Church was canceled do to weather.... so

Digital_photog

5 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Your dogs are insane.

What happens if you don't run them? 

They go insane.  They need the exercise and love the cold.  This morning we went out and instead of being in his nice warm dog house with fresh straw Haku was laying in the snow at -11 degrees and looking very happy.  A little rain and he will hide in the house.  Snow and he will stay out in it till all you can see is a big snow lump.

58 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Boots or no boots?

We have boots but seldom need to use them on the Siberian Huskies. They don't like them.  If you have fresh sharp icy snow you may need them. Grooming the trail helps a lot.  Also Mushers Secret. foot cream or zinc oxide is often all you need if you aren't running the long distance races.  Also keeping the hair between the toes trimmed so the ice doesn't build up in it helps a lot.  I avoid boots if we don't need them  They wear out fast, are expensive, take a lot of time to put on, can't put them on with gloves on.

Some of the other breeds need boots much quicker than the Sibes.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

Wow!  That looks like so much fun! Thanks for sharing it!

I've thought about wearing roller skates while walking 80 lb Goldendoodle Jake so I could move that fast, but if a deer pops out of the woods ahead of us and he chases it, I'm doomed.

My sleds are about 30 lbs.  In the video above with only 2 dogs we were over 15 mph part of the time.   Even 2 dogs can be a hand full if they decide to go off after a deer, squirrel or rabbit.  Think how hard it can be with a team of 12 to 16 like used in the 1000 mile races.  Another sport that I haven't had the courage to do is skijoring.  That is one or 2 dogs pulling you on cross country skis.   I have seen some hard crashes in that sport. At least on a sled bike or rig I have brakes even though with a big team they don't do a lot to stop them.  I don't like to run even 4 dogs till they are pretty well trained.  I will mix in one or 2 new ones in a team but if I'm running dogs with little or no experience I will run with 1 or 2.  Many do use mountain bikes for  bikejoring but I like the grip with the big tires on the fat bike.  It may slow me down a little on a good trail  but not enough that I really care. It seems to me that being busted up in the hospital would take the fun out of it.

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Wow!  That looks like so much fun! Thanks for sharing it!

I've thought about wearing roller skates while walking 80 lb Goldendoodle Jake so I could move that fast, but if a deer pops out of the woods ahead of us and he chases it, I'm doomed.

Mick, do this with 2 or 3 dogs.  See if you survive.  ?

10 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

It seems to me that being busted up in the hospital would take the fun out of it

I have noticed that myself about cycling.

7 hours ago, Further said:

We have a new law here in Pa. when it is 'cold' outside you are only allowed to have your dog outside for half an hour. Not really sure what temp the 'cold' starts

Is that a state law or a city law? It sounds like a city slicker law, they don’t want their ankle biters to freeze. Does that law include coyotes? Out here there are outside dogs everywhere. Does a doghouse count as inside? How do you make your dog go in it every half hour? I should dig up my picture of Tazz when I tried to get him to come inside during a big snowstorm. Classic stink eye. I let him stay out till my wife got home.