Procrastination

Dottleshead

I had a boss who considered procrastination his number 1 strategy, put it off for a while and it will probably be forgotten.

#2 was perception is everything. When IMMEDIATE action was demanded, he would send a  bunch of us out to make noise; bang shit around, take measurements, walk around and mumble....then  quit. Amazing how many times nothing else was called for. I can picture the conversation..'Did blah blah get done ? Yeah they came out and worked on it. Good. '

eah thet came out and worked on it.       

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Further said:

I had a boss who considered procrastination his number 1 strategy, put it off for a while and it will probably be forgotten.

I have found dragging my feet to be a very effective tool with some "directives" from the top.  What happens is some general or even vague idea is floated, some folks on the team take that as marching orders, and get into a morass of not-ready-for-prime-time efforts.  I wait, and eventually the idea is refined (to a degree that you can actually work towards a goal) or it is dropped/forgotten.  I have enough work to focus on doing well without the need to add "maybes" or "mights" to my list.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

13 hours ago, Further said:

#2 was perception is everything. When IMMEDIATE action was demanded, he would send a  bunch of us out to make noise; bang shit around, take measurements, walk around and mumble....then  quit. Amazing how many times nothing else was called for. I can picture the conversation..'Did blah blah get done ? Yeah they came out and worked on it. Good. '

eah thet came out and worked on it.       

Awesome!  :D

13 hours ago, Further said:

That was the advice given to me by my model for being Wally.  "If they really want it, they'll ask again. :D"  As an enthusiastic young pup, I was apalled at such an attitude. But I managed to adjust. :D

Just now, Square Wheels said:

I'm not sure if it's procrastination, or too much to do.  We often operate on other people's needs.  I NEED IT NOW!!!  If I don't get back to them in a few days, it seems they sometimes forget.  I've found stuff in my inbox years old that I never replied to.  I have been fired (yet).

Up until a few months ago, I thought Inbox Zero sounded like a good idea, but as you can imagine, it was (*&^$ exhausting, not to mention frustrating as it lasted maybe 10 minutes at a crack!  Now I subscribe instead to Unread 0, and my inbox is overflowing with crap like everyone else's in the world.

13 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Up until a few months ago, I thought Inbox Zero sounded like a good idea, but as you can imagine, it was (*&^$ exhausting, not to mention frustrating as it lasted maybe 10 minutes at a crack!  Now I subscribe instead to Unread 0, and my inbox is overflowing with crap like everyone else's in the world.

I'm pretty excited.  I'm under 1200 in my inbox.  Many thousands in my archive.  Our servers dump emails that are over 10 years old.