Damn, it is cold.

sheep_herder

We carry insulated coats and overalls when traveling very far in minus temperatures.  I always have a balaclava and stocking cap with ear flaps with me and often, I already have them on when I get in the car. We only keep our house at about 63F, so the change is not as great for us as it is for you. Needless to say, the little lamb sleeping by my feet is warmer than the ones in the barn.  Some of the lambs sleep on their moms to stay warm. Stay warm!!

6 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...they told me here in California it's s'posed to be 30 below in parts of Minnesota tomorrow.  Not the wind chill, just the base temperature reading, then you can add any wind chill. That's pretty darn cold.

Here in Wisconsin with the wind chill it's -50°

Screenshot_2019-01-30-05-09-46.thumb.png.b18a6a3c64dfbd1b4f294fd3229cae39.png

8 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

5F at 8:00pm MST and I posted this for you folks that are suffering east of our location.:whistle: Hope you stay safe and warm.

5F?  I like Montana.  I like it a lot.  But this 5F degrees isn't an anomaly.  In fact, that's warm weather for you.  There's no way I could do it M.  I keep telling myself I've got Montana spirit but I'm too much of a cold weather wimp. 

15 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

37° here this morning.. still a great temp for riding the motorcycle to work :)

So jealous 

It's too cold to ride here even on the ice 

11033082_10206083324432931_1062163109887954828.jpg.14d3d13d1c3ef698f67e9e04155c2ab6.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

My brother tried to explain -34 once to LA natives. (They were complaining because it was 28 the same day it was -34 here). He finally said if you have ever been in a walk-in freezer, that's pretty cold, right? They agreed. Well it would have to warm up 34 degrees to be that nice out here! They were still lost, but it was as close as he could get. 

• Heart 1

Yeah...it doesn't translate to folks down south...unless you have experienced it..or at least close to it...you don't understand.  The guy who worked on my vehicle in Texas was part of a group of church teachers where I worked..and he liked to tell the story of opening up my hood and seeing "Good to -40" painted on the cover of the air filter :D  They kept asking me how I dressed? Well...hell you don't stand out in it all day...(unless you have to work outside)...you dress for it and limit your exposure.   I have mentioned it before..back when I was about 20 years old...after a "cold spell" it warmed up to -10 with no wind...just sunshine...and we went cross country skiing...properly dressed, using a chapstick like thing on your face...and we were good to go....and our "normal" route was 2 to 3 hours out in the woods...

• Heart 2

Yeah in respect to those dealing with the cold I won’t tease about our temps.  

To @groupw & @petitepedal points, we really don’t know what you are going through  and can’t relate.  I spent some time in DC and worked outside in 0 & below temps.  It’s cold but I can’t imagine what you are going through now.  

Probably why there are so many midwestern transplants in the sun belt...

3 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...block heaters, with all the cars that have to park out on the driveway attached to long extension cords from the house.:)  

I was in AK for business some years ago and  saw numerous parked cars with long extension cords sticking out of them.  

“Are those all electric cars?”  Californians....?  

• Haha 1

I got a new battery for the Civic last week since the old one was showing signs of failure at about 8 degrees.  This morning at -8 it just barely started wit the new battery - I need to confirm the cold cranking amp rating.  It took 2 good tries and I didn't think there was any juice left for the second try.  Tomorrow morning at -14 could be interesting.

• Heart 1

As I was coming down our road we saw some commotion up ahead. The Amish had been out on the pond harvesting ice for their ice house and when they tried to get back up on the road from the pasture the horses slipped on the ice and the ice shifted on the ice wagon and all the ice slid off the wagon and into the ditch. As I was getting there so was a guy with some gunny sacks of sawdust from the sawmill across the road. He was going to try to give the horses some traction to get up on the road. They will have to reload all those blocks of ice. They appear to be over 20” thick. It makes our car troubles sound not so bad.

I just finished getting the ice and snow off my car from the Tues and Wednes. dustings.  A glove was missing from my coat pocket - I hope I dropped it in the house - but luckily I had bought a new pair. But it was in the car.  So rushed out to the car and put them on - my hands getting cold in the process but better than being in the heavy, cold wind.

The front of my car points NNE and so my windshield to my headlights usually collect and retain ice and snow more than the rest of the car.  There was a lot of hard ice I had to gently scrape away and I let the motor run until the exhaust was warm.  The starter cranked nice and fast so I'll be good tomorrow when I get my oil changed at 1 pm. (upper teens temp, at least).

