Rowers are kick ass

Dirtyhip

OTF has three basic parts, treadmill, rowing, and floor / weights.  I hate rowing, not because it's not a good activity, but because it's hard.  I get tired far faster and suspect I would not be able to sustain much for long.  Today we needed to go back and forth from rower to tread.  We got 2.5 min on the rower, I did 640 meters.  I was pooped.  Then run, then back to rower.

36 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Lovin my Concept 2.  The fish game is damn hard.  Not sure how to navigate that.

However, I am pulling a 1000 meter in 5 minutes.  That is better than I was in the work gym.  Plus, it isn't all whooped.  I dislike the gym machines with their creaky bullshit.

What resistance setting?

I had a Concept 2, but I am too fat to use it now, so I gave it to my nephew. Got an email from him a couple days ago.

"I really like the Concept II.  I"m actually surprised at how much I like it because I usually hate working out inside. I want to get into the city for that training session this month but I already the rower is tip-top. It's better than most of the ones I tried at gyms. I will look into updating the computer. And maybe putting a TV down there so I can stare at something other than my water heater. Some water scenes or virtual images. And that Kinetic trainer is awesome too. I would never have known what the hell it was if you hadn't told me about them. I hardly use my traditional stationary bike anymore. It didn't even need a skewer, i just need a Youtuber to show me the ins-and-outs of mounting it. $25! Unreal."

I gave him a coupon for Xmas, training at a rowing gym, that's going to be the training session. He found a Kurt Kinetic trainer at a thrift store while he was up here. I paid about $300 more than that for mine. 

He works like a dog, and his health has been going downhill, so I am basically ecstatic he's started using the rower.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, late said:

I had a Concept 2, but I am too fat to use it now, so I gave it to my nephew. Got an email from him a couple days ago.

"I really like the Concept II.  I"m actually surprised at how much I like it because I usually hate working out inside. I want to get into the city for that training session this month but I already the rower is tip-top. It's better than most of the ones I tried at gyms. I will look into updating the computer. And maybe putting a TV down there so I can stare at something other than my water heater. Some water scenes or virtual images. And that Kinetic trainer is awesome too. I would never have known what the hell it was if you hadn't told me about them. I hardly use my traditional stationary bike anymore. It didn't even need a skewer, i just need a Youtuber to show me the ins-and-outs of mounting it. $25! Unreal."

I gave him a coupon for Xmas, training at a rowing gym, that's going to be the training session. He found a Kurt Kinetic trainer at a thrift store while he was up here. I paid about $300 more than that for mine. 

He works like a dog, and his health has been going downhill, so I am basically ecstatic he's started using the rower.

I put my laptop near and have wireless headphones. Videos can be easily watched with the correct stool placement.

I coached high school girls who never rowed in their lives but got college rowing team scholarships!

Back in the 1980's, the NCAA ruled that colleges had to award a significant percentage (50%?) of athletic scholarships to women.

But the colleges did not have as many teams with women as, for example, the huge number of male football players.

So they began creating new teams in new sports so they could give women scholarships for them!

I had a few very good women softball players I coached at Old Mill High who also played soccer but weren't quite good enough to get college softball or soccer scholarships, but they could bench 200 lbs.  So colleges offered them full scholarships if they would play soccer in the Fall and be on the rowing team in the Spring.  None of them had ever rowed a boat!

• Heart 1