turning upside a tad

shootingstar

Today in midst of a major project to test software that will affect whole organization.. so abit short-staffed today:

*1 person off ...we're on a compressed day off

*1 employee off on vacation in Philippines 

*1 employee off...her mother is dying of cancer and in hospice care

*1 employee suddenly flying down to Arizona where mother had sudden medical emergency  (this is not typical for Canadians. They like to avoid U.S. hospitals even if they have some insurance.)

*1 manager off --on a compressed day off

Left 4 employees in dept.. of which 1 had to work  on another floor at the receiving end. 

10 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Well if you worked in the private sector all day off requests would have been denied!  Mothers dying, damn sucks now get to work!

Kidding of course but does being short staffed impact the delivery date or is the expectation the same?

Expectation is the same in delivery date. The vacations were approved months in advance.  1 colleague was granted vacation for a few days next month..which really cheesed me off since she is my testing lab buddy for a few days overseeing a bunch of business testers. The pace which we have to work during this project is the same as in private sector (I've worked in some big private sector firms) except we aren't allowed to stay overnight to sleep after overtime.  (which I know did happen for a bank chain with their software platform change).

There's a great deal riding and risk on this software upgrade since some dept.'s have external public/citizens use parts of the software (but they don't know it), plus multiple, different other software applications integrated with ours.