Buying a 5 qt container of 0W-20 full synthetic Mobil 1 at Walmart for $29 and taking it with me beats the heck out of the garage charging me $70 for oil. So it's sitting in my car and I wondered if I should bring it in the house as temps go below 10F, where I'd probably forget to take it tomorrow.  But a google turned up, "...synthetic oil has excellent stability through a wide temperature range. For example, Mobil 1 0W-20 oil pours at temperatures as low as –47 degrees Celsius and protects at oil temperatures as high as 205 degrees Celsius."  So I left it in the car.

• Awesome 1

15 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

...synthetic oil has excellent stability through a wide temperature range. For example, Mobil 1 0W-20 oil pours at temperatures as low as –47 degrees Celsius and protects at oil temperatures as high as 205 degrees Celsius."  So I left it in the car.

The thing that sold me on synthetic oil was how quick the oil light goes out in cold temps. With the old 10W40, I remember staring at that stupid oil light for what felt like minutes on end, with full synthetic it's off in seconds.

• Awesome 1

7 hours ago, Airehead said:

At what point do you worry about the barn animals being able to maintain warmth?

SH doesn't have to worry about that since he brings his animals into the living room in winter.  :nodhead:

• Heart 1

44 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I'd also say that's not a manly outfit. Then again, I'd dress in @Kzoo's wardrobe if it kept me warm.

The hat was one someone made when they were learning to knit. They made it too big to fit anyone but me. My wife made the scarf for me, it's warm. The face mask/balaclava was almost free when they closed the hardware store in town, the overall are insulated farmer overhalls, very manly.

• Heart 1

I can't wear this type mask/balaclava  with my glasses, as they will fog as I work.  I either have to forego the glasses or wear a more open faced balaclava.  Looks like they are forecasting a cool down for us beginning Sunday with lows near -10F and highs in the single digits.  We'll wait and see what happens.

• Heart 1

20 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...they told me here in California it's s'posed to be 30 below in parts of Minnesota tomorrow.  Not the wind chill, just the base temperature reading, then you can add any wind chill. That's pretty darn cold.

It's 50 degrees warmer in my refrigerator then it is outside. If you are adding in the wind chill it's 70 degrees warmer.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

I can't wear this type mask/balaclava  with my glasses, as they will fog as I work.  I either have to forego the glasses or wear a more open faced balaclava.  Looks like they are forecasting a cool down for us beginning Sunday with lows near -10F and highs in the single digits.  We'll wait and see what happens. 

Yesterday I had to take my glasses off to see anything. They would fog over and then the fog would freeze.  I was in a facebook group where there were pictures and talk about the balacavas and masks that many of the Arrowhead 135 racers were wearing.  The racers were saying that it was the only one they found that would do well to not fog your glasses.  I have had the problems as long as I have been wearing glasses. (nearly 60 years)  I decided to order one to see if they work as well as claimed.  It should be here Monday. My guess is that since I have a way to avoid some of the fogging that winter will be over before Monday.

Cold avenger

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

Yesterday I had to take my glasses off to see anything. They would fog over and then the fog would freeze.  I was in a facebook group where there were pictures and talk about the balacavas and masks that many of the Arrowhead 135 racers were wearing.  The racers were saying that it was the only one they found that would do well to not fog your glasses.  I have had the problems as long as I have been wearing glasses. (nearly 60 years)  I decided to order one to see if they work as well as claimed.  It should be here Monday. My guess is that since I have a way to avoid some of the fogging that winter will be over before Monday.

Cold avenger

Did you get the one that is on sale?

4D16A398-85E9-4B3F-8E59-0AAF016477F7.png

2 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Looks like we will be getting colder beginning Sunday.  Don't know if it will be heading your way. High is forecast to be in the upper 40s tomorrow.  It will be nice for the bull show on Main Street.

Supposed to be 60 here Sunday.  I am going to sit out in the front yard in a speedo.

• Haha 1

Ignoring the 60 degree Florida jokes (it was 45 this morning), it was an excellent time to go to Blue Springs State Park. Manatee have about the same temperature tolerance as humans...but they can't bundle up in a coat. That is why we get the manatee runs from the river - which has abundant food - to the 72 degree year round springs for the warmth. Despite the water being 72, swimming is prohibited when manatee are present.

MAnatee 2019 - 2500px-21.jpg

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Ignoring the 60 degree Florida jokes (it was 45 this morning), it was an excellent time to go to Blue Springs State Park. Manatee have about the same temperature tolerance as humans...but they can't bundle up in a coat. That is why we get the manatee runs from the river - which has abundant food - to the 72 degree year round springs for the warmth. Despite the water being 72, swimming is prohibited when manatee are present.

MAnatee 2019 - 2500px-21.jpg

Man, those things are ugly!