Mt. Washington Century

Square Wheels

16 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

YAY!  Add a "cycling related" tag ASAP!!

Yes sir.

16 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

What is the time & relationship to the Climb?  I find that a hard one to justify the drive and days away to do.  Are both the same weekend or different dates?

Century = 7/27/19
Climb = 8/17/19

You'd have to be a real beast to do both on the same weekend.  I'd never have time to train for that.  The day after the century I am usually perfectly fine, but I would not have the energy to do the climb.

I did the climb once.  Unless I retire now and have lots of money and time to train, my one ride up will likely be the only one.  I'm OK with that.

I've ridden that area, it looks like it starts in Conway and goes to Pinkham Notch? That's one tough climb. You can stop at the Notch and get water or a snack. The ride down to Gorham is a lot of fun. I tried to keep up with some Harley riders once. I couldn't quite get there, but I had fun watching them ignore me. Stop a sec at Bear Notch, the view isn't the best, but it's a mellow place.

4 minutes ago, late said:

I've ridden that area, it looks like it starts in Conway and goes to Pinkham Notch? That's one tough climb. You can stop at the Notch and get water or a snack. The ride down to Gorham is a lot of fun. I tried to keep up with some Harley riders once. I couldn't quite get there, but I had fun watching them ignore me. Stop a sec at Bear Notch, the view isn't the best, but it's a mellow place.

Bear notch is the first, and easiest climb.  None are really that hard, Crawford is the hardest.  There's a sustained 12 - 14% section, plus a long ride up to it of 3 - 4 % just to psych you out.  It's just under 109 miles with about 6000 feet of climbing.  It has a lot of really pretty scenery. 

• Whatever 1

5 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Any wanna ride it with me?  It's a beautiful, relaxing day.

I may try and talk WoZack into doing it. I was in Bartlett for a training last fall and it looks like a great ride.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Any wanna ride it with me?  It's a beautiful, relaxing day.

We’re in. When does registration open?

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, Zackny said:

We’re in. When does registration open?

Not sure.  The only reason I know the date is we know the organizer.  We talked him into doing a timed section this year.  I suggested on the easiest climb, he did it on the hardest.

There is no pressure at all to register.  It will never sell out.  Not even sure they have a limit.

You'll like it.  Very well supported.  5 stops.  Lot's of people driving around in cars / trucks.  Cookout at the end.

I know the two of you are fit, and living in NY you probably ride hills.  All of the hills are very doable, then end is brutal, but short.

My best time yet: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2887539105  6:31 moving time.

That last downhill is awesome, it feels like it goes on forever.

Garmin Connect.png

5 minutes ago, smudge said:

Seriously?? That's cool!!

You in?

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Not sure.  The only reason I know the date is we know the organizer.  We talked him into doing a timed section this year.  I suggested on the easiest climb, he did it on the hardest.

There is no pressure at all to register.  It will never sell out.  Not even sure they have a limit.

You'll like it.  Very well supported.  5 stops.  Lot's of people driving around in cars / trucks.  Cookout at the end.

I know the two of you are fit, and living in NY you probably ride hills.  All of the hills are very doable, then end is brutal, but short.

My best time yet: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2887539105  6:31 moving time.

That last downhill is awesome, it feels like it goes on forever.

Garmin Connect.png

You in?

Looking  forward to it. We’ll make a 3-4 day trip out of it.

37 minutes ago, Zackny said:

Looking  forward to it. We’ll make a 3-4 day trip out of it.

If you're looking to stay nearby and somewhere quiet, we stay at Snowflake in.  Very nice.  If you call and book directly with them they have stay 2 night 3rd night free.  You don't get that if you book online.  The Wentworth is across the street, a little nicer, but a lot more money.

39 minutes ago, smudge said:

I should, shouldn't I. :)

Yes

The North Conway Grand is half the price of the Snowflake Inn, and it's an ok place. We stayed there twice, once when we were bike touring.

From there, if you head towards Conway (not North Conway) you will see Beas Cafe, decent place for a breakfast.