Will Westerns ever make a comeback?

Road Runner

Who knows?  There may a series of great movie Westerns that come along and the TV powers that be will see it as a sign people will watch Westerns on TV.

We've seen times when it seems like every show is about westerns, variety shows, spies, cops, military, and science fiction, mainly due to copy-cats.  So all we need are a couple good Westerns to start the ball rolling.

I still get a kick out of TV's talking heads saying the George Lopez show was the first one that focused on Hispanic Americans, ignoring the Cisco Kid decades earlier. "Ah Pancho! Ah Cisco!"

• Heart 2

20 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I am glad that musicals are dying, because musicals suck ass.  

They seem to be making a comeback on TV and Broadway still lives on.  Musical "movies" were, for the most part,  a mid-20th century thing.  Likely as live shows got converted to movies.

43 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

They seem to be making a comeback on TV and Broadway still lives on.  Musical "movies" were, for the most part,  a mid-20th century thing.  Likely as live shows got converted to movies.

Broadway musicals are fine, the movies are horrible.  The new Mary Poppins, I wouldn't wipe my ass with it.  And that Lala land crapfest?  Sorry, I am not effeminate, and you have to be to think that was worth anything at all.

I think there was just something about the western that appealed to people back in the 50's and 60's.  The simplicity, the obvious right versus wrong, along with the ability to take action when needed to emphatically and totally correct whatever the situation, gave people a feeling of control in a world where many felt they had no control.  The western scenario was likely very satisfying to many who, living in a scary post-WWII environment, may have felt completely impotent in their ability to control or affect the real dangers that they faced every day in their modern, perceived pre-apocalyptic world.    

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

I think there was just something about the western that appealed to people back in the 50's and 60's.  The simplicity, the obvious right versus wrong, along with the ability to take action when needed to emphatically and totally correct whatever the situation, gave people a feeling of control in a world where many felt they had no control.  The western scenario was likely very satisfying to many who, living in a scary post-WWII environment, may have felt completely impotent in their ability to control or affect the real dangers that they faced every day in their modern, perceived pre-apocalyptic world.    

Replaced by good agent vs terrorists today.

• Awesome 1

5 hours ago, Road Runner said:

That sounds exactly like what unfrozen caveman lawyer might say. Or not. 

Anyway, westerns were big when special effects weren’t.  They were often tales of great adventure that could be cheaply made.  

I loved Louis Lamour books as a kid.  

5 hours ago, Pokey said:

I doubt it. To unPC. Firearms and such.

Unforgiven was good, as was Silverado. Lonesome Dove was a great read, the miniseries was ok. Open Range was good. Enjoyed Broken Trail too.

What about True Grit?  Also, if you haven’t seen “Ballad of Buster Scruggs” yet, you are wong on so many levels.  Very westerny, from injuns to whorin’ to cattle drives to prospecting to hangin’, the only thing missing were people sitting around eating big plates of beans by the campfire.  It was big and sprawling and fun.  

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

That sounds exactly like what unfrozen caveman lawyer might say. Or not. 

Anyway, westerns were big when special effects weren’t.  They were often tales of great adventure that could be cheaply made.  

I lived Louis Lamour books as a kid.  

I love the unfrozen caveman lawyer schtick.  I was just feeling like one in out last group meeting at work when they were yammering on and on aboot schitt I had no knowledge of or interest in.  Sometimes my whole life seems that way.

5 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Slow-Clap-GIF-Image-for-Whatsapp-and-Fac

• Awesome 1