One Dallas Cowboy is doing well this postseason

TrentonMakes

I would not have expected it but I really enjoy listening to Tony Romo doing color commentary for a game.  He knows the game and I really like his boyish enthusiasm, along the lines of say Dick Vitale (though less manic).  I noticed a couple times he correctly predicted the upcoming play in Sunday's AFC game (though perhaps that was a blind squirrel/acorn thing).

I suspect he'll be in the booth for the Super Bowl, also on CBS?

• Heart 1

43 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

I would not have expected it but I really enjoy listening to Tony Romo doing color commentary for a game.  He knows the game and I really like his boyish enthusiasm, along the lines of say Dick Vitale (though less manic).  I noticed a couple times he correctly predicted the upcoming play in Sunday's AFC game (though perhaps that was a blind squirrel/acorn thing).

I suspect he'll be in the booth for the Super Bowl, also on CBS?

I agree. Didn't realize it was him at first and was interested in his comments between each play on what he thought were good play options or when was a good time to call a time out, etc..  Definitely a good addition to the team.

• Heart 1

I remember one play in Sunday's game where, as the players were lining up before the snap, Romo predicted Gronk's route and Brady's pass, and it happened just as he said!  I've never seen anyone on TV do that before.  I'm not a football expert, but it impressed the hell out of me.  

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I remember one play in Sunday's game where, as the players were lining up before the snap, Romo predicted Gronk's route and Brady's pass, and it happened just as he said!  I've never seen anyone on TV do that before.  I'm not a football expert, but it impressed the hell out of me.  

Yeah, pretty sure that caught my attention - he called a pass up the middle to Edelman and five seconds later that's what happened.  I'm pretty sure the same play was successful in a similar situation a few downs earlier, and maybe that's an elementary call for a scholar of the game, which I am not.  Clearly he loves a good close football game, as we all do.

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

You will notice that they do not let Tony do the more technical stuff, like handing off to the studio or passing it down to the reporters on the field.    They are afraid he will either fumble, get intercepted or worse, sacked and break a collar bone.

It would be funny if he showed up in the broadcast booth in full pads, though I guess that might only help with the collar bone thing..

• Haha 1

You could get an all former Cowboys team together.  Troy Aikman would be the lead.  Tony Romo could do color, Jason Witten, Michael Irvin and Deion Sanders could be the sideline, human interest, half time and post game commentary guys.  Jimmy Johnson could be the director and we would have to find a job for Daryl Moose Johnston.  Am I missing anyone?  Barry Switzer could be the drunk Joe Namath trying to kiss Erin Andrews.

• Heart 1

47 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Once in a while I would like him to talk less but his analysis is as good as it gets

I'm sure he will get better at knowing when to talk and when to be quiet.  He is just a rookie at this announcing thing.  But I hope he keeps the enthusiasm up.  I'd much rather he remained excited and talkative than become just another average color commentator.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

Yeah, he’s good. I also like the wide camera view from above and behind the QB that they have been using more of. It makes you appreciate how good these guys are, how quickly they have to make decisions and how narrow their opportunities are, both in time and space.

• Heart 3

8 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I'm sure he will get better at knowing when to talk and when to be quiet.  He is just a rookie at this announcing thing.  But I hope he keeps the enthusiasm up.  I'd much rather he remained excited and talkative than become just another average color commentator.

Agreed.  I'm not as hard on commentators as some are.  I hear people complain about announcers and think "What did I miss?"  I tune in for the game.  It's hard for an announcer to ruin it for me.  I like Tony's insight and he's not afraid to talk about some for the nuances of the game.

• Heart 2

I'm not a Romo fan, but I have really enjoyed his commentary. I think it's his enthusiasm that I like. And I like that he's talking football, not stupid stats from 10 years ago or some stupid tabloid story or whatever. It's all about the field general in him. I like it.

I would just like to know why the opposing team can't see this stuff as obviously as Tony can. WTH, Chiefs???!!!

qbzelnfuupyw4pdpqcdm.jpg

ATLANTA—Admitting that relying on the skill set was fairly obvious in hindsight, CBS commentator Tony Romo realized Friday that he probably should have used his ability to read defenses back when he was still playing. “Aw, jeez, you know, being able to determine whether the secondary was staying in man or dropping into zone would have been super helpful back when I was under center,” said Romo, who acknowledged for the first time that his aptitude for identifying blitz packages and dissecting coverage schemes would likely have improved his play at quarterback. “Honestly, it’s kind of a shame I didn’t take the things I learned from watching all those hours of tape and apply them to the actual games—because it turns out, knowing exactly what the other team is going to do is a pretty big advantage. Gosh, I probably could have even avoided a bunch of those sacks and injuries that forced me into early retirement.” Romo added that in retrospect, it easily could have been him catching Patriots cornerback Jason McCourty without safety help over-the-top on the second play from scrimmage next week.

• Haha 3

On 1/22/2019 at 11:21 AM, Prophet Zacharia said:

Yeah, he’s good. I also like the wide camera view from above and behind the QB that they have been using more of. It makes you appreciate how good these guys are, how quickly they have to make decisions and how narrow their opportunities are, both in time and space.

It makes me appreciate how hard it is to throw even a basic pass  out to the flat.  Pretty amazing to watch NFL QB's get it done.  Even the below average NFL QB is really, really good.  

On 1/22/2019 at 11:21 AM, Prophet Zacharia said:

I thought this was funny.  And it kinda highlights how good these guys are.  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1