Tell us about that time you moved someplace and it was weird and you wondered if you did the right..

Randomguy

...is this about Yulan ?

By far the strangest place I've ever moved in terms of culture shock was LaFollette, TN.

The first morning I took my wife out to breakfast at the LaFollette Cafe, she asked the waitress if they had whole wheat toast. "Honey, all we go is braiiid," was the reply.  I could tell you some stories about three years in the mountains of Eastern TN that would both puzzle and amuse you.  I never did figure out whether it was a good idea, but we ended up in California after that. :)

• Haha 1

I feel that way almost every time I move somewhere (or even if I'm just staying somewhere for a few months), but the feeling goes away pretty quickly and I'm glad I made the move.  Moving is hard because you have to find new friends, new favorite places to go, new stores/doctors etc.  Moving is stressful and it's hard to just to the operational parts of a move - deciding what to pack, how to get stuff there, where you're going to live etc.  But after some time, all the new stuff is familiar and everything isn't as hard as it was at first.   But I usually have a few days of "why did I do this" before I get to the "this is feeling like home" stage.

• Heart 1

53 minutes ago, tybeegb said:

Kind of.  Moved from mid-island to the north end.  About a mile away.  First night in the "new" house we heard what sounded like a wolf howling.  Looked out the window and there was a guy standing where the creek runs under the road down from the house, howling at the full moon.  WofTy did not think it was funny.  

Did you go out and join him?

• Awesome 1

I did a hasty move about an hour and a half away. We rented a house down by the river. The first night when my wife got up in the night she heard pitter patter footsteps in the hallway. She said her dogs name and he came running from the bedroom. Then she called my name and said we needed to find another house. She is not spending another night in a house with river rats.

We needed to get a few groceries and the grocery store had a community bulletin board. We found a farmhouse for rent in our price range and I called the guy. It turned out to be an old friend of mine and we moved in that day. Best move I ever made, we had so much fun living there.

Mine wasn't about the place.  It was about leaving my then 16 year career with the Navy and moving to a different state to open my own business.  To this day, I don't know what possessed me to do it.  I was happy and respected in my career, yet I gave it all up for some stupid idea that made no sense.  Everyone told me it was the wrong thing to do, but I did it anyway.

After a year of that foolishness, I managed to get my old job back.  I had offers from two different divisions, but I chose to just return to my previous position.  Leaving my career for a year had other repercussions that I won't go into.  But let's just say that, all and all, it was the dumbest thing I ever did and I regret it to this day.    

• Sad 1

Never really experienced that. When I was stationed in DC I knew it was temporary and of all the places the Army could have sent me I knew this wasn't a bad place to be.  

I also knew it was never going to be the place I lived long term but I enjoyed my time there. Other than that I have only lived in SoCal and enjoyed every place I have lived here.

18 minutes ago, Chris... said:

Effingham, Illinois from London, England. What was I thinking? 

We really need the back story on this move.  I have a good friend who moved back to England in the late 90s after his family came to Texas in the late 60s from England due to economy.

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Yes, moving from Vancouver to Toronto took me 20 years to accept and feel ok with.  The culture is different and I still consider Vancouver home. :( 

Moving to Calgary a few years ago, from Vancouver. I ask: is it still worth it??  When I go back to visit to Toronto and then return back to Calgary:  same question still asked.  

Some of the long time politics here I dislike a lot.  

Just now, Road Runner said:

Why did jshart ignore my reply and reward Ralph's?   :(

Because jsharrt always liked me best that's why!

I was so excited to reply Effing A that I dashed right past your post.  Also, I was bedazzled by the gorgeous Englich pub directly preceding it, so you can also blame Chris. :D

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

Mine wasn't about the place.  It was about leaving my then 16 year career with the Navy and moving to a different state to open my own business.  To this day, I don't know what possessed me to do it.  I was happy and respected in my career, yet I gave it all up for some stupid idea that made no sense.  Everyone told me it was the wrong thing to do, but I did it anyway.

After a year of that foolishness, I managed to get my old job back.  I had offers from two different divisions, but I chose to just return to my previous position.  Leaving my career for a year had other repercussions that I won't go into.  But let's just say that, all and all, it was the dumbest thing I ever did and I regret it to this day.    

Well, are you just going to leave us hanging? We enjoy hearing about your poor decisions and foolishness.   :nodhead:

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

What are you talking about. I was the weird one. They had to adjust to me.

Probably the weirdest was when I left a college town (Tallahassee) as a long hair hippie type and moved to Jacksonville, NC (Camp Lejeune) and there were all these Marines with buzz cuts around me. The other observation, all these E1, E2, and E3 grunts were slim and fit yet married to notably obese wives.