How many people from your high school will be playing in the Super Bowl this year?

jsharr

My high school never had a football team. When I went to HS, there was only basketball, football, and shooting. Seeing a classmate walking down the hall with a gun was normal.

Oh! Those sports were only for the guys. Gals could be cheerleaders.

Today they've added many sports especially for the gals, but still no football.

5 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

My high school never had a football team. When I went to HS, there wa s only basketball, football,and shooting. Seeing a classmate walking down the hall with a gun was normal.

Oh! Those sports were only for the guys. Gals could be cheerleaders.

Today they've added many sports especially for the gals, but still no football.

Can you mansplain this to me?

certainly none.  I think the only person who has ever come close is a guy named Brian Holloway, who played on the Patriots team that was crushed by the Bears in the '85/'86 Super Bowl.  Holloway did not attend my high school, but he had a home in the district (which made news a few years ago when some kids broke in and partied, trashing the place). 

Apparently his son did attend my HS, which I did not know until just now (to the best of my knowledge the school has never fielded a football team).  My school district covered three entire towns and parts of two others.... I graduated in a class of 50.

59 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Rex Burkhead, Patriots running back and Joseph Noteboom, Rams Offensive Tackle are both Plano Wildcats.    

Well Noteboom will be there for the Rams but I sure hope he won't be playing...  Seems like a solid lineman and will probably be a starter soon with a aging Rams O line.

• Sad 1

When my son was in high school, he played defensive back during his senior year.  His team played another private school from Charlottesville, VA.  They had a player on their team named Chris Long.  His father attended the game and stood near the sidelines watching and being watched.  I walked past him several times just to gawk and he stared back at me.  We made a connection, I am sure.  :)   He played a little football himself many years ago and now is a commentator for Fox Sports.  

• Heart 1

None that I know of but I lost touch with a lot of happening from there when I moved to Michigan.  

I had a HS teammate that was all MAC conference from Kent State that was involved in the Tony Dorsett pick trade from the Seahawks.  He was last day cuts with Dallas, last day cuts with the Pats the follow year and actually made the opening day roster with the Browns the follow year but never made the field before they traded for Lyle Alzado form the Raiders and Rick was cut for the last time.  In HS I was a scrawny tight end and Rick was an offensive tackle.  He saved my butt more than once.  On defense Rick and I were both defensive ends.  I saw a lot of action since he was not someone the opponents typically wanted to challenge.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

12 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

When my son was in high school, he played defensive back during his senior year.  His team played another private school from Charlottesville, VA.  They had a player on their team named Chris Long.  His father attended the game and stood near the sidelines watching and being watched.  I walked past him several times just to gawk and he stared back at me.  We made a connection, I am sure.  :)   He played a little football himself many years ago and now is a commentator for Fox Sports.  

If Howie Long is on the TV my wife will remind me that they both attended Villanova (though not at the same time).

• Heart 1

My high school and another high school were merged at the end of the 1980's. The mascots of the schools were the Bees and the Archers. Alumni from both schools hoped the kids at the combined school would pick Bears for their mascot - using the BE from Bees and the AR from Archers.  But they voted, foolishly in terms of alumni financial support but maybe wisely in terms of asserting their uniqueness, to be the Knights.

So I don't know if any from the new high school are in the game, but since the last grads of my high school are close to 50, we've got none!

Considering out 50 yr reunion is coming up, doubt if anyone on the football team will be playing in this year's Super Bowl. Couple that with the quarterback and another player landed scholarships to that football bastion...Austin Peay, don't think any played  in the NFL.

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

Yup. The 60s were a different time. When I tell people that my high school had a rifle range, they look at me like I'm from Mars, and not the town in Pennsylvania either.

I'm jealous, we had to go to a range. Plus, it wasn't until the local Jr College that I competed on the Marksmanship Club.. I was also quiet about that in the military as they told me I had to go to marksmanship training. Typically, officers only go for pistol but I told the airman in the 1st Sgt's office doing the scheduling it had been a while and asked if could get back in the groove by going to rifle first. He made it happen and got expert marksman in both rifle and pistol.

Still remember the pistol trainer as I am putting nickel size groups at 10:00 going, "Damn, get those sights dialed in and you would be dangerous." ?

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Tizeye said:

I'm jealous, we had to go to a range. Plus, it wasn't until the local Jr College that I competed on the Marksmanship Club.. I was also quiet about that in the military as they told me I had to go to marksmanship training. Typically, officers only go for pistol but I told the airman in the 1st Sgt's office doing the scheduling it had been a while and asked if could get back in the groove by going to rifle first. He made it happen and got expert marksman in both rifle and pistol.

Still remember the pistol trainer as I am putting nickel size groups at 10:00 going, "Damn, get those sights dialed in and you would be dangerous." ?

Our rifles were just barely qualified to be called guns. WW1 era FNs that had been rechambered to fire 22s. Bolt action with no clip, so essentially single shot.

The range was upstairs from the corridor in the new addition. I was never a serious contender for any marksmanship awards.