My Spanish Sucks!

Razors Edge

In 8th Grade at Saint Rose of Lima Elementary School, we only had one choice of foreign language. There was a nun from Quebec on the staff, Sister Dolorice, so we learned French.

In high school, I stayed with French but it bothered me when friends would point out that more of the world speaks Spanish and I'd probably use it more than French later in life.

Then I went to college and learned, in the late 60's and early 70's, that certified chemists were required to pass a fluency test in one of three languages: French, German, or Russian.  NOT Spanish!

Back then, there weren't computer translators easily available and the American Chemical Society wanted a pool of American chemists who could translate the major foreign journals and they were in those three languages.

What luck!  I had wanted to be a chemist since age 12 but had no clue about how French was involved, and a French-speaking nun turns up at our elementary school!

I only needed two semesters of college French, French 201 and 202, to be considered fluent!  The world's greater use of Spanish didn't bother me anymore!  And later it was so cool to visit France and speak French - they love you there when you don't insist on speaking English!