When I am in a cafe or restaurant

Scrapr

I have to sit with my back to the wall. Able to scan the cafe. I just tried sitting at a window seat (back to the room) and i was very uncomfortable. I had to change. A kid is sitting in my regular seat. So now I am on plan C or maybe D.

However the salt bagel is decent, not great. The barista is the Sunday fill in, the music is techno. 

Today is not off to a tremendous start

• Heart 2

57 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

I have to sit with my back to the wall. Able to scan the cafe. I just tried sitting at a window seat (back to the room) and i was very uncomfortable. I had to change. A kid is sitting in my regular seat. So now I am on plan C or maybe D.

However the salt bagel is decent, not great. The barista is the Sunday fill in, the music is techno. 

Love the techno, would sit anywhere, and I love salt bagels.

Hipsters are interesting.  Can't really figure them out.

1 hour ago, Scrapr said:

I would love a salt bagel. Would mustard go well with that? 

15 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Hipsters are interesting.  Can't really figure them out.

True. There's a coffee shop in a little village in Detroit we stop at for a cappuccino and a treat before heading back. There are usually hipsters in there w/ their weird attire and haircuts. While a friend & I are in kitted up in lycra just trying to have a coffee :wacko: Some people I just don't get :D

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

True. There's a coffee shop in a little village in Detroit we stop at for a cappuccino and a treat before heading back. There are usually hipsters in there w/ their weird attire and haircuts. While a friend & I are in kitted up in lycra just trying to have a coffee :wacko: Some people I just don't get :D

POTM!  Kazoo, make it sew!

• Awesome 1

47 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

You're not the first to want to sit with your back against the wall - though other's have done it for safety.

Wild Bill Hickok always wanted to sit with his back against the wall while gambling in saloons.

On August 2, 1876 - not long after George Armstrong Custer faced his last stand on June 25th - in Nuttal and Mann's saloon in Deadwood, Dakota Territory, Hickok was playing poker but he could not get a seat against the wall.  So, on one of the rare times he wasn't nest to a wall, a man named Jack McCall circled behind Hickok and shouted "Take that!" while shooting him in the back of his head with .45 pistol, killing him instantly.

McCall claimed Hickok had killed his brother and was actually released from police custody. It was discovered he was lying after which he was tracked down and hanged.

According to Wikipedia: "According to a book by Western historian Carl W. Breihan, the cards [Hickok had been holding] were retrieved from the floor by a man named Neil Christy, who then passed them on to his son. The son, in turn, told Mr. Breihan of the composition of the hand. "Here is an exact identity of these cards as told to me by Christy's son: the ace of diamonds with a heel mark on it; the ace of clubs; the two black eights, clubs and spades, and the queen of hearts with a small drop of Hickok's blood on it."

Ever since, two aces and two eights have been called the "Dead Man's Hand," though usually the most common definition is two black aces and two black eights.  According to the book, though, there was only one black ace.  Of course, we don't know how accurate the book is.

My Dad and me, after having a beer in the "No. 10 Saloon" - what Nuttal and Hall's was renamed, at Hickok's and Calamity Jane's graves, high on a hill above Deadwood, SD, July, 1991.  I have to dig through some boxes and find the original.  I think it's in color and I scanned this with a black-and-white hand scanner back in the early '90's:

630751311_DADMICK1900x577p.jpg.4a650a3d4955bae3dd5864818e4788df.jpg

• Heart 1

I prefer to see the room as well. As much to see and say hi to people I know as self preservation. 

I slept later than WoW this morning. Almost never happens! We were low on milk for mochas so she went to the grocery. Picked up donuts and the coffee shop in the grocery had a morning special on mochas! I may have to sleep in more often!