Don't get your honey where you get your money

Airehead

I had to meet with a supervisor today to discuss a rumor that they were dating (seeing, friends with benefits, whatever) a subordinate.   I was very professional, this was their response. I truthfully had never heard it. It did not feel like professional discourse to me.   This is someone I inherited with the position and today'discussion did not make me like or respect them any more than I did before.   That was  not much. 

7 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

This was you supervisor.  Was to a subordinate of just his or yours as well?

He supervises the person he is rumored to be seeing. I supervise him.   Technically as " the buck stops here" person I supervise all staff but he is her direct. 

People may pick up slang expressions and then use them without thinking about the appropriateness at the time.  As I get older I find some expressions of those younger to be "surprising" to use a word.  Familiarity sometimes leads people to be a bit more conversational and less professional in certain unfortunate cases.

And that ain't no shit.

Yes, even back in the day we had to arrange for a week or so of "civilian world correction" for sailors we knew were going home to visit family and relatives so that they would not cause mom's to faint away in shock.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Yes, even back in the day we had to arrange for a week or so of "civilian world correction" for sailors we knew were going home to visit family and relatives so that they would not cause mom's to faint away in shock.

I never heard Popeye say a single cuss word!  Not even when Brutus was moving in on his goyle Olive Oyl!

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Do you watch Below Deck Mediterranean?  It is mildly amusing.

I did not know such a show existed.  I will have to take a glance at it.

Hard to believe however that anything reality sailor related would ever make it to Television without a full time censor's presence.  Is this just temptation island on a boat? 

42 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I think this is “reality” TV following a mega yacht’s crew through it’s charters. You’re not missing anything. 

There was a brief time when I was first discharged from the Navy that I considered going back to Miami and trying to hire on as crew on some rich sob's boat.  It probably would have been like being a flight attendant on Wilbur's plane.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

There was a brief time when I was first discharged from the Navy that I considered going back to Miami and trying to hire on as crew on some rich sob's boat.  It probably would have been like being a flight attendant on Wilbur's plane.

Wilbur can probably relate to the show. I sort of enjoy it, at least it is better than the other reality shows mrs. Mooseworth watches, like those #{]%^* annoying housewives!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Airehead said:

I had to meet with a supervisor today to discuss a rumor that they were dating (seeing, friends with benefits, whatever) a subordinate.   I was very professional, this was their response. I truthfully had never heard it. It did not feel like professional discourse to me.   This is someone I inherited with the position and today'discussion did not make me like or respect them any more than I did before.   That was  not much. 

What was the response?  I don't see anything following the text.

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

“Don't get your honey where you get your money.”

I can see the source of your confusion, you’re now accustom to the British version of our spoken tongue.

Hmm, Aire must have really been angsty, not putting that in quotes or somesuch.  Maybe she was trying to confuse me, she is like that, you know.  I thought there must have been a missing video or image of some sort.

So as I read this, he denied banging the subordinate.  Perhaps he was trying to be more "comfortable" with the situation/conversation by using slang?  Dunno.  What did the subordinate say?

I have always tried to avoid any workplace relationships, but now I think that they might not be so bad in certain circumstances.  You spend much time with coworkers and see how they respond to different conditions, and you see their best and worst.  I suppose it is natural to "fish at the company pond", especially in the old days before dating apps like OkCupid and Bumble for most of us, and Grindr for Kzoo.

Never ok between a manager and subordinate, though, that kind of thing is sure to tear the office to shreds.

What is the next step, Aire?