Thinking about taking the kids on an adventure

KrAzY

I know for a fact our kids can use a little more outdoor time and get away from the electronics... Today I was thinking on getting the kids into geocaching. It will make them stretch their legs more, and start using then noggins for finding hidden treasures spread across the land. Maybe it will also teach them what poisonous plants not to touch as well. 

I have always been a nature person... wanting to go out on hikes and long ass walks for fun... The wife said she will take picture of nature while we roam the lands... she is not really into wanting to find things left by others. 

Only time will tell on how long it takes my kids to figure out it's not for them and they are boring. 

• Heart 3

1 minute ago, smudge said:

Ooooh! That has always sounded neat to me. I am not too interested in stuff from other people, but it gives you a target. Good luck!

Thanks.... I think I will leave stuff but not take.. night hit up the dollar store for some weird things to ass if there is space available.

They also have the "After Dark" geocaches... basically you look for UV paint makes on trails with a UV flashlight and it gives you clues to where things are hidden... I think that after a few day finds I will work on night ones also.

• Awesome 1

My Aussie buddy loves to geocache and he has given my youngest son more than one raging case of poison ivy.  The go for out of the way hard to find ones.  Ryan carries old Scout patches with him to camps and uses them to replace whatever he takes from the cache when he finds one.

I have a good friend who has found at least one geocache in every county in Texas.  She plans trips around geocaching.

You should sign you boys up for Scouts and start going on hikes and camp outs and high adventure treks with them.  

We are going to race soap box derby cars that the Scouts built on Saturday at Irwin Park in McKinney.    You could come to that.....  

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

My Aussie buddy loves to geocache and he has given my youngest son more than one raging case of poison ivy.  The go for out of the way hard to find ones.  Ryan carries old Scout patches with him to camps and uses them to replace whatever he takes from the cache when he finds one.

I have a good friend who has found at least one geocache in every county in Texas.  She plans trips around geocaching.

You should sign you boys up for Scouts and start going on hikes and camp outs and high adventure treks with them.  

We are going to race soap box derby cars that the Scouts built on Saturday at Irwin Park in McKinney.    You could come to that.....  

I have not caught poison ivy or oak yet and handle it every year bare handed... something with my skins chemistry makes me super human I think.... not really sure... 

I think my boys are done with scouting.. a couple years in cub sources were enough because of the lack of participation on the other leaders... most were afraid to get dirty and didn't want to hike. We did a campout at the zoo once... it was a light drizzle and they all bitched about being wet.. My kids and I stayed for the three days. we were the only ones from the troop for 2 of the days. 

Sadly Saturday we are busy with gage's competition training for mma

We have a friend who really wants us to get into geocaching.  She won't hike with us, but she'll live vicariously through us.  I'm not a fan.  If I need to stop  what I'm doing to pick through a box of crap I should throw out I'll go in the basement to look for that M10 wing nut I just KNOW I have.

18 minutes ago, 12string said:

We have a friend who really wants us to get into geocaching.  She won't hike with us, but she'll live vicariously through us.  I'm not a fan.  If I need to stop  what I'm doing to pick through a box of crap I should throw out I'll go in the basement to look for that M10 wing nut I just KNOW I have.

I can find my 10mm socket, you really think I'm really going to find a geocache in the woods... I'm just going out for the hike :)

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, KrAzY said:

I have not caught poison ivy or oak yet and handle it every year bare handed... something with my skins chemistry makes me super human I think.... not really sure... 

I think my boys are done with scouting.. a couple years in cub sources were enough because of the lack of participation on the other leaders... most were afraid to get dirty and didn't want to hike. We did a campout at the zoo once... it was a light drizzle and they all bitched about being wet.. My kids and I stayed for the three days. we were the only ones from the troop for 2 of the days. 

Sadly Saturday we are busy with gage's competition training for mma

True dat.  I would go play in the woods for weeks and nearly everyone in my squad would end up with poison oak/Ivey but me and I crawled through the same crap they did.  My skin didn’t react to it like theirs did.

Sounds like a good time, outdoors fun is always good.

• Heart 1

My son was geocaching when we had the cabins at the lake. He didn’t keep any of the crap he found, he just put it back where he found it for the next person. It was mostly cheap rubber fishing baits. He saw there was one on an island and he was determined to find that one. Paddled for an hour upwind to get there. He found it within ten minutes.

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, Chris... said:

Is that like that pokeman thing?

It's more like a hide and seek kind of thing. Someone hid something at a certain place.. they give you the coordinates and you go hunt it down. Could be the size of a pill bottle colored in camo in the middle of the woods to the size of a 5 gal bucket. 

You never really know where it is unless it is stated on the log info page. 

Some hidden things have certain themes.