New mattress shopping

Dirtyhip

I think next opportunity to get one, I will end up in Costco or Ikea to get one cheap.  At Costco, returns are easy if you don't like the mattress for any reason.  The last mattress I bought was the Heavenly mattress (same one they have at the Westin Hotels) which are nice and comfy, but I think a lot of folks have caught up to them in the comfort category, and the Heavenly was a bit expensive.

13 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I spent $2700 on a Tempurpedic and have never looked back or regretted that investment in my sleep health, lesser body aches. My wife and I fall asleep every night always saying how much we love our bed. I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

I was waking up daily with hip and back pain and our mattress was fairly new.  My wife thought it was from being tight but I figured it was the mattress.  The change in mattress alleviated the pain completely.

We gave the old one to our son and upgraded him from a twin to queen sized bed so it was a win win.

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Have 46 custom build you one.

All my mattresses are custom made :nodhead:

We are looking for a new motorhome but we have to find one with the same size bed so we can keep our custom built mattress. 

• Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, BR46 said:

I think that for the people who have too much money and don't know what to send it on.

Yup, if I had too much money and didn't know what to spend it on I would sit down and think for a while... think some more... then I would say, "Ah, how about a $51,000 mattress."  ?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Yup, if I had too much money and didn't know what to spend it on I would sit down and think for a while... think some more... then I would say, "Ah, how about a $51,000 mattress."  ?

It is kinda cool watching that machine run. It makes and assembles 1600 coils per minute 

8 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Are you insane?  Do you realize that is almost two years of spending for my family. 

@RalphWaldoMooseworth knows that sane minds don't spend cash like this.  :)

Don't blame me I just fix the machines that makes the springs. 

I think that it's just nuts on what they charge for a mattress. I know what goes inside and know how the heat treating is done on what kind of spring.

You can get a good mattress for a $1,000 that will hold up for a long time. 

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Dottles said:

I spent $2700 on a Tempurpedic and have never looked back or regretted that investment in my sleep health, lesser body aches. My wife and I fall asleep every night always saying how much we love our bed. I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

I'm the same way and resisted all the way. Tried two others, interspring and pillowtop. both of then were able to sag the inch or so that was covered my warranty and upgraded essentially to Tempurpedic. It has been great but after 6 or 7  years having to think about the eventual replacement. Do think they are overpriced though. Son just got the memory foam in a box beds from Amazon and likes then. Will try them out when we visit in March. While great memory foam doesn't transmit movement, thinking next time rather than king, get two twins so each mattress can be separately adjusted rather than syncing the two bases required to raise the king.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Tried two others, interspring and pillowtop. both of then were able to sag the inch or so 

This is because on some springs they cut costs on the heat treating of the springs. And the person operating the machine is not making sure that there'senough heat going into the spring.  Some brands make their own inersprings and don't pre compress the springs to prevent sagging. 

1 hour ago, BR46 said:

This is because on some springs they cut costs on the heat treating of the springs. And the person operating the machine is not making sure that there'senough heat going into the spring.  Some brands make their own inersprings and don't pre compress the springs to prevent sagging. 

Or perhaps the user was not satisfied and needed a way out. Fibers will naturally compress, but not the full 1 1/2 inches they required. But you can always help it out ? just before the inspector comes to lay a string across to measure the indent. Amazing what a lot of weight further compressed with a clamp will do for several hours, or so I hear. 

• Haha 1

On 1/28/2019 at 1:11 PM, Dottles said:

we have a tempurpedic... I love the damn thing!!! Ours moves up and down like a hospital bed... awesome for watching TV or when your SO is snoring like a damn chainsaw... raise it up a little and they stop!! 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

we have a tempurpedic... I love the damn thing!!! Ours moves up and down like a hospital bed... awesome for watching TV or when your SO is snoring like a damn chainsaw... raise it up a little and they stop!! 

The ONLY draw back is sometimes sex on them can be challenging. But that's what other rooms are for!!

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

The ONLY draw back is sometimes sex on them can be challenging. But that's what other rooms are for!!

where is your sense of adventure.... move the bed into any position and have at it... a little lower or higher can make a world of difference! 

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

That reminds me of the time we stopped in that mattress store to see what they had and we had a couple little granddaughters with us. We tried to control them but the sales person said to let them go, they won’t hurt anything.

I have done that with RO a couple of years ago, we had a lot of fun!

• Awesome 1

On 1/29/2019 at 4:08 PM, BR46 said:

I had to fix this today and got it running pretty dam good. Pumping out a queen size mattress every 5 minutes and 20 seconds.

Just making DH's new mattress. 

That's really cool.  My dad worked at Colgate for 30+ years.  He fixed machines that made toothpaste, soap, etc.  

• Heart 1