Fatbike heaven

dinneR

3 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

The Streepers are some of the best sprint racers in the world.  I'm more into distance touring and racing but sprint is fun to watch.

The event here was ceremonial. They had 5 dog sleds and most had a kid riding on the sled. It looks like the real race has them on 10 dog sleds.

4 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

Buddy and Lina travel in style.

28279577_1752493321480637_5137828005606209249_n.jpg.58a7d23eaa10ec971b0e511d461f12fb.jpg

No kidding. The rigs were huge. Looks like an expensive sport. The price purse is $165k

Just now, Digital_photog said:

the big purse is what attracts those kind of racers.  Sprint racing has a lot more money in it than distance racing.

I don't get the economics. Who puts up the money? The title sponsor is a dog food company. The rest of the sponsors are local companies. I can't believe they put up more than a few hundred bucks each. There are only 25 racers. 

Does the Beargrease or Iditarod pay out like this?

Just now, Digital_photog said:

Not even close.

And I find those much more interesting. 

Yeah, seems fitting. TDF pays out millions. They have chefs and get a massage everyday. Get a flat and someone rolls up with a new wheel. If you're thirsty, someone hands you a bottle. GDMBR is longer, you carry your own gear, eat at convenience stores and first prize is your name on a website. 

To fill in for those who don't know what we are talking about.  This post is copied from My friend Thom Swan on the Mush with P.R.I.D.E.  facebook page.

Posted January 25

The Pedigree Stage Stop race (also known as the Wyoming Stage Stop) is one of the most prestigious sled dog races in the Lower-48. The race format is similar to that of the Tour de France bicycle race, stopping in a different community each day. The race has been a long-time supporter of Mush with P.R.I.D.E.'s mission and requires competitors in the race to be PRIDE members.

The first stage of this year's race, from Jackson Hole to Alpine, will start tonight at 6:30 pm local time.

You can follow the progress of the race on their website at http://www.wyomingstagestop.org/

P.R.I.D.E. stands for Providing Responsible Information on a Dog’s Environment. The relationship between sled dogs and humans is one of the oldest bonds of its kind. Modern sled dog owners are proud of their dogs as canine athletes that are bred and trained to do what they love: run as part of a team.

Mush with P.R.I.D.E. supports the responsible care and humane treatment of all dogs and is dedicated to enhancing the care and treatment of sled dogs in their traditional and modern uses.

Mush with P.R.I.D.E. was established in 1991 as an organization of mushers who were concerned about the care of sled dogs and public perceptions of mushing. To address some of these concerns, P.R.I.D.E. developed sled dog care and equipment guidelines. We instituted a voluntary kennel inspection program and created a website to facilitate communication with dog mushers whose main concern is treatment and care of sled dogs.

To learn more about Mush with P.R.I.D.E. or to join, visit our website at www.mushwithpride.org

1 hour ago, dennis said:

The trail gets groomed every Monday and the piston bully lays down a classic track.

kN1YpCUZ1DhuXzbPm7lro_mDu32QkIv7-MRBmJkz40UQECQRlxyUAlSlbtJrqoOrN3MSsP0dM3wPt1Hv0hLW_dl_99LJJtaPib2EyrBSVI7anw5QcizIuWVtIxxWHlhA15UhSJbaYCcWDE_FtfKGNzhfpZRQfZXuf69cc7m0JEJ9F6wBWY5WkBJ2aHjOxlxVsi_LmqvvZt8r6FUZJ1uxWStM8B99fWSc5Pxr0i0LyKjzF2IYjM4XghJeboGid1SWgw_NXskw1ctMCJDAni5IXBYhalIj5Ss69Kb0XqClNS6-XLgGF4gmPZIo_wB-CJUqo_uWEpcfRgBhpWVftG-YQubB19ljmmU9e8XnTi4swk-4BpxM9jHlOK-8igE8zprgTmFIulnqVOMzWF6efJj-KFzFyWWD78lnMTL21t39oY0y8DhxYCH23dK0e_hmJl4M6tqtOvpj0Am2mkSXpMvzb7hS9U637sbluVf0fX7LsYvhImZh0tJJl1Sr2t9VRp7ZO5cyLTKLkTsmwDeOM4NQsZU-XPM1j6dED_rQxm9zhGrYx-9erLEhZLRMe_pEnRZBiq4KIgAH1t9cXsdPdE7ixJTFhSWrM7xCNTpV3fOwMz0hh_R_sDo08Bdnd_-HqAxzo-gbt21wD4onb1Fm-dJeCVeW=w1321-h744-no

I am working on a grooming program for one of our county parks.  For years they have groomed 3 parks with a classic track  We are getting more skate skiers and snowshoers so those tracks are getting messed up. We do have one 10 mile single track mountain bike trail in the one park that the local mountain bike club maintains and grooms for fat bikes.  I have been teaching mushing classes at the park closest to me and am working on a flat grooming plan that would make a flat groomed trail 4 to 6 feet wide for xc skiing, both skate and classic style, snowshoeing, fat bikes and dog sleds.  I have built a 4 ft wide groomer and am testing it on my trails on my farm 2 miles from the park.  Some people have been invited to test the trails and our plan is to start grooming  6 miles at the closest park for multi-use instead of only classic xc skiing.  So far people who have used my 7 miles of trail have liked it so I home it works good in the park too. I will be the one doing most of the grooming in that park.  This picture is taken on my farm next to my pond.  I am taking this picture just past the Y where 2 trails separate.

