Kinda forget there is an example in real life

shootingstar

I read about these retirees who still work part-time, are active and doing stuff.  https://www.theglobeandmail.com/investing/personal-finance/retirement/article-active-baby-boomers-rewrite-the-retirement-myth/

Honest, I do sometimes forget that dearie has been and is still like some of these folks in the article.

A good friend @61, who just retired last fall, told me what she's done so far:

• Rides her bike several times per wk. in non-snowy days. She gave up her transit pass.  She hasn't had a car in past 25 yrs.  She uses car share. She lives in her house, 15 min. away from subway station in Toronto.
  • Volunteers for Toronto cycling group.  
  • Went on group bike tour of Israel and Jordan
  • Then flew over to visit her family in our prairie city. Where she later of course, went skiing with family .  It's only 1 hr. drive away in mountains.
  • She checked on her condo that she bought here..as an investment.  Her nephew and GF rent it.
  • Thinking of part-time gigs in technical writing....which are probably plenty in Toronto.
  • She is single and no kids.

She said to me:  So far I've spent more money in retirement than I did when I was working.  That's probably true because she went travelling.  

From one of the folks in the story, you see the best and worst case scenario for "retirement".  The worst being you NEED to work, and the best being you WANT to "work".  I put "work" in parentheses for #2 because it really isn't work if you are doing it out of passion (and not necessity).  I could see my retirement years similar to what seems to be a growing trend - Nat Park (or state/regional) campground hosting.  Spend your days enjoying a "job" that also doubles as a hobby, etc..

One factor in his decision to work after retirement, says Mr. VanGorder, was the financial hit on the couple’s investments (neither spouse had company pensions) that failed to recover fully from the global banking crisis in 2008. But he also cites important non-financial factors: the couple’s good health and his desire to build a business based on strong consumer demand for pole walking as a form of low-impact exercise.

1 minute ago, donkpow said:

One of the local parks hires retirees to man the front gate. Generally, the park systems aren't hiring but seasonal work is often available.

Yeah - they are generally "volunteer with benefits" positions.  In other words, you works as a host which gets you a free site, usually a hook-up for water & electricity, and possibly a small stipend.  That's basically a fair swap if you are in a Nat Park for a nice period of time.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - they are generally "volunteer with benefits" positions.  In other words, you works as a host which gets you a free site, usually a hook-up for water & electricity, and possibly a small stipend.  That's basically a fair swap if you are in a Nat Park for a nice period of time.

"You feel lucky, punk?"

three-wheel-bicycles-for-seniors.jpg?fit

• Heart 1

38 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I lot of retirees are not looking for a hook up.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I read about these retirees who still work part-time, are active and doing stuff.  https://www.theglobeandmail.com/investing/personal-finance/retirement/article-active-baby-boomers-rewrite-the-retirement-myth/

Honest, I do sometimes forget that dearie has been and is still like some of these folks in the article.

• Rides her bike several times per wk. in non-snowy days. She gave up her transit pass.  She hasn't had a car in past 25 yrs.  She uses car share. She lives in her house, 15 min. away from subway station in Toronto.
  • Then flew over to visit her family in our prairie city. Where she later of course, went skiing with family .  It's only 1 hr. drive away in mountains.
  • She checked on her condo that she bought here..as an investment.  Her nephew and GF rent it.
  • Thinking of part-time gigs in technical writing....which are probably plenty in Toronto.

She said to me:  So far I've spent more money in retirement than I did when I was working.  That's probably true because she went travelling.  

No, it's because she has extra time on her hands.  I actually find it easier to save when I'm working my ass off.  But unemployment?  That's when my wallet opens up.  I've got the time to do stuff, man.  I need to put a new roof on that shed.  Great time of the year to go bike riding in Jackson Hole or Sun Valley.  I'll put things on credit because I'm going to get a job, right?? Well, at least that's how I thought when I was younger. It worked then.  I dunno about now.

5 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Excellent example.  I was just telling my brother, fifteen years younger than me, two days ago that I need something that makes me more physically active.  I'm hoping to ride my bike for an hour 3x/week when the weather warms up this Spring, but I need something to keep me busy, maybe volunteering for something that will keep me on my feet for a few hours on the other days.

5 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Excellent example.  I was just telling my brother, fifteen years younger than me, two days ago that I need something that makes me more physically active.  I'm hoping to ride my bike for an hour 3x/week when the weather warms up this Spring, but I need something to keep me busy, maybe volunteering for something that will keep me on my feet for a few hours on the other days.

Find something you can ride your bike to and from, maybe.

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

From one of the folks in the story, you see the best and worst case scenario for "retirement".  The worst being you NEED to work, and the best being you WANT to "work".  I put "work" in parentheses for #2 because it really isn't work if you are doing it out of passion (and not necessity).  I could see my retirement years similar to what seems to be a growing trend - Nat Park (or state/regional) campground hosting.  Spend your days enjoying a "job" that also doubles as a hobby, etc..

One factor in his decision to work after retirement, says Mr. VanGorder, was the financial hit on the couple’s investments (neither spouse had company pensions) that failed to recover fully from the global banking crisis in 2008. But he also cites important non-financial factors: the couple’s good health and his desire to build a business based on strong consumer demand for pole walking as a form of low-impact exercise.

Yes, I noticed that...they feel a need to work financially since neither have defined employer pensions.

My friend doesn't need to work.  She could (and probably will) sell her home in Toronto and move into her condo in our province. I was actually surprised she was even thinking about a part-time gig.  She is very fit:  a cyclist, jogger, regular tennis player (she's crazy about it) and does weights.  She is 4'10" and even smaller in frame than me.  That is small and tough.

16 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Ever consider being a school crossing guard?  A vast majority of them are retired folks as who can work from 7-8 am and 2-3 pm M-F.  Most do it as it gives them something to do and keeps them active.  The extra money also helps but isn't the primary reason most do it.

1 hour ago, Rattlecan said:

How about former Mississauga Ontario mayor (Hurricane) Hazel McCallion taking on a new job at the age of 97. Putting aside a little extra for when she finally reaches old age/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/former-mayor-hazel-mccallion-97-to-become-special-adviser-to-ford-government-1.4984766

As a person she's probably fine.

I was never keen about her politics.

21 hours ago, MickinMD said:

21 hours ago, donkpow said:

Find something you can ride your bike to and from, maybe.

21 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Good idea!

I figured out the best time to exercise is to and from work.  And the best way to do that is walk or ride.,  Because once I get home -- the party is over.  I'm not leaving to go to a gym and my stationary bike -- gawd love it -- is a nice fall back but it's just not the same.  I try riding my bike as much as possible to get to and from work -- whether it's the full ride or a combo ride by throwing the bike on the bus rack.