Why do pole dancers dance with poles?

Randomguy

Fitness is a large part of sexual attraction. Gymnastics (it's not really dancing) on a pole puts sexual fitness on display without reservation. And it does it in a small space, which is important if you're a club owner.

9 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I have heard it had to do with vaudeville and tent shows in the 20s and 30s.  Dancing girls in the tent would use the pole as part of the routine.    Moved into the strip clubs and now it is part of our culture.

I've never seen a pole dancer at work.  I've seen bar top dancers but back in the day our strippers had tassels, not poles.  The height of the art was getting the tassels to spin in opposite directions.

• Awesome 1

Just now, maddmaxx said:

I've never seen a pole dancer at work.  I've seen bar top dancers but back in the day our strippers had tassels, not poles.  The height of the art was getting the tassels to spin in opposite directions.

Every breast establishment in Dallas had them back in my "club" days.   When I got married, promised my wife I would never go to a strip club again after my bachelor party.  I have kept that promise.