Star Wars

TrentonMakes

I saw Star Wars, Empire and Return of the Jedi each once, back in the day - probably on rented VHS tapes.  Hadn't seen them since, and I never saw any of the subsequent movies.

I guess I never felt the compulsion, but the kids wanted to see what the fuss was about, so we've been watching movies.  We saw these first three movies (which I guess are now called Episodes IV, V and VI) - much of them didn't look familiar to me at all.  Still pretty entertaining; I enjoyed the dark ending of Empire especially.

Then we saw Episodes I-III, with Jar Jar and young Anakin and the lovely Ms. Portman and those story lines.  We watched III, Revenge of the Sith, on Saturday night - incredibly intense and disturbing.  That was a great flippin' movie, probably my favorite so far.

I guess there are a couple more "back story" movies and the kids are deciding whether we'll see those next, or Episodes 7 and 8.   I guess 9, the last one, is due in December.

I can't really get on board with the cultural phenomenon that is Star Wars, but they're a bunch of entertaining movies nonetheless.  And a couple more more gaping holes in my movie history are addressed.

35 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

I saw Star Wars, Empire and Return of the Jedi each once, back in the day - probably on rented VHS tapes.  Hadn't seen them since, and I never saw any of the subsequent movies.

I guess I never felt the compulsion, but the kids wanted to see what the fuss was about, so we've been watching movies.  We saw these first three movies (which I guess are now called Episodes IV, V and VI) - much of them didn't look familiar to me at all.  Still pretty entertaining; I enjoyed the dark ending of Empire especially.

Then we saw Episodes I-III, with Jar Jar and young Anakin and the lovely Ms. Portman and those story lines.  We watched III, Revenge of the Sith, on Saturday night - incredibly intense and disturbing.  That was a great flippin' movie, probably my favorite so far.

I guess there are a couple more "back story" movies and the kids are deciding whether we'll see those next, or Episodes 7 and 8.   I guess 9, the last one, is due in December.

I can't really get on board with the cultural phenomenon that is Star Wars, but they're a bunch of entertaining movies nonetheless.  And a couple more more gaping holes in my movie history are addressed.

I appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

- Kate Smith

8 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I saw the original 3, and bits and pieces of the others.  I guess I'll have to watch them so I know the whole story!

I have watched enough of them to understand the plot and the story line is good.  Agree  with @TrentonMakes that Revenge of The Sith is the best of the prequels and sets the stage for #4 which for most is #1.   

• Heart 1

I saw the last one knowing Carrie Fisher had passed. I thought the movie was ok. I hate that character of her kid (I don't even know his name). 

Then I saw that movie again maybe a couple weeks later. The scene near the end of the movie with Luke and her made me cry a bit when I watched it the second time. During the credits they mention her; that was when I just bawled!! I don't know why!!??!! It just hit me super hard. But only when I saw it the second time. Weird!

I've seen them all 1-8, and the Rogue One & Han Solo ones. I liked them all - some more than others. I fully re-watch the originals and the prequels periodically, but generally just see them in smaller chunks when they pop up on TV.  I love to watch them but not enough to give a rat's ass if I am watching an original or a reworked version.  I still don't know what the fuss was about the Jabba the Hut stuff in the first movie.

Anyway, from a sci-fi movie series perspective, there isn't much that even comes close.  The story arcs of other series often don't "click" fully or even remotely.  Star Trek has struggled with that. Alien as well. Riddick maybe? Back to the Future series was fun.  I had high hopes for the Ender universe, but I think that ain't happening. :(

In other words, Star Wars is about as good as it gets in sci-fi movie series.

• Heart 1

I’ve seen them all. I view them as the next generation of Flash Gordon Saturday serial movies. I enjoyed the original trilogy the most. However, I think Rogue One is the best of the whole Star Wars family. The latest trilogy has its moments, but Episode 9 has a lot of work to do to make the set work. 

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Star Wars is about as good as it gets in sci-fi movie series.

WRONG!  Star wars is not sci-fi, it is fantasy.  At some point early on when writing the first script on a discarded tampon, it had a hint of it I am sure, but when the writers confuse a measure of distance for a measure of time and nobody bothers correcting it, and the driving element is something called "the force", you are not talking about science in any way.  

Not science fiction.  Just keeping it real here.

8 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

WRONG!  Star wars is not sci-fi, it is fantasy.  At some point early on when writing the first script on a discarded tampon, it had a hint of it I am sure, but when the writers confuse a measure of distance for a measure of time and nobody bothers correcting it, and the driving element is something called "the force", you are not talking about science in any way.   

Not science fiction.  Just keeping it real here.

You should know they are certainly not mutually exclusive. Duh.