Working for 50 years

shootingstar

Awhile ago a transit train driver was celebrated for working this long when he retired.  

Then he died 2 yrs. later.  

The backstory was:  he was pissing off other workers because he didn't keep to his schedule. His wife was sick for a long time and she died before he retired. He wasn't around to help or be by her side.  HIs children were urging him to retire in his early 70's.  He didn't retire until he was 78.  He wanted the honour of being no.1...and said so to work that long.  Others gave up and retired before he did.  

I've been earning a paycheck for 49.5 years. The first 4 years were part-time but I more than made up for that by working one or more second jobs over the years.

My first paychecks were 95¢ an hour.

I've been unemployed a total of 2 weeks. I took those 2 weeks off before going into basic training.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

Awhile ago a transit train driver was celebrated for working this long when he retired.  

The backstory was:  he was pissing off other workers because he didn't keep to his schedule. His wife was sick for a long time and she died before he retired. He wasn't around to help or be by her side.  HIs children were urging him to retire in his early 70's.  He didn't retire until he was 78.  He wanted the honour of being no.1...and said so to work that long.  Others gave up and retired before he did.  

Curious to what schedule he wasn’t keeping to?  His transit schedule or his retirement schedule?

My oldest brother had just retired at 63 and died of cancer a year later.  He had a good work life balance and travelled a lot.   I’m glad he didn’t slave away at his job waiting for retirement to have some fun.

It was a reminder to keep some balance in our lives.

• Heart 1

I knew a guy that worked 50 years for the same company. He was in the warehouse. Hard concrete floors doing hard work in drafty warehouse. When I knew him we were doing furniture delivery from the warehouse. There was a nice little celebration on the dock for him. No big shots were there

• Heart 2

4 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I planned to retire in my 50's, not rich but with stess-free finances and enough money for my hobbies, studies, and travel.

In my teens and 20's, in college, I was envious of the rich kids who didn't have to worry if their passions for dancing, art, acting, creative writing, etc. were going to make the mortgage payment later in life.  I wished I could be like them!

As I approached middle age, I realized I was a little better off than most and that's when the 50's plan crystallized: in retirement with a paid-off mortgage and steady income streams, I could be like those rich kids!

So that's what I did!  I began work around age 12, helping a friend's father lay hardwood floors on the weekends. Then at 16 I got a high school and early college job at a fast food place, putting in 20-48 hrs/week. I had college campus jobs after that then worked full time until age 55 3/4, when I retired.

I've studied piano, returned to chess, traveled, bought a bicycle whose use has been hot and cold due to health, and am currently looking into creative writing and studying violin/fiddle.

12 hours ago, shootingstar said:

68 would be 50 years for MANY people. Add in that, some folks can consider "starting" work much earlier than 18! I had jobs since I was ten or so :D cutting grass, cleaning pools, delivering newspapers, watching homes for vacationing neighbors, feeding pets, babysitting, other yard work, painting, etc..  Didn't have any of that money reported to DA MAN, though ?

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Curious to what schedule he wasn’t keeping to?  His transit schedule or his retirement schedule?

My oldest brother had just retired at 63 and died of cancer a year later.  He had a good work life balance and travelled a lot.   I’m glad he didn’t slave away at his job waiting for retirement to have some fun.

It was a reminder to keep some balance in our lives.

I think it was in-between, transit and retirement schedule. 

Though you lost a brother early, I'm glad he did it right in terms of the balance.

21 hours ago, shootingstar said:

He didn't retire until he was 78.  He wanted the honour of being no.1...and said so to work that long.  Others gave up and retired before he did

We had a guy at the place where I work that was like this. I think the company forced him to take retirement at age75.

I know that he didn't have any hobbies or any desire to travel all he wanted to do was work.

I worked at least part time from the age of 17 till last year.  Last year I only put in a couple of weeks as a consultant for my last company but still that makes 54 years.  If I work now, it's really only to support the secret lab or the deer food.  Womaxx still works at 65, mostly for the insurance.

Missing work is a toss up.  I don't miss the daily grind of going to work and coming home and some of the assorted and usually unnecessary bull shit involved in working for a stockholder owned company.  I do miss some of the interesting and even exciting at times work involved in the creation of new laser systems and uses for DARPA and even for some of our commercial customers.  It's a thrill to watch a satellite launch knowing that some of your equipment is on board.  It's even more thrilling to be told that the equipment survived the launch and turned on once in orbit.  I suppose that I miss work a bit because it wasn't the daily grind of going to an office or a factory and doing the same thing every day.

• Heart 3