0120191258b.jpg.9de98aad8c32fb7057962c65b8e0bd75.jpg

2 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

I am working on a grooming program for one of our county parks.  For years they have groomed 3 parks with a classic track  We are getting more skate skiers and snowshoers so those tracks are getting messed up. We do have one 10 mile single track mountain bike trail in the one park that the local mountain bike club maintains and grooms for fat bikes.  I have been teaching mushing classes at the park closest to me and am working on a flat grooming plan that would make a flat groomed trail 4 to 6 feet wide for xc skiing, both skate and classic style, snowshoeing, fat bikes and dog sleds.  I have built a 4 ft wide groomer and am testing it on my trails on my farm 2 miles from the park.  Some people have been invited to test the trails and our plan is to start grooming  6 miles at the closest park for multi-use instead of only classic xc skiing.  So far people who have used my 7 miles of trail have liked it so I home it works good in the park too. I will be the one doing most of the grooming in that park.  This picture is taken on my farm next to my pond.  I am taking this picture just past the Y where 2 trails separate.

0120191258b.jpg.9de98aad8c32fb7057962c65b8e0bd75.jpg

Ours are groomed by the piston bully on the main path. Anyone can use that, XC skate or classic, hikers, fatbikes, and snow machines. The single track is packed in by the riders with some sections groomed by a sled. Most of it is tight twisty single track.

On 1/27/2019 at 7:13 PM, dennis said:

No kidding. The rigs were huge. Looks like an expensive sport. The price purse is $165k

You asked if distance races have a big purse like that.  Here is the purse for the John Beargrease

PURSE INFORMATION

$30,000 TOTAL PURSE AVAILABLE FOR 2019

That is the total purse for both the marathon and the 120 

Marathon winner only gets $5400

3 hours ago, dennis said:

Did you hear what happened? Streeper and LaForce were leading and both took a wrong turn that cost them the lead.  

I knew they lost the lead. Hadn't heard just what happened.  I follow the distance racing much closer.  Blake Freking took first in the Beargrease and his wife Jen was second.  Ryan Redington had a 90 minute lead out of the last checkpoint with only 36 miles to go.  His dogs got tired and quit on him.  He ended up in 6th place. It was disappointing for Ryan but still nice to see my friends Blake and Jen do so well.  Blake had won it once before.

58 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

I knew they lost the lead. Hadn't heard just what happened.  I follow the distance racing much closer.  Blake Freking took first in the Beargrease and his wife Jen was second.  Ryan Redington had a 90 minute lead out of the last checkpoint with only 36 miles to go.  His dogs got tired and quit on him.  He ended up in 6th place. It was disappointing for Ryan but still nice to see my friends Blake and Jen do so well.  Blake had won it once before.

https://buckrail.com/driggs-proves-disastrous-for-race-leaders-in-a-crazy-stage-6-leg/

Two of my friends are fatbiking the Beargrease route. Looks like they finished.

10 minutes ago, dennis said:

https://buckrail.com/driggs-proves-disastrous-for-race-leaders-in-a-crazy-stage-6-leg/

Two of my friends are fatbiking the Beargrease route. Looks like they finished. 

Jay is an amazing rider.  I've met him and rode several events he was in.  Can't say I rode with him.  He was always way ahead of me.  About the only thing we have in common in our riding is we both ride Salsa bikes.

4 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

Jay is an amazing rider.  I've met him and rode several events he was in.  Can't say I rode with him.  He was always way ahead of me.  About the only thing we have in common in our riding is we both ride Salsa bikes.

He is impressive. He is also very generous with his time and advice. The races he puts on are great affairs. Very well organized and lots of fun. I wonder if the Beargrease was a scouting project for a potential race similar to the ITI. 

7 minutes ago, dennis said:

He is impressive. He is also very generous with his time and advice. The races he puts on are great affairs. Very well organized and lots of fun. I wonder if the Beargrease was a scouting project for a potential race similar to the ITI.  

He is very friendly and helpful. 

Since you mentioned Lina Streeper's miscue I will share what she posted about it her facebook page.

This picture is from our way home after a long, much longer then planned, race day last week.

I wanted to share this w you all, what looked like a very bad day on the result sheet looked like this on the trail, 1/2mile from the finish line -pretty amazing right!? 10 STRONG dogs and mighty mountains in the background.

I missed a turn on the race course, and due to this we lost the race.

It sucks, it sucks big time!

Once I realized that I screwed up bad, I apologized to my team, lower the pase (as I knew it would be a long day) and just enjoyed the ride.
I decided to take a couple extra rest stops, but they wanted nothing of it, like -hey lady!? Let’s get going, we aren’t done yet!!!
Most climbs they were still too fast for me to get off the runners to be of any help, but I did what I could.

They didn’t care I screwed up, they love what they are doing -and I loved the ride.

Once we got back to the truck, all dogs were wagging their tails, licked my face, drank their Revive and was strutting around like the champs they are! Like they always do when we get back from a run.

It is so very important to keep your mind in the right place, especially working w animals. They feel what you feel!
If you loose your shit, so will they. If you stay cool, enjoy what you are doing, trust in them -so will they.

Did I not loose my shit!?
Of course I did -I just lost the race our entire crew has worked so hard to prepare for! We didn’t loose because we didn’t work hard enough, weren’t good enough, prepared enough, but because of my mistake!
But there’s a time and place for that -after dogs are fed and looked after. They should not have to feel my stress and rollercoaster of emotions.

I wiped my tears and we went out to drop and check on them once they had a good rest.
They all greeted us with kisses and lots of energy that night, like they just had the best day ever!!!

Next day we broke the track record w 10minutes!

Your day is what you make of it!

Tomorrow is a new day, next weekend a new race, next year a new stage stop.

51206927_2216063145123650_2672850936774262784_n.jpg

• Heart 1