The Passenger Pigeons

Road Runner

From Scientific American:

"John James Audubon knew birds. As part of what he called his “frenzy” for avians, the French-American naturalist attempted to survey and document in drawings all the native bird species of North America. And it is Audubon who in 1833 identified the passenger pigeon, Ectopistes migratorius, as the most numerous bird on the continent, highlighting the point by describing a mile-wide flock of migrating pigeons that passed over his head and blocked the sun for three straight days.

In fact, the passenger pigeon in the early 1800s may have been the most numerous bird in the world, with an estimated population of at least three billion birds—or at least a third as much as the total population of all kinds of birds in North America today. Yet, by 1900, none survived in the wild, and on September 1, 1914, the very last one, named Martha, was found dead on the floor of her cage in the Cincinnati Zoo. The species had gone from extraordinarily populous to extinct in a single human life span."

• Sad 1

Thanks all the Passenger Pigeons info!

I remember seeing a photo of Martha, the last one which died in 1914, when I was a kid in the 1950's.

I just read the Audubon article: https://www.audubon.org/magazine/may-june-2014/why-passenger-pigeon-went-extinct

I also learned from Google that: Its common name is derived from the French word passager, meaning "passing by."

• Heart 1

You guys make me sick.   :(

https://squarewheelscycling.com/index.php?/topic/67637-interesting-but-obscure-facts/&tab=comments#comment-610942

I shared MANY threads on my love for Martha at LF but unfortunately I can no longer prove this for obvious reasons. 

You two weasels have really upset me now.  

• Envious 1