Have you ever been snowed in ?

Further

2 years ago in Portland forecasters said half an inch. Result? 8 inches 

Now Portland doesn't get a lot of snow. Once every couple years. More ice & rain. So there aren't really snowplows. Even ODOT doesn't have many. Out on the Eastern side they are better equipped. So 8" is a lot in Ptown. And no warning. The freeways were absolutely stopped. The local trucks did not carry or put on chains. So some backups were 10-15 miles. 

I took little Scrapr to work downtown. It was beautiful. Hardly anyone out. Snow still falling. Warm & snug in my Volvo. My AWD was actually out in the Volvo. Cost too much to fix so just using FWD. New Volvo was on order. 

We had our fleet in early. Any hint of snow & we pull em in. No way are we out there without chains with all the other idjits. 

• Heart 1

30 minutes ago, Further said:

Where you couldn't get out ?

Once they declared a snow emergency and private cars weren't allowed on the road, other than that I've never been snowed in.

Three feet of snow sure kept us in a few years ago.  It took us several hours to dig the driveway and car out, but then hours more for the various Bobcats, plows, and front loaders to clear the road to the larger road.  Even then, no stores were open.  Probably over a week until the area was semi-regular again, and weeks until the snow piles in parking lots melted.

Nope.. over night in the UP we received about 3 feet on top of whatever was already there.. I shoveled the driveway about 8 feet in, and used snowshoes to walk the 1/4 mile to the camp.. I even shoveled the doorway clear.. must of been a 5 feet drift 

One time in North Carolina (eastern, near Camp Lejeune) had a freak snowstorm and my driveway had 16 inches of snow I had to shovel if I even wanted to get out. Of course, it melted and everything was fine the next day. When I was stationed in England, it was normally a light dusting, and other than black ice didn't impact driving. One year they had a major snow storm that isolated people in rural areas. Even police and emergency vehicles were having a hard time. However, a few service member imported their Ford/Chevy 4WD pickup trucks which had jacked up suspension and fat tires. They volunteered to work with the police and were able to deliver supplies and check on the welfare of individuals in rural areas in their monster truck. Police had big smiles on their face as they were riding with them.

And then there was the military exercise where there was a severe storm, they closed the base and sent everyone one. I got to weather out the sleet, hail and snow in a tent. Next day after breaking camp and the bus back to the base, noted concrete block softball dugout had been leveled, and when on base trees were down everywhere.

Iced in at a hotel in Portland once.  The roads were just sheets of ice.

There have been times when I wouldn't drive because of the snow around here, but I'm sure there were other people who were brave or foolhardy enough to drive in it.

We've sometimes had to wait for the snow plows to run before we ventured out, but we've normally lived on school bus routes, and they are the first roads plowed. When living in Brookings, SD, several of us had to spend the night in Jamestown, ND, when traveling from Mandan, ND, back to Brookings. They closed the roads due to snow and ice.

We get shut down every now and then.  Functionally, the roads have to get cleared before anyone goes anywhere.  That sometimes results in a traffic ban so the state crews have access to the roads without stuck vehicles.

Next you don't go anywhere till you've shoveled out.  My driveway is about 100 ft long and there will be a wall of packed snow at the end deposited by the plows.

Last, not the snow so much, but when the trees start coming down roads can get blocked for days.  That happened here just last year when access to the town on one of the major roads was cut by trees and the power lines they fell on.

Back in the late seventies I was keeping all our roadways and parking lots open between our F-250 with a plow and chains on all four wheels, our diesel tractor with a dozer blade on the front and a snow blower on the back, and an old front loader on a tractor. I came down with the worst case of flue I have ever had. I kept going out and working and the facility director and my wife put their foot down and made me stop and go to bed. We lost our main parking lot with the director and his son trying to cover for me. They ended up calling in a bulldozer from town. We had seven foot drifts in the entrance to the main lot and three to four feet over the rest of the lot.

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Back in the late seventies I was keeping all our roadways and parking lots open between our F-250 with a plow and chains on all four wheels, our diesel tractor with a dozer blade on the front and a snow blower on the back, and an old front loader on a tractor. I came down with the worst case of flue I have ever had. I kept going out and working and the facility director and my wife put their foot down and made me stop and go to bed. We lost our main parking lot with the director and his son trying to cover for me. They ended up calling in a bulldozer from town. We had seven foot drifts in the entrance to the main lot and three to four feet over the rest of the lot.

Was that the blizzard of 78?  Snowfall of 30/40" and drifts of up to 20 feet.  CT was closed by order of the governor.  P&W aircraft stayed open but no one could come to work.  Some of us who were there stayed and performed maintenance.  We slept on sight in the old bomb shelter tunnels and got paid a huge amount of overtime for a couple of 16 hour days.

• Awesome 1

Aside from the 77 blizzard we’ve only been snowed in once for two days. It was 2013 or 14, we got 98 inches of lake effect in 48 hours. 

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

That was the one. I could have handled it if I wasn’t dieing at the time. Our retreat center was on the top of a Pennsylvania mountain in the snow belt.

So you've been Scaatman Caruthers too!  I think you may have the most interesting man title of the forum now!  Unless Goat wants to fight you for it. :D

• Haha 1