Would you take overtime pay or lieu vacation time?

shootingstar

So if you worked overtime and IF (I know some of you never had employers who compensated for overtime) you had a choice to be paid or take lieu vacation time, which one would appeal the most long term for you?  I'm not talking about working 7 hrs. overtime.  More like 15-20  hrs.  Would your choice be influenced by your present financial situation?

4 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

So if you worked overtime and IF (I know some of you never had employers who compensated for overtime) you had a choice to be paid or take lieu vacation time, which one would appeal the most long term for you?  I'm not talking about working 7 hrs. overtime.  More like 15-20  hrs.  Would your choice be influenced by your present financial situation? 

How easy is it to get say three weeks off in a row? If not easy, just give me the cash :(

I would take the cash depending on if my work hours also gain vacation time. 
I have been on the road for months at a time without a day off. I LOVED the pay I got in overtime and it bought me a lot of cool new toys whenever I wanted them without really having to save up for them.. The more hours I worked the greater time I received towards vacation time when needed. 

Just now, Further said:

I like free time and I like money, so it would depend which I needed more at the time. I don't understand guys that turndown or bitch about overtime, then bitch about being broke.

As opposed to the folks who bitch about everything else?  Bitching is EASIER than just about anything.

At various times in my life, I'd have preferred the money, and at other times, the time.  The problem with taking time is that I often have to cover my work anyway, so time off isn't as relaxing as it might seem.

• Heart 1

I took the pay last year ...and after tax /benefit deductions, it worked out to only $350.00 or something like that, more money.  :( So  next time, if I'm working 15-20 hrs. overtime, I'm gonna take the time as time off to de-stress and do stuff with dearie.  I know...some people avoid their partners.  I'm the opposite at this time.  

Right now, I'm losing sleep in large hunks that I never did before.

Keep in mind, this is the first job where I was even allowed to claim overtime.  For all other public sector employers (I've worked 3 other ones), I didn't bother asking.... I knew the budget wasn't there.  Besides I was in learning mode, willing to make that extra time to advance my career.  Private sector was not option to be compensated...unless there was a token performance bonus for only 1 employer out of several.

9 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I took the pay last year ...and after tax /benefit deductions, it worked out to only $350.00 or something like that, more money.  :( So  next time, if I'm working 15-20 hrs. overtime, I'm gonna take the time as time off to de-stress and do stuff with dearie.  I know...some people avoid their partners.  I'm the opposite at this time.  

Right now, I'm losing sleep in large hunks that I never did before.

Keep in mind, this is the first job where I was even allowed to claim overtime.  For all other public sector employers (I've worked 3 other ones), I didn't bother asking.... I knew the budget wasn't there.  Besides I was in learning mode, willing to make that extra time to advance my career.  Private sector was not option to be compensated...unless there was a token performance bonus for only 1 employer out of several.

California labor codes are some of the most employee friendly in the nation.  If your employer knew you were working without compensation whether they approved it or not and you later filed a grievance, the employer would be subject to back wages and stiff penalties.

We would see that often. No worries boss, I'll just stay over and finish this you don't need to pay me.  2 years later you discipline the person and 2 years one week later you are getting a notice from the state for unpaid wage claim...

11 hours ago, Kirby said:

At various times in my life, I'd have preferred the money, and at other times, the time.  The problem with taking time is that I often have to cover my work anyway, so time off isn't as relaxing as it might seem.

This is my sister in law. She never takes a very big percentage of the vacation she is supposed to get. Nobody else knows how to do her job so it waits for her when she gets back. She has been telling her boss that he needs to hire someone and get them trained but it hasn’t happened. She is retiring next year, I wonder how that will go?

Apparently I was so 'impotent' at my previous job, there was never a good time for me to take more then a day or two off at a time. But I had three weeks of vacation time. So they would write me a check for all three weeks, I'd take a few unpaid three day weekends, and I banked the vacation pay.  

There were times in my life when finances called for working 6-7 days/week if I could get it scheduled with my employer.

When I was almost 19, in the summer of '69 after my first year of college when the min. wage in Maryland was $1.25, I had to save up to pay for the next year's tuition and work a $3.07/hr ($21/hr in today's $) full-time, 40 hrs. Mon-Fri job at a shipyard and then worked 26 hrs at a fast-food restaurant for $2.10/hr ($14.40/hr in today's $): 5 hrs on Mon. and Wed. and 8 hrs on Sat. and Sun.  Of course, I had youth on my side then!

After college, I probably would have taken vacation over overtime because I was financially ok, but I never had a job that paid overtime, just ones that required 60-90 hrs/week of work as a research chemist then a teacher.

9 hours ago, ChrisL said:

California labor codes are some of the most employee friendly in the nation.  If your employer knew you were working without compensation whether they approved it or not and you later filed a grievance, the employer would be subject to back wages and stiff penalties.

We would see that often. No worries boss, I'll just stay over and finish this you don't need to pay me.  2 years later you discipline the person and 2 years one week later you are getting a notice from the state for unpaid wage claim...

I am not aware of labour laws in my province that allows that type of compensated grievance.  However little that I know.  

9 hours ago, Longjohn said:

This is my sister in law. She never takes a very big percentage of the vacation she is supposed to get. Nobody else knows how to do her job so it waits for her when she gets back. She has been telling her boss that he needs to hire someone and get them trained but it hasn’t happened. She is retiring next year, I wonder how that will go?

Sorry to hear, she didn't take her earned vacation.