, african or asian physical features will probably be somewhat rare in the distant future.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

I also find futuristic shows where the races are still so defined to be ludicrous.  I'm pretty sure that if we don't kill ourselves off as a species, we will surely be just an amalgamation of the races by the year 3000.  To see people with strictly caucasian, african or asian physical features will probably be somewhat rare in the distant future.  

Greenville SC will be a time capsule of 1956.   :nodhead:

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

Yup!  Just like the standard street dog.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I am afeared that robots are going to kick our ass in many ways because they relentlessly use logic and never forget and probably learn from the past, some things that siriusly challenge us humans, especially us older humans!

Sigh.

Frankenstein started out as a scary story about the effects of new technology.

We take it for granted now. It's a box that can save lives, and you can find it in schools, buses, you can even have a defib in your home.

That's the arc these tech stories follow. 'OOOHHH, I'm scared', and then, 'where's a defib when you need one???'

Humans and computers have a symbiotic relationship, and that's not going to change for a century, or more.

When it does change, it will be because we have given them legal status as people. Which is also a symbiotic relationship.

Sorry, but popular scific isn't science, or logical, or...

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, late said:

Sigh.

We take it for granted now. It's a box that can save lives, and you can find it in schools, buses, you can even have a defib in your home.

That's the arc these tech stories follow. 'OOOHHH, I'm scared', and then, 'where's a defib when you need one???'

Humans and computers have a symbiotic relationship, and that's not going to change for a century, or more.

When it does change, it will be because we have given them legal status as people. Which is also a symbiotic relationship.

... and trains were going to go dangerously fast. As were the automobiles.

9 minutes ago, late said:

Sigh.

I'm not saying I am running oot to buy robot insurance!  The fun is in the human/technology relationship.  I love using the smartphone to compensate for my waning memory.

3 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Tricorders!

Devices isn't quite right.

UCD or PCD sounds good to me - Ubiquitous or Portable or Pocket Computing Device

I would expect something that described their function in some way, like Link.

• Awesome 1

My guess is that humans will put a limit on the ability of robots/computers to overthrow us.  But we will become partly robots ourselves to keep up.

But my guess is that we, clothed, bespectacled, hearing aided, wristwatched, smartphoned, etc. humans will continue to augment what we can do physically and mentally with artificial improvements so that we will be more like the Borg than like Captain Picard in a couple hundred years. Once technology is able to let our brain tap into a memory bank or app that does math, creative writing, etc. people will connect. Hopefully we won't be locked into a central memory with a queen making the big decisions, but there surely will be a voluntary memory bank people will access just like they use Wikipedia now.

1 minute ago, MickinMD said:

My guess is that humans will put a limit on the ability of robots/computers to overthrow us.  But we will become partly robots ourselves to keep up.

But my guess is that we, clothed, bespectacled, hearing aided, wristwatched, smartphoned, etc. humans will continue to augment what we can do physically and mentally with artificial improvements so that we will be more like the Borg than like Captain Picard in a couple hundred years. Once technology is able to let our brain tap into a memory bank or app that does math, creative writing, etc. people will connect. Hopefully we won't be locked into a central memory with a queen making the big decisions, but there surely will be a voluntary memory bank people will access just like they use Wikipedia now.

Or "Surrogates"

04136.jpg

8 hours ago, Road Runner said:

The Road    :(

12 hours ago, Road Runner said:

They did that in Escape from New York.