I made some really good burgers yesterday

jsharr

10 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Wade had a friend over, Martha was out to a show and we were hungry, so I made burgers.

Started with 1.5 lbs of lean ground beef, added one beaten egg, Worchestershire sauce, 2 cloves of minced garlic, cracked black pepper, kosher salt and since we were out of bread crumbs, I tossed some Texas toast garlic croutons in the food processor and made bread crumbs.

Mixed by hand and then formed into 4 patties.  

Tossed them on a hot grill and let them cook, flipped after a few minutes and let them cook again.  Flipped one last time then added American cheese and let it melt while the buns sat on the top rack of the grill getting warm.

I ate mine with diced onions, yellow mustard and dill pickle slices.

It was one of the best burgers I have had in a long time. 

I liked this because you enjoyed yourself, even though you made meatloaf on the grill instead of burgers.  I love meatloaf, though, so you can make me meatloaf burgers anytime!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I liked this because you enjoyed yourself, even though you made meatloaf on the grill instead of burgers.  I love meatloaf, though, so you can make me meatloaf burgers anytime!

You need to go have some scrambled turkey eggs and pig milk.

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, jsharr said:

You need to go have some scrambled turkey eggs and pig milk.

You sir are a charlatan!  I bet you overcooked your meatloaf, too.

Can I come over and eat a meatloaf burger anyway?  I will steal beverages from the secret Zima laboratories housed in the badlands below the pig milking pits.

I really would like to have some turkey eggs now, strangely enough.  I feel there is a market.

14 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

FAIL - pinewood derby stuff?  That was not in your report.  Now how are we ever to believe anything you say?

Au contraire mon frere.  charge your reading aid and go back to my semi productive thread.  you will feel more doltish than usual if you do.

4 hours ago, jsharr said:

Wade had a friend over, Martha was out to a show and we were hungry, so I made burgers.

Started with 1.5 lbs of lean ground beef, added one beaten egg, Worchestershire sauce, 2 cloves of minced garlic, cracked black pepper, kosher salt and since we were out of bread crumbs, I tossed some Texas toast garlic croutons in the food processor and made bread crumbs.

Mixed by hand and then formed into 4 patties.  

Tossed them on a hot grill and let them cook, flipped after a few minutes and let them cook again.  Flipped one last time then added American cheese and let it melt while the buns sat on the top rack of the grill getting warm.

I ate mine with diced onions, yellow mustard and dill pickle slices.

It was one of the best burgers I have had in a long time. 

Great recipe - I cut and pasted it into a .doc file and added it to the Beef folder in my Recipes Master Folder.

I created the recipe below, wanting juicier burgers and then being inspired by "America's Test Kitchen" on PBS explaining that a "panade" is a mixture of diced or mashed bread and milk that is added to ground beef, etc. and it creates a sort of water bubble that keeps the moisture from evaporating from the meat.  It always comes out nice and juicy.

I posted it here: https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/mick-s-juicy-tender-seasoned-hamburger-382367

Mick’s Juicy Tender Seasoned Hamburger

This recipe begins with a “panade” – a mixture of crumbled bread and milk – that keeps the beef moist and tender, even when well-done, by interfering with beef proteins that would otherwise link together and toughen the meat when cooked.  This trick was explained on America’s Test Kitchen in the Season 8 Episode “Drive In Specials” and it works very well!

I try to avoid too many spices in any one recipe because I don’t want to mask the flavors present.  If you’d like to try spicing it up, feel free to try others.  Some recipes concentrate on soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, etc. to give it a Chinese cuisine flavor.  Others use Greek, Mexican, etc. accents.  Beginning with the first four ingredients insures it will be juicy, tender, and hold together even when well cooked.

Don’t go overboard on the liquid ingredients or the mix will become too wet.

This makes 5 quarter-pound sized burgers or 4 very large burgers.

Ingredient

1 lb ground beef (lean works fine for me)

2 slices of bread, diced into 1/4” square pieces (or equivalent breadcrumbs or crackers)

4 tablespoons of milk (4 tbsp =1/4 cup, use any %, but real milk)

1 egg

2 tsp dry Italian seasoning (or 1 tsp dry oregano, 1 tsp dry thyme)

2 tsp garlic powder (or 1 tbsp finely minced garlic)

1 tbsp onion flakes (or 2 tsp onion powder)

2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (or 2 tbsp ketchup or steak sauce)

1 tsp ground black pepper

1 tsp salt

Optional: 1 tsp Cajun seasoning

Optional: pinch of cayenne pepper

Procedure

1. Dice the bread into ¼” squares and place in a mixing bowl large enough to handle all the ingredients.  Sprinkle the milk on them to moisten, and mix by hand to coat all the bread with milk.

2. Break up the ground beef into small pieces and add to the mixing bowl along with all the other ingredients, making a depression in the mixture for the egg and scrambling it a little bit by hand before mixing it all together.  Mix gently by hand until all materials are roughly evenly distributed, about a minute or two

3. Form the mixture into four or five round or square patties.  The center of each patty should be slightly thinner than the outsides since it will fatten on cooking.  Place them in a lightly oiled frying pan and press down on the middle to form the desired depression.

4. Heat on a low or medium-low flame until each side is browned, about 4 minutes each side.  Add cheese the last minute if a cheeseburger is desired.

• Heart 1